summer vacation schedule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• summer vacation schedule

I have my kids (12&11) for two non-consecutive weeks in July & August, agreement is in place now for two years, if mediation does not go well, what are the chances a judge will grant at least 1 week July and 2 August, or even 50/50

Any thoughts please!?

Originally posted by tmsrtl View Post
    I have my kids (12&11) for two non-consecutive weeks in July & August, agreement is in place now for two years, if mediation does not go well, what are the chances a judge will grant at least 1 week July and 2 August, or even 50/50

Any thoughts please!?
    If you have an agreement and there is no material change in circumstance a judge will order the agreement be followed. If you have two non-consecutive weeks then you have them by agreement made on consent.

So if you take the first week and the third week of July then you have followed the agreement. If you take one week in July and one week in August then you have followed the agreement. Why does the matter even need to go to mediation? The agreement was made on consent from how I read what little you have provided.

You should have strong wording about who gets to pick first in the year and when the notice has to be given. You may need some stronger wording in the agreement to outline this but, the probability of success on having an agreement made on consent enforced is generally high.

Good Luck!
    Tayken

Comment

Thank you Tayken....

each year switches who has the first choice of when.... this year would be mine.
      1 week July & 1 week August..... 2 weeks in August and 1 July would be nice, going on a longer vacation, like Europe. (the same for the other side of course)

What would constitute a "material change"?

Comment

Originally posted by tmsrtl View Post
        Thank you Tayken....

each year switches who has the first choice of when.... this year would be mine.
        1 week July & 1 week August..... 2 weeks in August and 1 July would be nice, going on a longer vacation, like Europe. (the same for the other side of course)

What would constitute a "material change"?
        You will have a hard time having it changed from non-consecutive.

A material change would be a child expressing the desire to have a 2+ week consecutive residency with you and that child is 14+. You would need to get a voice of the child report done at minimum to show that there is no parental influence. The process would take easily a year to get to trial.

Depending on the children's ages if they are 16+ then it gets way easier.

Comment

First mistake, agreeing to 2 "non-consecutive" weeks. Never agree to that. Children love both parents and they sure deserve more than 2 "non-consecutive" weeks during the summer months.

CAUTION! BE VERY CAREFUL AND PAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO THE WEEKS YOU CHOOSE! Often the custodial parent will set the summer schedule so that although you are getting a week, you are giving up your weekends to her, so you are not really getting more time, maybe 1 or 2 days, and are giving up your weekends. Be very careful. Keep your weekends.

If you want to travel for 2 weeks, that's completely reasonable. Tell her You have plans to travel to X country from X date to Y date and will be staying at U hotel. Tell her you would still like to see your kid in the other month as well. If she say's no you bring a motion. Your plans to travel is a material change for this summer's access/holiday schedule.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X