One on one time with children in parenting plan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One on one time with children in parenting plan

Have any of you included a clause in your parental agreement that states that you could spend 1 on 1 time with each of your kids during your ex's custodial time.
    Example:
    - Several kids are on a 50/50 schedule
    - dad will pick up each children individually 3 times a year during mom's time for 4 hours to do a special activity with the child that require individual attention.
    - mom will pick up each children individually 3 times a year during dad's time for 4 hours to do a special activity with the child that require individual attention (special shopping spree, teach him how to swim or bicycle or whatever, go do an age appropriate activity that the other kids are too old or too young to do).

What do you think of the idea? How would you state it ? Would you accept it if it was one sided (ex: a privilege for dad but not for mom?)

Thanks

This is way too regimental in my opinion. It reeks of dictating to the other parent what they have to do and when they have to do it. This is not going to fly...

If someone wants little or nothing to do with their children there is nothing you can do about it. Sad. But that is your reality. You can't force them to want to be with their children. You have no right to dictate what the other parent does with the child while in their care. It is unreasonable and totally unrealistic to force your views on the other parent.

You'd be better to focus your energy on how the two parents can foster a better parenting relationship with each other.... recognize and respect the other parent's concerns... effective communication... understand that you are divorced for a reason and the other parent likely totally disagrees with anything you are going to propose.... You can't control this!

Comment

Thank you. I am not sure I understand your response 100%.
      (Controling) dad is the one who is asking for this. He wants this privilege only to apply to himself, not to me (mom). I feel he wants to infringe on "my" time with the kids and it is a way for him to keep controlling what I do on "my" weekends with them.
      Should I just reject the proposition (my initial reaction) or should I ask for an equal "one on one privilege" for me ?
      + Does it work in practice?
      Having multiple kids it would mean more than 12 one on one visits at least between the two of us...

Comment

You went to court or agreed on a parenting schedule. I'd stick to it. It goes without saying that parents should be reasonable with each other. Ideally, you should be able to send each other an email and request a special time (grandmother's bday which falls on the other parent's time) from each other. This is something you both would know in advance.

I don't understand "several kids" are on a 50/50 schedule statement.

What does this refer to: - mom will pick up each children individually 3 times a year during dad's time for 4 hours to do a special activity with the child that require individual attention (special shopping spree, teach him how to swim or bicycle or whatever, go do an age appropriate activity that the other kids are too old or too young to do)?

I'd keep it simple and follow the agreement.

These are kind of petty matters don't you think? (Shopping sprees, teaching a kid how to ride a bike, etc.) - all activities that can be done one one's own parenting time. After-all, you have 50-50 correct?

Comment

Ok, again, I am not the one asking for this. I agree it is unnecessarily complicating things but this is the proposal from my ex that I have to respond to.
          We are still in mediation with no agreement yet (a year post breakup) and dad is very hung up on this 1:1 thing.
          He wants the opportunity to have time with each kid individually on top of having them together 50% of the time.
          So he wants all the kids on "his" weekends as usual and in addition he wants the opportunity to pick up 1 kid at the time on "my" weekends so he can do individual activities with that one kid. He says otherwise it is impossible for him to teach the kids how to bicycle or swim for example.
          I suspect it is more a way for him to keep a control on "my" weekends (it was an abusive relationship) but maybe he really wants to make sure he can get quality time with each kids individually... I don't know...
          He says it is in the best interest of the children to get this quality time with him.

Comment

Tell him no way on your weekend I would definitely see it as controlling,
            Have it set up one day of the week say Tuesday from 4-7 or what ever time time /day works for both and alternate each week or every 3rd Tuesday of the month that way you both get one on one time with the kids

Comment

One on one time is never a bad thing but I don't think it needs to be in an agreement. If Dad requested to take one child for a few hours I don't see why you would deny it, especially if it was only once in a while. We had my step son this weekend as he has requested to spend an extra weekend a month with us as he wanted more time with us. We enjoyed our one on one time with him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My schedule with the kids fits in one-on-one time with each kid (it's helpful to have only the two - it would be much harder with three) on a regular basis. We each get a kid all to ourselves for a day by exchanging one kid in the morning and the other kid in the afternoon. It's great to spend that one on one time with each kid, doing age appropriate things, or doing things that one kid loves and one kid hates, etc. I love it.

It's hard to get that otherwise, especially with young children. An intact family could easily have one kid stay home with mom while another kid went on an errand with dad, or have one parent take one kid to an activity while the other kid stayed home with the other parent. It's much harder as a single parent to find that one-on-one time, as you must are always bring all the kids everywhere you go.

I wouldn't mess around with the 50-50 though. Keep the time fair as best you can. If he gets one kid on your time, reverse it the next time so that you get one kid on his time. Don't make it always happen that he gets one of the kids on your time. If you have a difficult and controlling ex, you have to keep things very fair and regimented.

Comment

Perhaps, like the rest of the world, he can simply hire a sitter during his time, so he focus on one kid in particular. No reason to encroach onto your time.
                  Start a discussion, not a fire. Post with kindness.

Comment

Originally posted by mcdreamy View Post
                    Perhaps, like the rest of the world, he can simply hire a sitter during his time, so he focus on one kid in particular. No reason to encroach onto your time.

The best solution of all I think!

Comment

I have 4 kids between 5-17yrs old. We have a 50/50 agreement. I don't see it as one parent "encrouching" on the other's parenting time. It really isn't about the parent but what is in the best interest of the child. It is quality not quantity when parenting part time. It is a wonderful opportunity for each parent to have some special time alone with a child. The parent isn't asking for a weekend but simply 4 hours. My children LOVE it when they have alone time with each parent. Everyone benefits. My children come back to me happy with good memories they can tuck away for a day that isn't so happy in their topsy turvy world. I wouldn't put it in an agreement but reach out to the other parent and simply say this can be worked out. See if the favour is reciprocated. If not, then you know the other parent wasn't sincere.

Comment

if the child's activities, i.e. swim lessons always fall on your parenting times then I don't see his request to take children to swim alternate times unreasonable. perhaps you could request additional time on his time to keep the time sharing on an even scale.

If he simply wants time on your time to do things that he could be doing on his own time, then he's just trying to bully and control you.

Comment

Originally posted by backinthesaddle View Post
                          . It is quality not quantity when parenting part time. .
                          quality in any relationship, is largely dependent on having a sufficient quantity of time to properly develop it.

Comment

An intact family could easily have one kid stay home with mom while another kid went on an errand with dad, or have one parent take one kid to an activity while the other kid stayed home with the other parent. It's much harder as a single parent to find that one-on-one time, as you must are always bring all the kids everywhere you go.
                            The same can be done in a separation. If he wants to spend 1:1 time with a child, he could simply ask if you can take the other 2 children during his parenting time or get a babysitter, or ask if he could take 1 on your time if it couldnt happen any other way, say he want to go to a special event with one child that the other couldnt care less about and it was on your time. A resonanalbe co parent would agree. I wouldnt put it in the agreement though, it seems overly cumbersome and potentially leading to conflict and more complicated schedules that needed.

Comment

I would not want this clause in my agreement. If it was, I would make it very specific:

"First Wednesday in March, June, and September that kids are with Dad, Mom gets 4 hours from 4pm-8pm, Mom to pick up child of choice from Dad's house. First Wednesday in March, June, and September that kids are with Mom, Dad gets 4 hours from 4pm-8pm, Dad to pick up child of choice from Mom's house."

The above was for week about. If you have a 5522 you would change one of the Wednesdays to a Tuesday to have the same effect.

3 days are year are not a big deal. I don't think it is an infringement. It just makes things complicated when they don't have to be. So, better if it is not in the deal, but ok if it is.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X