Mediation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mediation

what would somebody need to go into their first mediation session? a new offer to settle or can a previous one be used?

Ask the mediator. It depends on the issues.

If it's the first session, it may help to start fresh and go in with a list of the issues rather than going in with a set of preconceived expectations for how to resolve them. You will want to bring some standard documentation like 3 years of tax returns, perhaps a current budget, an NFP if you have one.

Take this with a grain of salt. I haven't done mediation myself. Honestly, speak to the mediator.

Comment

thank you. i'm asking for a friend. i think it's probably better that he goes in fresh but he thinks that since the last offer wasn't negotiated that it would be good enough. he's in court too and the parties were referred to mediation to try to settle.

Comment

I found the negotiation of the separation agreement is basically a golden apple problem.

Each party has their "golden apple". This is the item or issue that they value more than all of the others. If the mediator or the parties can discover the golden apples (which sometimes aren't obvious) it becomes much simpler.

In my case, the golden apple turned out to be giving my partner back the down payment on our house which came from her family. She wasn't legally entitled to it, but it was the thing that pissed her off the most (me getting some of her family money in equalization). My golden apple was that I wanted joint custody and decision making because our son has special needs and I wanted him to have both parents involved in deciding how to get those needs met to give him the best chance of success.

Once we learned what was most important to each of us, the rest of the pieces (even spousal support) were agreed to much more easily.

It's also pretty much impossible to discover the golden apples by having lawyers firing angry letters at each other. The parties have to communicate with each other what they want, and why they want it. It can take time for that to all come out.

Comment

oh i see. for him i think its fear of dividing assets and paying cs ss imho. for her i really think its about the kids and keeping them as close to their previous routines as possible. my friend isnt budging. maybe i can suggest to him your idea of the golden apples. thanks for the tip!

Comment

Ground rules for mediation! See my thread on this.

Comment

Both of their fears are probably stupid.

Let me explain.

If he makes more money, he's going to have to pay support. He will have to accept that.

The kids routines WILL change somewhat, and she's now going to have to share certain things with the dad. He might want 50-50, and she may not think that is reasonable. She will have to accept that it is.

The biggest thing that both parties can do to prepare for mediation is to accept that things have changed and will continue to change, and they need to pull their heads out of their asses and change with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Serene View Post
                Ground rules for mediation! See my thread on this.
                hi serene. can you point me to your thread? i'm new here.

Comment

Originally posted by Straittohell View Post
                  Both of their fears are probably stupid.

Let me explain.

If he makes more money, he's going to have to pay support. He will have to accept that.

The kids routines WILL change somewhat, and she's now going to have to share certain things with the dad. He might want 50-50, and she may not think that is reasonable. She will have to accept that it is.

The biggest thing that both parties can do to prepare for mediation is to accept that things have changed and will continue to change, and they need to pull their heads out of their asses and change with it.
                  kids are 4 3 and 1 all girls. i never really liked the mother but saw the court material. ive grown some respect for her because she does sound pretty reasonable. she wants to get the kids to school age before a 50-50 and set a date when she proposes it to start. shes initially wanted a 30-70 but has compromised to a short-term 40-60. my friend wants her to agree to 20 so that he doesn't have to pay any support. this is what he wants to go into mediation with the offer that hasnt been negotiated. i encourage him to be more reasonable because this stuff gets found out and i don't think itll look good for him. who knows if he'll drop me as a friend but trying because i do care about what happens to him. can he lose the kids if hes unreasonable like that?

Comment

Her reasons for delaying 50-50 are unreasonable, as dad's are perfectly capable of handling even 1 year old kids just as well.

His reason of getting more access for his kids so that he doesn't pay support is callous and selfish.

He will not get them more than 60% unless she is incompetent, so he better accept early on that he will be paying some kind of child support if he makes more money than her. He should let the mediator explain exactly how it will go down.

From my own personal experience in mediation, I clued in pretty quickly that any posturing and maneuvering around child support is completely pointless. The amounts are largely determined by federally establish tables, and are difficult to challenge. He won't lose his kids by being an idiot about it, but he won't get them more than 60% of the time either, so he may as well just drop it. Same thing with division of assets. All assets and debt gets divided 50-50 in most cases, and it is only in the exact nature of the split (who keeps the house, who keeps the pension, etc. etc.) that either party has any control over.

With that stuff in mind, I made my own focus in mediation to be about managing how much I would have to pay (or not pay) in spousal. It was a smart decision on my part, because by settling the non-issues earlier, I was able to focus more on that little golden egg of mine.

Bottom line is that your friend needs to pick his battles, and know where to give concessions so that he has enough bargaining chips set aside to get the things that are most important to him.

Comment

will he compromise his case going in with an older offer to the mother for 20 to avoid support? will the mother seem more reasonable for budging from a set 30-70 to a temporary 40-60? they're going into something called open mediation which i think can be used in court. what can i tell him? i never really liked her much but i dont think hes really thinking about the kids.

Comment

You should re-read what I just wrote.

Picking a selfish, unreasonable, and unrealistic position will not 'compromise' his case, he just won't be successful.

They should be ditching all of their respective posturing and picking a 60-40, or 50-50 position, and they should be discussing, like proper adults, how they would build a schedule around what would benefit the kids.

He has to recognize that he will be paying support. She has to recognize that she won't get to see her kids as much. They're both going to lose something out of this, but that's what divorce is.

Your friend should come on this site, browse the various threads and/or horror stories, consider what the vast majority of people end up getting, and then be reasonable.

Comment

omg omg omg!

just spoke with my friend. we're both attending a conference and im just about to go into a meeting. this is quick and hopefully when its done i might have some answers here.

i asked if he was going to draft a new offer for mediation and suggested it would be better for him. all he said was 'there's something to say for an alcoholic and the mentally ill. sexual abuse is not tolerated either. everythings good.' he tipped his hat and walked off to his next meeting.

im confused and a bit afraid about what hes intending to do. i never liked her she was quiet but always a good mom. she was friendly enough but i didnt have anything in common with her. shes a stayathome mom with odd jobs. i travel and have a career. she has kids i dont. we have nothing in common.

she has sole custody of a teenage son from a previous relationship.
                          im afraid for what he implied. am i out of my mind to think the worst in what he said to me? is this possible? did i imagine the implication? i dont even know what im supposed to understand since i asked about preparing for mediation. what damage will this do if i heard it right? omg!

i dont know how to contact her. she changed her numbers and blocked me from facebook. i dont know where she lives. im out of town too. i also dont want to come across like a loon!

anyone have thoughts? sorry gotta go. shoot!

Comment

Take a deep breath.

People say all kinds of BS during a separation, it brings out the worst in people. People make all kinds of allegations, many of them untrue.

In court, it isn't what you say, it is what you can prove.

Mental illness -is there a diagnosis from a psychiatrist?
                            Alcoholism - is there an admission or doctors diagnosis?
                            Sexual Abuse?

I've been accused of gambling, being abusive and controlling. My ex would wholeheartedly deny she said those things today.

Comment

got out of my last meeting a few minutes early. noticed my post was moved. sorry if i posted on wrong board... thanks for your response dtd. to answer your questions: mental illness? never appeared the case. my friend always described her as the center of his world and how much he loves her. alcoholism? aside from a drink or two provided by him, at every function i saw her manage not only their kids but everyone's kids. it was a bit of a running joke that 'entertainment' didnt need to be hired if she was coming. she kept all the kids pretty busy and they loved her. sexual abuse? from her son? no. ive never gotten a weird vibe from him. helpful, smart, funny and usually assumed the role of a server whenever we all got together. a really sweet young man.

my friend always described her to be everything to him. he never complained about her capabilities to care for children and i certainly witnessed that capability. he always talked her up to be incredible. i dont know what my friend is about to do if he hasnt already. it concerns me i feel stuck. and i feel sick.

i guess im asking what will happen to her if he does do something stupid. will the kids be taken from her and will she be investigated? criminally? civilly? i think this is wrong but struggle with what he implied earlier today. havent seen him since and im kinda glad. what will happen to the boy's future if hes charged criminally for a bogus offense? he wants to be a lawyer.

is any of this allowed in family law? what are the laws? more importantly what are the holes in the law if hes planning on strategically basing his case on these types of accusations to avoid support obligations? how can i talk him out of it if i heard him right? i dont know if hes implemented any action but i am truly left with a chilling sense. why would i as a long-time friend encourage reasonable mediation if i suspect underhanded maneuvers to get her to agree to 20 access.

will she be robbed of the 3 little kids until this settles? what is she up against? do i have to listen to my friend and support what i think he'll do when i dont see a basis for it? based on my own experience growing up i cant think that this will be good for those 3 little girls.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X