Minor errors in affidavits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minor errors in affidavits

How big of a deal are these minor errors really? And should you be contacting your lawyer to correct them?

By way of example, if you mentioned in exhibit "X" of my affidavit, but really you meant exhibit "Y" of the applicant's affidavit

and if you referenced a wrong date, example you said your Wednesday visit on January 17th of 2013 but Wednesday wasn't on January 17th in 2013, etc.

do these minor things effect credibility? Is it worthwhile having these corrected?

In my experience financial errors are important.

In order to retain credibility one would think that disclosure of the error, forthwith, would be prudent.

Minor errors in labeling exhibits are not important if the reference to the exhibit flows in your affidavit.

Comment

Thanks, I will mention to him and will likely correct.

Financial never been a problem, always consented to child support, expenses, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by trinton View Post
        How big of a deal are these minor errors really? And should you be contacting your lawyer to correct them?

By way of example, if you mentioned in exhibit "X" of my affidavit, but really you meant exhibit "Y" of the applicant's affidavit

and if you referenced a wrong date, example you said your Wednesday visit on January 17th of 2013 but Wednesday wasn't on January 17th in 2013, etc.

do these minor things effect credibility? Is it worthwhile having these corrected?
        You can fix these with an small update. Your lawyer just has to file and serve a letter with the corrections. No big deal. They don't effect credibility. I have read HUNDREDS of affidavits where I have to hunt around the tabs because it is scheduled wrong. It is annoying but, not an issue of credibility. Unless the schedule is not there and when asked can't be produced.

As well, I have read THOUSANDS of affidavits where people put the wrong day of the week with the wrong date. The date is what matters, not the day of the week you provided. Most judges can't juggle all the information and stick with the raw date. Unless there is a significant to the date like Monday is always the exchange date etc... But, usually people get those correct.

Trust your lawyer.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X