Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changes to Support Amount with Fro

Hello,
    I'm new here and so far I see this site as an amazing vault of knowledge and experience! Hoping someone can give me a second opinion on something. My ex sent my child support to FRO last year. The amount to be paid was $500.00 per month. I have been paying it every month, never been late.
    We recently went through a legal custody battle, and my child support payment was reassessed. It was increased to just under $800.00 per month. Her lawyer neglected to put in an actual dollar amount into the final order, and it was signed by a judge. Now they are coming back saying that FRO won't amend the child support amount because it's not listed on the final order. They sent us an amendment and want us to sign it so it can be signed by a judge and given to FRO. My question is this - can I just say tough luck, your lawyer messed up and you can reassess the amount next year, or do we HAVE to sign the amendment?

Thank you!!

you should sign it as you know its the correct amount. Amounts are changed every year for the most part.

You don't sign, she takes it to court and you WILL be paying her legal fees plus still paying in the end.

Why do you keep saying "we" in your posting? I take it you are the new partner or something?
    Last edited by standing on the sidelines; 11-29-2016, 10:36 AM.

Comment

CS is the right of the child not your ex. Does your child deserve to miss out on the increased amount because you want to argue neglect from a lawyer? Sign the forms and dont be a jerk. You both know the amount, the order issue is moot.

Comment

Not trying to be a jerk. My ex gets $1900 a month from baby bonus plus welfare.
        She makes more money every month than I do because of this.
        I had my kids every weekend for the last 3 years, now I have lost half my custody and only see them every 2nd weekend. I am heartbroken over this and angered that because she can get legal aid and I have to pay for a lawyer that she can keep attacking me legally. I'm just checking to see if I can finally get one small win out of this.
        I want my kids full time, and am willing to pay 100% of everything for them should they live with me. I just can't afford to fight her in court anymore and she won't go to mediation

Comment

I am heartbroken over this and angered that because she can get legal aid and I have to pay for a lawyer that she can keep attacking me legally.
          You know that famous saying in family court .. "Legal Aid gives you wings". I find it disgusting how some people leach off the Welfare/Legal Aid system.

But yea .. sign it. If she's going to continue using our tax dollars to be high conflict in court I suggest you start studying the FLR's, caselaw, etc and be your own lawyer for your bank account's sake.

What ever you do, don't join the "high conflict party". There might not be dollar amount in the order...but there are surely transcripts or other forms of proof that it was said..plus you know it was said. Don't go down that road or it'll bite you in the tooshy.
          Last edited by LovingFather32; 11-29-2016, 01:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rockscan View Post
            CS is the right of the child not your ex. Does your child deserve to miss out on the increased amount because you want to argue neglect from a lawyer? Sign the forms and dont be a jerk. You both know the amount, the order issue is moot.
            Paying CS has nothing to do with being a good parent. CS transfers money from one adult to another. You can make believe that CS is for the child when talking to the general public, but don't try to push that crap on this forum. It is complete bullshit and we all know it.

Comment

Originally posted by Janus View Post
              Paying CS has nothing to do with being a good parent. CS transfers money from one adult to another. You can make believe that CS is for the child when talking to the general public, but don't try to push that crap on this forum. It is complete bullshit and we all know it.

I was attempting to point out that refusing to pay an amount he knows was ordered due to a mistake in the papers was ridiculous. Im sure his ex (like many others on this forum) is an absolute nightmare to deal with and ruined his life. However--the court ruled he was to pay this amount and he knows the court ruled he pay that amount. Pulling the wait until the lawyer pulls his head out of his ass game accomplishes nothing and may further hurt him in court if his ex is able to continually win.

Like it or not, cs is the right of the child in the courts eyes and pulling stunts helps no one.

Comment

Originally posted by Janus View Post
                yes but the guy is a jerk when he knows the proper amount to pay but to do a little glitch he doesn't want to pay it. Not saying he isn't a good parent but as a human he is being a jerk.

If it was a woman not wanting to change CS to a lower amount due to an error in the paperwork I am sure you would have a different response.

Comment

I agree, intent was for a certain amount of CS and the guy is going to have to pay it. His attempt to exploit a technical error will not work at all.

My issue was with Rockscan's statement:

Originally posted by Rockscan in a show of sanctimonious bullshit
                  Does your child deserve to miss out on the increased amount
                  Which, to reiterate, is total bullshit. It really annoys me when people pretend that child support directly helps children in a bid to make NCP feel like they have a moral obligation to pay CS.

CS is a legal obligation. CS may or may not be a moral obligation depending on the facts on the ground. In most contested custody cases, CS is sure as shit not a moral obligation.

As for the attempted ad hominem

Originally posted by Standing reacting instead of reading
                  If it was a woman not wanting to change CS to a lower amount due to an error in the paperwork I am sure you would have a different response.
                  I don't think I responded to the OP at all. Nice try at playing the sexist card though. Better luck next time!

Comment

Child support is public order which means it should always be correct by any means necessary. Agree to pay the proper amount now.

However, can you explain why you don't have shared custody (or why you lost it?). Maybe we can help with that...

And yes, child support is privatized welfare and is as much as the state thinks it can get away with where the majority of men won't just flee the country...

Comment

Well the question is valid. Is being petty on a court ordered increase worth it?

The poster was using a ridiculous argument to avoid cs and I was using a ridiculous argument back.

There are plenty of women out there who use cs for new hair, new nails, new shoes, bingo and vacations. But turning around and saying youre not going to pay because she gets too much money doesnt help the dads who pay. It just adds one more notch to the deadbeat column that makes all dads look bad.

Ill also note that there are plenty of dads on here who have been successful against an ex using legal aid and/or the welfare system.

Comment

Originally posted by Links17 View Post
                        Child support is public order which means it should always be correct by any means necessary. Agree to pay the proper amount now.

However, can you explain why you don't have shared custody (or why you lost it?). Maybe we can help with that...

And yes, child support is privatized welfare and is as much as the state thinks it can get away with where the majority of men won't just flee the country...
                        With response as to why I lost custody, the answer is simple - my ex wants to hurt me, and uses the children to do so. I had custody of my children every weekend for the last 3 years. This was just an agreement made between us, nothing formal through the courts. Earlier this year I got engaged, and my ex flipped out and served me with custody papers. In the original papers I was to have custody every weekend from Friday at 6:00 pm to Sunday at 6:00 pm. Then one weekend she was mad at me over something ridiculous. So on Monday she went to her lawyer and amended the documents, saying that now I am only worthy of having the kids every second weekend. I am totally devastated by this, but simply cannot afford to keep up the fight. I've maxed out all the credit cards on this, and just have no savings. So I lost.

Comment

Originally posted by StandUpDad View Post
                          So on Monday she went to her lawyer and amended the documents, saying that now I am only worthy of having the kids every second weekend.
                          Who gave her the right to make that decision?

simply cannot afford to keep up the fight. I've maxed out all the credit cards on this, and just have no savings. So I lost.
                          Ah, you gave her the right.

I honestly don't get why fathers are so willing to capitulate. Tradition? An inability by males to engage in long-term thinking? Poor support networks leading to improper advice?

Comment

Janus - it's simply the difference between someone having unlimited legal support with legal aid, and someone who is already struggling to pay their bills, and then having to pay for a lawyer. People are so quick to lay blame, and be judgmental. It cost me over $6000.00 in legal fees to lose. Lawyer advised to save up some more money and try again in 2 years. Great advice....

Comment

Threads like this only make me shake my head even more. Most of you already know my situation, but I will repeat the short version of it for StandUpDad. My 1st court date will be next week, for a motion I filed to terminate CS, for my son who will be turning 20 this July but still five credits short of his school diploma. He's been enrolled at a specialized learning institution for students all of all kinds to obtain high school credits, by being given learning material to complete at their own comfort level. Those of you curious, this is the school:

PAS North

Evidently, he's been enrolled in this institution even before he turned 18, which tends to suggest he has difficulty functioning in a normal high school. His transcripts indicate a GPA of 50 to 60%.

Mom (ex-psycho bitch), of course disagrees with my request from the courts. She too, has been on ODSP since we've been separated (around 2003). I've been paying my CS religiously too, by direct depositing the funds to her account every month (adjusting the amount every July to reflect the table for my income the year previous), up until last year when I began to question whether or not I should continue paying. Since I've been alienated from my son since 2007, I don't know what his career plans are, other than to "go to college". But the marks showing on his transcripts clearly don't indicate that of someone who cares too much about his academic achievement.

I too, see this pattern of women getting this easy free ride by having child(ren) from men who work, while collecting money off the government (either by welfare or disability). CS and welfare. Why bother working? If a woman can have a baby from two or more men of modest to high income, their life is set. I almost believe the system not only empowers it, but encourages it.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X