Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Costs Order Being Ignored

Hi,

We had our final trial last spring, where I was self represented against ex and her lawyer. I won the trial.

Subsequently, we made costs submissions and I also received a judgement for ex to pay costs, which she is now refusing to do.

What remedies are available to me in order to get her to comply with the cost judgement?

Originally posted by selfrepguy View Post
    Hi,

We had our final trial last spring, where I was self represented against ex and her lawyer. I won the trial.

Subsequently, we made costs submissions and I also received a judgement for ex to pay costs, which she is now refusing to do.

What remedies are available to me in order to get her to comply with the cost judgement?
    You can possibly bring a motion possibly to have the justice enforce the costs through the Family Responsibility Office.

More than likely if the costs order is a large one, the other party will file bankruptcy to try and get out of it. If they do... Fight it tooth and nail and come back here if you need assistance.

Good Luck!
    Tayken

Comment

Thanks Tayken .. it's not a big cost award at all, since I was self-rep'd and the judge even allowed her to make LOW monthly payments, which she is refusing to make.

I'll pursue the FRO angle and see how far it'll go.

Comment

Originally posted by selfrepguy View Post
        Thanks Tayken .. it's not a big cost award at all, since I was self-rep'd and the judge even allowed her to make LOW monthly payments, which she is refusing to make.

I'll pursue the FRO angle and see how far it'll go.
        It may require a specific clause for enforcement through FRO. You could also ask the justice to update the order to include that clause possibly. You would need to book a "special session' with the justice and inform the other party.

Comment

@selfrepguy.....

Congrats on your VICTORY.....

Comment

Originally posted by FWB View Post
            @selfrepguy.....

Congrats on your VICTORY.....
            There are no victories in family law. Family law is not a win-lose situation. Family law is not a battle. It is a dispute resolution service in our public system of justice and those who view it as a battle are only going to find themselves at the end of a costs order, put their children at risk of emotional harm and end up only losing.

No one wins in family law... There are no winners... only losers...

Good Luck!
            Tayken

Comment

There are no victories in family law.
              I concur, perhaps it was the wrong word. It can be replaced with the phrase....he had a decision go his way!

No one wins in family law... There are no winners... only losers...
              Hmmm...What about lawyers then, don't they end up winning i.e. get paid anyway?

Comment

FYI, I have an order with VERY specific wording for costs and it has never been enforced by FRO. I actually had the wording from FRO's lawyers that was required to be in an order for them to enforce it and they still didn't enforce it. Its been 13 years and the amount has never been added to my arrears. FRO seems to do what they want and when they want to for the most part. It is next to impossible to force their hand, even if they are legally obligated to. As is trying to get someone on the telephone unless you are unemployed and can wait around all day on hold or for a return call.

Curious if this would now by a small claims issue? If you have an order for the costs already, it may be?

Comment

Actually, I'm wondering if you have the Order for the Costs and the wording is sufficient for the FRO to garnish, if you got your MP office involved. I know that the MPs have their own contacts at FRO and it may be the easiest way to at least determine if you have the correct wording for FRO enforcement or not.

Curious, how much were you awarded for costs considering you were self rep'd and did you get any insight as to how a judge came up with this figure? If you can't share publicly would you be able to PM me? We are going to trial as self rep next week

Comment

Tayken has discussed this issue in the past and the going rate for self represented people who are informed and prepared and documented their time preparing is around $100 per hour.

Comment

@ Serene: Contact the Ombudsman

Ontario Ombudsman - Who We Oversee

Regarding costs, check this one out: (From the case of a poster on this site)

CanLII - 2011 ONSC 7476 (CanLII)

Comment

Thanks Tayken,

There's another cost award that, after today, will be overdue.

This motion had nothing to do with child- or spousal support. Can that also be collectible by FRO?

If not, what avenues are open for collection of non support related costs?

Comment

Small Claims court. Its quite easy to file a claim and as long as you have your documentation in place. You should be successful. I took someone to small claims over an insurance claim they did not pay. It cost me $75, took a couple of weeks to get to court and done.

Comment

Are you positive about small claims court for a family law cost judgement?

Comment

Well its not for section 7 expenses or CS is for costs so I don't see why not. My experience was for an insurance issue. Someone hit my car, agreed to lay for,the cost of repair to keep it,out of their insurance and then I presented the bill, which had been agreed upon in writing. She refused to pay. So why not small claims for judge ordered costs.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X