Case law regarding transportation for access

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Case law regarding transportation for access

Has anyone come across any specific canlii cases that support the NCP and CP having to share transportation costs/driving for access because the CP moved a significant distance away? Or even better where the CP moved and was required to do the transportation? I'll take either or, in just starting to search for any myself but I know sometimes others have already looked and bookmarked some for their own use.

Thanks in advance!

CanLII - 2008 CanLII 70548 (ON SC) - I hope the link works. It's Petit v. Petit, and one I used in my own 3 day trial in January of this year.

Comment

Can I reasonably cite paragraph 206 even though it appears to be a case of joint custody when our situation is a sole custody/acess parent situation?

The CP lawyer has informed the NCP via a letter that normally it is the access parent who is responsible for any transportation. NCP is arguing to maintain shared transportation.
      Last edited by Wyntermcd; 04-30-2014, 08:21 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

I've not found case law, but I've always heard and read that it's the moving parent that's responsible for transportation. I'd be interested to see the case law people have.

Comment

I may have used the wrong terminology there, but I've come across a number of cases where judges have ordered shared transportation, which is good enough for me, I'm tired of feeling bullied by the CP's lawyer

Comment

Ordering and enforcing are two different things. Would reduced CS to offset transportation time (off work maybe) and costs be more appropriate for your situation?

Comment

CP would never accept that however we may throw it in just so we can say we offered reasonable alternatives

Comment

There are quite a few cases (at least in Alberta Court of Queen's Bench - CanLii) dealing with transportation costs for access.

Here is one from court of appeal

https://www.canlii.org/en/ab/abqb/do...FjY2VzcwAAAAAB

When you go to CanLii, select a province, then type in "transportation costs for access".

Comment

Huh, I found it interesting that in the Ruek case the court looked at the fact that the mother had a new baby and that was considered as part of a reason that she shouldn't have to share in transportation. Yet if someone tried to use the argument of the responsibilities and financial burdens of a new baby to reduce existing support they would be lambasted.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                  Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                  Working...
                  X