"I haven't read all the way throught the thread, but here's what I think"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "I haven't read all the way throught the thread, but here's what I think"

Can we all agree that this is simply an asanine thing to say and/or do?

Honestly, if you haven't read through the entire thread, it means you don't have all of the facts at hand. Reading a few posts and attempting to Sherlock Holmes the situation does a great disservice to:

1) The original poster, who is trying to get everyone's informed opinion on the matter.

2) All of the other posters who DO actually gave enough of a damn, read through everything that had been discussed up until the point that they added their own feedback.

If the thread is insanely long, and your time is too precious to read it, by all means, don't feel obligated, but please have the courtesy to abstain from posting advice or comments that display a breathtaking ignorance on the full history behind the thread.

You have no idea just how MUCH I agree with this.

Comment

Pretty sure that I do.

Comment

I don't agree, sometimes you want to point a specific point and its better to share teh tidbit than not

Comment

Isn't it considered to be "trolling" if one doesn't read full thread but tags on to end and then goes on to another thread and does the same thing?

Comment

Links17, a lot of specific points have a history behind them. I've been seeing a lot of advice issued on a point that would normally be excellent, but is completely useless given the context.

Comment

Originally posted by Links17 View Post
              I don't agree, sometimes you want to point a specific point and its better to share teh tidbit than not
              But what if that specific point is interrealted to an array of other points earlier in the thread that would make that tidbit make no sense?

Part of the reason my threads are so long is because I spend half the time re-explaining the story/situation.

Comment

Meh, if the person replying reads the OP's posts and replies to those, skipping the other poster's posts, I don't think it matters so much. Especially if they are replying to one or two specific remarks.

Comment

So what your saing is if you want to make point make sure your point is a point that hasn't been pointed before? I think my point may have been pointed to previously in someone else's point. I'm so confused by this pointed discussion.

Please pass the popcorn....

Comment

Points about points detailing previous points aside, I'm more focused on the lunacy of original posters having to remind people of facts about a situation that they have already provided 17 million times.

Waltzing into a giant thread and issuing advice that is completely ignorant of core facts should not be forgiven just by tacking a "I haven't actually read most of what I'm commenting on" statement at the end.

Comment

Originally posted by Once.is.enough View Post
                      So what your saing is if you want to make point make sure your point is a point that hasn't been pointed before? I think my point may have been pointed to previously in someone else's point. I'm so confused by this pointed discussion.

Please pass the popcorn....
                      I can't believe it, but for once I have to agree with Once.is.enough.

Often in forums as in live conversations, the topic will get side-tracked. Happens all the time, especially on the Internet where so many different people can participate. It's easy enough in person to be misunderstood ....

Bottom line: if certain opinions seem unfair, off-topic or don't apply to your particular reality - simply ignore them.

Comment

I don't think so. Many threads quickly balloon and I don't have the time to read everything. When threads get like that, I generally skim over the posts to get the jist of it, and maybe make a response.

There are threads here that have simply grown out of control. There are too many issues within the single thread to really make it useful. I understand how things are intertwined, but to have 100 page thread is ultimately useless to anyone outside of the major contributors. It would make more sense, and be substantially more useful, if a new thread was made for the various points in question. If background is needed, you can always post the link to the thread with that information.

There are threads here that I don't bother contributing to as they are too big. And if I wanted to contribute, there is likely information I would miss so I rarely bother. I glance them over as part of my job as a mod to make sure things stay civil. But I don't have hours in a day to read those threads carefully, nor the time respond to 15 different posts within the period of time I have to be on this board.

More threads with limited scope is better than one all inclusive thread. You will get more replies from more people as people will actually take the time to read it vs seeing the size and saying "ain't nobody got time for that!"
                        Last edited by HammerDad; 08-27-2014, 12:55 PM.

Comment

So true, HammerDad, so true. Your approach of not bothering with the long threads makes a lot of sense.

I think it just makes sense for someone to follow your lead and simply not comment on a thread that they consider too voluminous. For those that do want to comment, they should at least be familiar with some of the essential info that was included in the original post driving the thread.

Comment

I also agree with Hammerdad .. just don't bother if it's devastatingly long and you don't have all of the facts nor the time in the day to acquire them.

Again, a huge catalyst to lengthy threads are the needs to re-explain the entire situation to keep a new poster (non followers) up to date. This is what makes them lengthy most of the time .. repetition. I wouldn't write a review or comment on a book if I haven't read it. to me that wouldn't seem logical. That's just me though.
                            Last edited by LovingFather32; 08-27-2014, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LovingFather32 View Post
                              I also agree with Hammerdad ..

Again, a huge catalyst to lengthy threads are the needs to re-explain the entire situation to keep a new poster (non followers) up to date. This is what makes them lengthy most of the time .. repetition. I wouldn't write a review or comment on a book if I haven't read it. to me that wouldn't seem logical. That's just me though.
                              Easiest solution to that is to copy the link to the post with information. It saves you time from repeating yourself and it keeps your story straight as slight wording changes between the posts may cause more questions that necessary.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X