No announcement yet.

Halloween. What is all the fuss about?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Halloween. What is all the fuss about?

Well firstly I should clarify that I do not care for Halloween. To me its just a commerical grab at money before we sink all our monies into good cheer and Christmas.

But it seems that soon Halloween will outrank Christmas or any other " holiday" for spending. And what do we spend our money on? Silly costumes and candy and in the case of adults booze.

Yes, this Year Halloween falls on a Friday so yipee big big party night. All the bars are geared up, lots of big events. People calling it a holiday! Well its not a holiday its a pagen celebration of all that is bad and evil in the world.

We encourage our children to dress up and go begging for candy from strangers. Our youth will use tonight to dress up and run around screaming and drinking.

Just cannot see the point to it. Its just a big American commerical ripoff.

This past week I have been greeted with "Happy Halloween". Really, next we wIll be giving gifts for Halloween and family suppers. Oh,wait that is already happening.

Its a puzzle. Ps I will not be participating. No candy, no parties, no dressup.

Well its not a holiday its a pagen celebration of all that is bad and evil in the world.
    Most holidays center around pagan celebrations.

Easter is a celebration of the spring equinox (bunnies and eggs are symbolic for a reason).

The Thanksgiving feast actually centers around commonly celebrated harvest festivals prevalent in many cultures.

Christmas/Winter Celebration has various meanings for different cultures and religions and prior to the Christians renaming it...was the Roman Winter solstice celebration.

I could go on but the point is that holidays or celebrations are relevant for what they mean to you and your family. How on earth could you suggest that Halloween is a celebration of all that's bad and evil in the world? LOL...what a ridiculous statement.

When my children were little, they loved Halloween. They got to dress up, see their friends costumes and got to see all the neighbors. I always liked seeing everyone's kids and getting a chance to say "hi" to their parents. I can't see anything wrong in a holiday that's designed to be very fun for children. Social holidays where communities get to say hello to each other are wonderful.

I also used to have a lot of fun making hand-made, creative costumes for my kids with stuff from the dollar store. I always did it for around $0-10 bucks.

Of course, my kids are older now so its not an important holiday anymore but if adults want to go out and have fun...good for them. What's wrong with someone wishing you Happy Anything? You're under no obligation to celebrate it or to buy anything but why begrudge others for enjoying the day?

I actually work in a company where a lot of people have little kids and many of them are planning to leave early tomorrow to go home and spend time with their kids and have some fun which is something that they don't do everyday. I think its great.

Happy Halloween!

Comment

I actually did not say I begrudge the Halloween celebration for anyone who chooses. I just voiced my opinion, Just as you have voiced yours, that Halloween is a commerical grab.

I took my kids, spent hours making costumes for my kids. But the Halloween of our youth has gone. And I did not have to check all the candy to make sure some crazy has not spiked them with needles or razors.

Its not a " holiday" as that would suggest stat holidays for all. Only those with a hangovwr will meed the day off lol.

Just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Beachnana View Post
        I actually did not say I begrudge the Halloween celebration for anyone who chooses. I just voiced my opinion, Just as you have voiced yours, that Halloween is a commerical grab.

I took my kids, spent hours making costumes for my kids. But the Halloween of our youth has gone. And I did not have to check all the candy to make sure some crazy has not spiked them with needles or razors.

Its not a " holiday" as that would suggest stat holidays for all. Only those with a hangovwr will meed the day off lol.

Just my opinion.
        I agree with you.

Comment

Do you celebrate your birthday?
          What about valentine's day?

Comment

I live out in the 'boonies' so there's little chance of trick-or-treaters showing up at my door unless they are chaufeured by their parents. When my son was young, we would decorate the house and invite his school friends to party with us ... they ended up having more fun, more junk to eat and the other parents were pleased with the safe environment.

Like my son would say: "easy pickings".

My only complaint about Halloween is that as soon as it's over, the stores clear away the costumes and bring out the X-mas crap and the hells-bells music!!! I avoid the big-box stores until mid January. I can't stand the noise or the swarms of angry shoppers.

Comment

Originally posted by Links17 View Post
              Do you celebrate your birthday?
              What about valentine's day?
              nope to both of them for me.

Comment

Originally posted by standing on the sidelines View Post
                nope to both of them for me.
                Me either... my birthday usually falls on a long weekend in the summer and any long weekend from May to October I am swamped at work and work late, thus its just another day. As for V-day... such a waste of a day... all it is (in my opinion) is a bunch of couples who pretend to have perfect lives. My fiance and I share time out together on a regular basis, we don't need a "holiday" for us to do that.

Comment

Valentines day is another big commerical ripoff. So not really except to remember how much I love my husband and remember to tell him.

Birthday yes, but certainly not with the crazy Halloween ripoff. Oh of course cards are sent but I make my own.

Its not the same though as Halloween. halloween has gone from the home grown family fun to a big commercial adult focused ripoff.

Just saying its not my favourite time of year. So will avoid it like the plague.

Comment

So for the 3 of you, none of your spouses get you anything for birthday or valentine's day and never have? Just curious...

Comment

I loved Halloween as a kid and while I don't relish the idea of answering the door to anyone I don't know, I think it's just something we have to do if we want to live in a community with other people/neighbours.

I never find myself feeling pressured at Halloween whatsoever. Pressured for what? Buying some cheapo candy? Nuts. When I was a younger adult (many years ago) I used to like going out at Halloween to watch the bar-hoppers all dressed up. I get a kick out of people's creativity when it comes to costumes (young and old).

I guess if you don't want to participate you can lock your doors, shut off your lights and go hide in the basement.

Comment

I loved dressing up as a kid. I'm glad that Halloween has become an "excuse" for silliness and fun. I don't shell out candy. I shell out home-made crafts that I make with my kids. It's always a hit and my house usually gets hit up first. I kid you not. Through the process, I get to spend time with my kids and teach them that "giving" a treat is sometimes the better reward. I've never bought store-bought candy and I doubt I ever will. Also, when I return from trick-or-treating with my kids, and I shell out the treats with my kids in tow, I ask for a TRICK. It's about the spirit of silly fun. dress up, be silly, and spending the time with the kids preparing for an occasion that traditionally has been reserved for kids. It's that simple. It's THEIR big day of the year. And now we can join in too. But only if we choose.

My 2 cents.

As for Valentines? Well, my view on that, after being bitten twice in marriage, no. Love should not be celebrated superficially once per year. Love is an experience the whle year through. Again my 2 cents.

Comment

I don't celebrate my birthday and don't want gifts but I like any day that gets me out of work early or off completely to spend time with my kids and significant other.

Holidays are what you make them...if they're important to you, you make them about spending time with family and friends.

So I still don't understand the statement that Halloween is a celebration of all that's bad and evil in the world. When I look outside on Halloween, I see a bunch of kids dressed up in cute costumes, having fun and saying trick or treat to their neighbours. And I see groups of parents walking their kids around and talking to other parents. What's bad or evil about that?

Comment

Originally posted by Just'in View Post
                            I loved dressing up as a kid. I'm glad that Halloween has become an "excuse" for silliness and fun. I don't shell out candy. I shell out home-made crafts that I make with my kids. It's always a hit and my house usually gets hit up first. I kid you not. Through the process, I get to spend time with my kids and teach them that "giving" a treat is sometimes the better reward. I've never bought store-bought candy and I doubt I ever will. Also, when I return from trick-or-treating with my kids, and I shell out the treats with my kids in tow, I ask for a TRICK. It's about the spirit of silly fun. dress up, be silly, and spending the time with the kids preparing for an occasion that traditionally has been reserved for kids. It's that simple. It's THEIR big day of the year. And now we can join in too. But only if we choose.

My 2 cents.

As for Valentines? Well, my view on that, after being bitten twice in marriage, no. Love should not be celebrated superficially once per year. Love is an experience the whle year through. Again my 2 cents.
                            Exactly how Halloween should be celebrated, although I admire the whole homemade craft bit. I must admit I did the candy bit with my kids.

But now its not just kids its all about commerical hype and adult parties. " they took paradise and put up a parking lot".......

Anyway, each to their own is fine. I just wanted to voice my opinion on Halloween and thats okay. For all you Dads and Moms out there who will take out their kidlets tomorrow night have fun. To all those adults who will just put on some makeup and use the anominity as an excuse to raise hell and drink goodluck with that as well. Not my style.. I hear Halloween is a good night to go shopping as the stores are empty. So I am up for some,shopping therapy.
                            Last edited by Beachnana; 10-30-2014, 11:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Beachnana View Post
                              I hear Halloween is a good night to go shopping as the stores are empty. So I am up for some,shopping therapy.
                              Well, then you'll be ahead of us for that Xmas shopping then! By a day! No biggie. If you don't dig Halloween. Personally, I love it. An excuse to be silly, dress up and be a big (fat) kid again!

The crafts I make with my kids are nothing fancy. I have an art background and always look for ways my kids can be creative. So one year we did pumpkin pom poms mad out of orange yarn and black felt faces got glued on. Another year, I printed out a basic template for black felt drawings. The kids filled in the theme of that year (Dora). When they were done with their drawings, I photocopied them. Together we rolled them up and tied orange and black ribbon on them. We also gave out packets of 3 crayons to go with it. Other years we've done basic origami.

MUCH cheaper than buying candy depending on where you live.

But planning the treat of the year with my kids has always been the most sought-after annual event that they start talking about mid-summer. I enjoy it. I extend myself for my own selfish reasons and because I enjoy it; the time with my kids. Not everyone can do that and there's nothing wrong with that.

Enjoy shopping tomorrow night.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X