This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canada and the Long Gun registry

What with recent events, I am curious to know how every one feels about the now defunct Long Gun Registry.
    Yes, It was/am in favour of it.
    0%
    No. I was/am against it.
    0%
    Undecided. I do not know.
    0%
    It was a good idea conceptually, but poorly executed.
    0%

CNN interesting right now. Piers Morgan.

Comment

Personally, I can say as a firearm owner, I didn't really care either way - except the fact that there was a recurring 'fee' to register them.

That part upset me... lol.

Comment

truthfully, i voted 'for' it in my own poll....

Comment

Canada's long-gun laws explained - Canada - CBC News

Comment

I am personally struggling with how the gun-lobby or NRA or whatever in the states right now can look themselves in the mirror and say that they truly have the best answer right now.

But I suppose I am just niave.

Comment

If I lived in the US (which I don't ) I think I'd have to question shopping at Wallmart. I recently learned they actually sell rifles at Wallmart in the US. I know Canadian Tire used to sell rifles when I was young.

What does anyone need one of these guns for? American's should forget about gun legislation and simply boycott stores that sell those rifles.

Comment

I have no problem with a basic rifle, and you should be able to hunt, target shoot, and if necessary defend your home with a basic bolt action rifle with a small magazine.

There is no reason why a gun shouldn't be registered and licensed. We do it with our cars, and no one takes your car away unless you default on the payments, it is unsafe, or you recklessly kill someone.

The problem with unregistered firearms is that people can resell them to anyone out of the trunk of their car without any idea if the person is a criminal, or has emotional problems, or mental issues. And people do sell them like this.

Years ago when I was a teen, my father, who was a violent alcoholic, bought a shotgun at a flea market. One night when when I wasn't home but 8 year old (at the time) nephew was staying, my father was drunk, pulled out the shotgun and started threatening my mother. My nephew intervened, ran between them and pushed my drunken father to the floor. Noone was hurt, but you can just imagine the possibilites.

Gun licensing and registration don't solve every problem, they just solve some problems, like the problem with my father. To own a gun you should be checked out and licensed. If you are a violent jackass, you don't get one. If you later show yourself to be a violent jackass you lose it. If you get a gun and sell it later, you need to have it registered so that you can show that you didn't sell it to a violent jackass.

Meanwhile there is no legitimate reason to own an assault rifle any more than there is a legitimate reason to own a rocket-propelled grenade or a cruise missle.

I served in the militia in my teens, I worked as an armed guard while in college when I was in my 20s, I am not against guns. I know how fun they can be, I also know how awful they can be. They are a necessity in rural areas, but there is no need to own a machine gun to protect yourself from bears and wolverines.

Comment

Originally posted by Mess View Post
                  I served in the militia in my teens, I worked as an armed guard while in college when I was 20, I am not against guns. I know how fun they can be, I also know how awful they can be. They are a necessity in rural areas, but there is no need to own a machine gun to protect yourself from bears and wolverines.
                  Red Dawn - Clip 06 - WOLVERINES! - YouTube

The only reason semi-automatic weapons are even produced and sold is the massive social anxiety that some unknown force (or the government) is going to take over everything and the only thing separating our freedom from slavery is the gun. (The movie Red Dawn often cited as the best example of this collective social anxiety about impending invasion.)

Zardoz the Gun is good, Go forth! - YouTube

Zardoz speaks to those people... I guess. (Yes, Zardoz, the floating head actually vomits guns onto his chosen people. Yes, that is Sean Connery.)

If you want to hunt, hunt with a bow and arrow. Also, you will actually get a tag if you are a bow hunter in the province of Ontario.

Good Luck!
                  Tayken
                  Last edited by Tayken; 12-22-2012, 12:50 PM.

Comment

I prefer the sound of someone gurgling for air as I choke them out. The way their body struggles underneath me and the helplessness they feel when they can't even move their legs because I'm wrapped around them so that if they move their knees will pop.

What I don't like is the smell when then shit their pants as they go unconcious. But we all have to trade off our pleasures.

Have you ever been there Slughead? I'm told if you just surrender to it it's kind of transcendant.

Comment

Personally I prefer the sound of the judges gavel......

Comment

Originally posted by Mess View Post
                        I have no problem with a basic rifle, and you should be able to hunt, target shoot, and if necessary defend your home with a basic bolt action rifle with a small magazine.

There is no reason why a gun shouldn't be registered and licensed. We do it with our cars, and no one takes your car away unless you default on the payments, it is unsafe, or you recklessly kill someone.

The problem with unregistered firearms is that people can resell them to anyone out of the trunk of their car without any idea if the person is a criminal, or has emotional problems, or mental issues. And people do sell them like this.

Years ago when I was a teen, my father, who was a violent alcoholic, bought a shotgun at a flea market. One night when when I wasn't home but 8 year old (at the time) nephew was staying, my father was drunk, pulled out the shotgun and started threatening my mother. My nephew intervened, ran between them and pushed my drunken father to the floor. Noone was hurt, but you can just imagine the possibilites.

Gun licensing and registration don't solve every problem, they just solve some problems, like the problem with my father. To own a gun you should be checked out and licensed. If you are a violent jackass, you don't get one. If you later show yourself to be a violent jackass you lose it. If you get a gun and sell it later, you need to have it registered so that you can show that you didn't sell it to a violent jackass.

Meanwhile there is no legitimate reason to own an assault rifle any more than there is a legitimate reason to own a rocket-propelled grenade or a cruise missle.

I served in the militia in my teens, I worked as an armed guard while in college when I was in my 20s, I am not against guns. I know how fun they can be, I also know how awful they can be. They are a necessity in rural areas, but there is no need to own a machine gun to protect yourself from bears and wolverines.
                        I think Mess' post would transcend anyone's argument opposing the registry.

Comment

[QUOTE=Mess;
                          Gun licensing and registration don't solve every problem, they just solve some problems, like the problem with my father. To own a gun you should be checked out and licensed. If you are a violent jackass, you don't get one..[/QUOTE]
                          Geesh I wish that was totally true. When I was married my ex wanted to get his FAC licence. He had assaults etc in his record. One of the questions on application was something about was there any relationship problems in the house or something like that. He put no (lie) and told me that if I was interviewed at all and said anything different he would make sure I regretted it. It took a long time for him to get it as he was red-flagged for violence but in the end, he got it.

Did I ever have one of his guns pointed at me, you bet I did. Did the police do anything about it, nope. It was my word against his and the police in the town I lived in were not that great. I went to them to report a domestic violence incident and I showed them the bruises on my neck where he strangled me. They asked if there were witness, i said no, they asked if he would admit it, i said probably not. They refused to do anything as there were too many women who would want the charges pressed but when it came to court they changed their mind. This was back in 1987ish.

I can understand having guns on farms to protect livestock or to kill groundhogs etc. When you live in a city or town, why does one need a gun? If you like to target practice then maybe the shooting ranges should have a rental program where for a fee you get the gun, ammo and time on the range.

Comment

As a gun owner and hunter myself I see nothing wrong with possessing a firearm. My 4 sons hunt as does my ex husband. I've had my license since 1993. My children grew up with all kinds of guns in the house as my ex husband taught the Hunter Safety Course for 15 years. We've put police officers through the course, natives, and young hunters also.

One of the main reasons hunters are so against the Long Gun Registry is more due to the fact that it's illegal guns entering Canada "handguns" "assault guns" "assaul rifles" and the likes.

My ex was angry at me when I left him and he called the police and the gun registry and told them I threatened to kill him. An officer came over to my house and I had to show him my license, registration, PAL, outdoor card and he did take my shotgun until it was proven that I was not unstable, on drugs, had mental issues ect. The ministry sent me a medical form I had to take to my physician proving I was not disturbed or on any kinds of illegal drugs. He was livid, saying it was a waste of his time, the police and the ministries time.

I did get an apology from the Police and the Ministry but they had a job to do and they did it well. My ex is the one who cried wolf for no reason and they wrote in their report what he did. Careful what you wish for.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorac View Post
                              As a gun owner and hunter myself I see nothing wrong with possessing a firearm. My 4 sons hunt as does my ex husband. I've had my license since 1993. My children grew up with all kinds of guns in the house as my ex husband taught the Hunter Safety Course for 15 years. We've put police officers through the course, natives, and young hunters also.

One of the main reasons hunters are so against the Long Gun Registry is more due to the fact that it's illegal guns entering Canada "handguns" "assault guns" "assaul rifles" and the likes.

My ex was angry at me when I left him and he called the police and the gun registry and told them I threatened to kill him. An officer came over to my house and I had to show him my license, registration, PAL, outdoor card and he did take my shotgun until it was proven that I was not unstable, on drugs, had mental issues ect. The ministry sent me a medical form I had to take to my physician proving I was not disturbed or on any kinds of illegal drugs. He was livid, saying it was a waste of his time, the police and the ministries time.

I did get an apology from the Police and the Ministry but they had a job to do and they did it well. My ex is the one who cried wolf for no reason and they wrote in their report what he did. Careful what you wish for.
                              who should be careful what they wish for??

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X