No announcement yet.

what is a summer camp considered to be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is a summer camp considered to be?

Is a summer camp a special expense considered childcare (can be used as a childcare claim on taxes), an extraordinary expense, or neither and possible agreed to via a 50/50 split of cost (assuming both parent are working/school)?

Would the child be in daycare anyway? If yes then its considered daycare. Some camps cost less than daycare.

Its normally split as section 7.

You need to ask yourself if its worth the fight costs. If you were paying $200 for daycare that week and the camp is $200 then its realistic to consider it as section 7. You calculate it the same with the net cost used.

Comment

Only need childcare during summer as otherwise in school. It would be in replacement of daycare, and trying to fill other summer weeks with grandparents, parent vacation, etc.

Comment

We are to be week-on-week-off. I’m thinking to put in SA that summer camp costs are to be borne 100% by the parent who would be responsible for their care that week. Has anyone else done that?
        In my situation S7 costs will be very heavily paid by me and based on experience she will prefer to have kids in camp even though she is working only 2-3 days per week.

Comment

You should look at it this way:

Would the children be in daycare those days? If yes then agree to it, if no then consider the “extraordinary” aspect. What is the cost of ccamp in light of child support. If its $200 and she receives more than $600 per month, I would question it being s7.

There are plenty of summer camps that are cheap. If shes enrolling them in $1500 a week camp then you can say no. But remember what it does to your kids. If shes unreasonable then she will tell them about the camp ahead of time and tell them you said no.

Comment

Of course on a case-by-case basis I will review and likely end up paying the majority (I loved summer camp and have been clear to the kids that it’s an experience they will be afforded and I expect they will enjoy. They love “The Parent Trap” movie - imagine that) I feel it doesn’t need to be said that I won’t deprive my kids, you make a good point about how she can skew kids’ perception to create blame. It’s a common tactic by her and was one of my main straws that broke this camel’s back.

I’m just trying to get something in SA that can clearly protect me from unreasonable expenses without a battle. Another thought I’ve had has been that 1 week of summer camp per child can be S7 and any additional should be considered 100% at custodial parent’s expense. Or even easier can just say all daycare and summer camps must be mutually agreed before registration and all costs are to be shared 50/50 (since I’m looking at 1700 per month offset CS this seems fair to me). Music lessons and sports will still be S7 and paid proportionately.

Comment

Theres no point in breaking it down like that because she can come back and call out the s7 guidelines. Save yourself the trouble and just have the clause that all decisions will be discussed between the parties first and agreed to in writing before hand.

My partner thought he had an iron clad agreement but his ex played her games and used it against him. It became a case of the kids wanting something, her promising it to them, coming to him for his share and then blaming him when the answer was no. His income was 1/3 hers and he could not afford it. Then she couldnt afford it because she agreed to pay the other kids university expenses.

My fave saying is the road to hell is paved with good intentions and its true.

Comment

Is it standard in 50/50 custody with offset CS that daycare expenses are 50/50 or are they split as an S7?
                I’m leery of S7 since I need to impute income to STBX to make up for under the table earnings. I’m ok with S7 with a fair income split but if it’s an NOA income split I’ll be paying through the nose.
                So far we look like we’re progressing toward a functional co-parenting relationship and I don’t want to risk that (from my perspective as well as hers).

Comment

If you have her income imputed already, it should cover all purposes (offset CS and s7 calculations).

As for summer camps, perhaps you could put a cap on amounts?

"Summer camps will be s7 for any week in which both parents have to work and are unable to care for the child. Should a summer camp fee exceed $X and the parents not both agree on enrollment in advance, any amount exceeding $X will be covered entirely by the parent whose access week it is."

That way, you only have to pay for summer camps that are needed because you are both working, and if one parent chooses a super-expensive summer camp, the other parent isn't on the hook for any part of the fee that exceeds a reasonable amount. You could choose X to be an average summer camp fee amount, or the max you'd be willing to pay, etc.

Comment

Oh wait your ex runs an in home day care correct? Camp would be section 7 then not required for day care so you can use your discretion on saying yes or no which she needs to get prior to considering it section 7.

I would be pre-emptive and look at camps your kids may be interested in that fall on your weeks and look at enrolling them then tell the ex sorry you’ve maxed out your camp budget for the summer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                    Working...
                    X