This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I fought the OCL and WON!

Hello, I wanted to say that I fought a horrible OCL report against me and just won at trial. In fact the judge gave the report no weight. I would be happy to hear from anyone and offer encouragement. I was told it was an uphill battle to fight a report like this and this is false!! I can attest to this.

Flaws in methodology, bias, etc....

I would also love to file a class action lawsuit against the OCL for "malpractice"

Have to run, but happy to hear from anyone that were misrepresented by them.

Congratulation GM, well done!!

Comment

Originally posted by Greatmum View Post
      Hello, I wanted to say that I fought a horrible OCL report against me and just won at trial. In fact the judge gave the report no weight. I would be happy to hear from anyone and offer encouragement. I was told it was an uphill battle to fight a report like this and this is false!! I can attest to this.

I would also love to file a class action lawsuit against the OCL for "malpractice"

No offense but you got lucky. You are the 10% that win against OCL. Your partner can appeal, get it in front of a another Judge and easily get it implemented.

Comment

I strongly disagree. I have posted to offer others like me some support and optimism- not for negativity.

Comment

I know nothing about the OCL firsthand, but I do have experience with uphill battles and beating the 'odds' in a few instances! Congratulations, as it's always good to hear that these victories DO occur. Gives others hope. The OCL from what little I do know, is far from perfect and a focused, fact based opposition can indeed overturn their expert analysis/opinions.

Class Action Lawsuits are rather tricky, but also not out of the question. Chances are, you may have to simply take great satisfaction with your personal "win" but it is worth exploring your options, if you believe you have some.

Who oversees the OCL? Is it the LSUC? If it is, they 'concern' themselves (if you want to call it that) with *misconduct,* but NOT negligence. Seems there's a pretty wide berth they give to Solicitors when it comes to negligence.
          Last edited by hadenough; 09-22-2012, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Cudos to you!

Getting justice nowadays is a good thing.

Comment

Were you self-rep?

Congrats.

Comment

can you provide with case number? When you have your trial? Is decision posted?

Thx

Comment

No mention of the kids at all ,just about beating the OCL....makes me kinda wonder what they saw in the first place.

Comment

I haben't read anything in this thread, but the subject title reminds me of "I Fought the Law" is a song written by Sonny Curtis of The Crickets and became popularized by a cover by the Bobby Fuller Four, which went on to become a top-ten hit for the band in 1966 and was also recorded by The Clash in 1979. The Bobby Fuller Four version of this song was ranked No. 177 on the Rolling Stone list of the 500 Greatest Songs of All Time in 2004, and the same year was named one of the 500 "Songs that Shaped Rock" by the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Fought_the_Law

Comment

Good for you!

We had a horrible experience with OCL, actually it was more the social worker my husband's son had. We actually never received a copy of the report, there was only a conference to advise us who the OCL and social worker decided his son could live with. Our lawyer advised us OCL tends to follow the social workers recommendations, as well as the judge, if it does go to court.

I would really be interested in hearing more about your case if you wouldn't mind sending me a pm?

I think some of our issues were we were out of province and our lawyer did not properly advise us of everything. As well our lawyer admitted later that she had not had a vacation in over three years and was overworked, things I wish I had of thought to ask in the beginning.

Comment

well now he is threatening an appeal Does anyone know how common these are? Are they moreso just threats? Do they have to have a reason to appeal? I cannot afford any more money on an appeal, being as I have not been handed any costs yet.

Funny enough, his threats are, if I dont give him what he wants he will appeal..what he wanted were what I offered in the offer to settle, that he declined..I am so upset by this.

Comment

it may be posted later, I am awaiting the final order, but now I am getting threatening letters saying if I dont give him what he wants, he will appeal.

Comment

no, I had a great lawyer, but I believe the truth prevails.....

Comment

well now he is threatening an appeal Does anyone know how common these are? Are they moreso just threats? Do they have to have a reason to appeal? I cannot afford any more money on an appeal, being as I have not been handed any costs yet.

Funny enough, his threats are, if I dont give him what he wants he will appeal..what he wanted were what I offered in the offer to settle, that he declined..I am so upset by this.
                              How about you use search on the forum before ask question. Appeal discussed many times here and there is nothing new to add.

WD

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X