X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new to forum - seeking support

Hi,

I have been married for almost 25 years. My husband was having an affair for the pat 3 years. I discovered this relationship about 2 years ago, and since then have made myself emotionally vulnerable in making it clear to him I wanted to rebuild our relationship. I made significant efforts to change things about myself that we had agreed had contributed to the breakdown of our relationship; however, while he did return home a number of times during these 2 years, most recently for 9 months, he again contacted this other woman about 5 months ago, moved out and has now told me he is committed to building a relationship with her.

I struggle with loneliness, huge sadness and anxiety as well as a pretty beat up sene of myself. Any words of wisdom are very welcome!

Sorry to hear about your experience. However, the laws are basically no-fault divorce.

So, you won't be able to get anything simply because he's the one that cheated.

Everything depends on if there's children involved, and how gets custody. There is a spousal support advisory guideline, that you can look up. It explains when spousal support is given, and for how long.

Comment

Why do you assume it's about getting something??

SJP, I hope you find the support you're looking for, it's a difficult situation to be in for sure.

Comment

My situation is the same,, left husband 10 years ago,,,he cleaned out the house down to the last lightbulb, ran up credit cards,,,emptied bank accounts,,,so"
        cancel all credit cards,,,change locks on doors,,,close all acccounts,,,your bank cna help you,,,,
        but there is a light at the end of the rainbow, there is your sole mate waiting to be found,,,now the trick is to find him...good luck

Comment

Welcome to the forum.

No doubt Divorce can be difficult. Some communities offer individual counselling. Your physician may have information on these services if available.

Comment

Can anyone advise me on child support payments and how they may related to support for a 20 year old child just start university and living in residence in another city? I am hoping to be able to keep our family home until my youngest son is finished highschool (2-3 years) in order to provide some stability for all my children in this time of upheaval and immense change. My ex-partner doesn't think he should have to pay any support for our daughter while she is attending university, outside of the contributions we have made to her RESP, because she is living away from home much of the year. It will be difficult for me financially to maintain the family home myself without this support, but I recognize his concern that she is not actually living here most of the time; however, this is her home and I would like her to be able to come home for holidays and summers for a little while longer anyway, while she adjusts to all these other changes in her life. Please let me know your experience or just what you think. Thanks.

Comment

The law provides that c/s must be paid to the recipient so long as the child(ren) are residing with the recipient and in post secondary education (for at least their bachelors, possibly longer).

Because your daughter still reflects her permanent residence as your address, you are entitled to receive C/S from your ex to maintain the child(ren)s permanent residence.

Now I am not sure if your question solely relates to receiving c/s while your child is in college/univeristy, or if there is any stipulation that he is required to pay to maintain both c/s and the costs associated with living on/near campus.

Comment

Thank you for that information.

The only other funds that will be available to our daugher are RESP funds previously contributed by both of us, her own earnings and scholarships. For the time being, our home address will be her permanent address, and there will always be a place here for her to come home to. Should he still be paying child support for her?

Comment

Originally posted by sjp View Post
                  For the time being, our home address will be her permanent address, and there will always be a place here for her to come home to. Should he still be paying child support for her?
                  Short answer is yes he should be paying you support for the child.

However, it is not uncommon that the support be diverted directly to the child instead of the custodial parent, as it is payment is for the benefit of the child and should be used by the child to provide for themselves (I would personally prefer this, as it is the childs money at the end of the day IMO). But that is only if both parties can agree, otherwise support continues unchanged.

Comment

I have gone through an affair, and recommend seeking personal counselling, if only to get the anger, the betrayal of trust, the sadness, the shock and all of the other conflicting emotions out of your head to be discussed...if you are in the NCR, I can recommend a fantastic counsellor that helped me through!

Comment

A site that I found helpful that was posted here is survivinginfidelity.com, lots of information on how to deal with the breakdown of a marriage due to adultery and how to work on yourself. Best of luck to you and your healing.

Comment

, and since then have made myself emotionally vulnerable in making it clear to him I wanted to rebuild our relationship. I made significant efforts to change things about myself that we had agreed had contributed to the breakdown of our relationship;
                        Since you are asking for advice and you never mentioned money in your opining post, I encourage you to teach your daughters what mistakes you made so that they may not repeat them.

Comment

Originally posted by AnarX View Post
                          Since you are asking for advice and you never mentioned money in your opining post, I encourage you to teach your daughters what mistakes you made so that they may not repeat them.
                          I am quite sure what you meant to say was that you hoped she taught all of her children to be good people, have good relationships and not let people treat them badly or take advantage of them and vice versa.

I am sure you didn't mean it to sound as rude and sexist as it does.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                          Working...
                          X