Copies of Police Reports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copies of Police Reports

My ex was arrested twice last year for assault and breach of her peace bond. A third time when police were called after she had assaulted my daughter, but no arrest was made; just CAS intervention.

I want to get my hands on a copy of the police reports. How can I get them

Originally posted by lorlaman View Post
    My ex was arrested twice last year for assault and breach of her peace bond. A third time when police were called after she had assaulted my daughter, but no arrest was made; just CAS intervention.

contact the police and see what they say

Comment

freedom of information act.

the reports you get will be censored unless the person in question consents to their name being released.

You can get unredacted reports through motion in family court if you can succesfully argue for them.

Comment

They will give you all info pertaining to your daughter or yourself if you have joint custody. They will black out everything that has info on your ex. You may try going to the court office and getting the reports from the criminal case, I think you can do that as court files are public. With the police you will just file a freedom of info act to get it. Done it plenty of times.

Comment

You will need the date(s) name(s) of people involved.Go to the Police station in the district the incident occured, give them the information above and request the case number. You then send your request including case number, names, dates and a $5 cheque to the freedom of information act office.

Comment

Originally posted by wretchedotis View Post
            freedom of information act.

the reports you get will be censored unless the person in question consents to their name being released.

You can get unredacted reports through motion in family court if you can succesfully argue for them.
            In my case, the police officer wanted me to obtain the information so I could understand what happened when my ex took my kids out of school when they were supposed to be on the bus to stay with me. He was surprised I had to make a request through the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.

Anyway, I applied using the procedure outlined Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. F.31
            What I received was basically blacked out (whited out would be more correct), and although I know my ex had lied to the police, I barely see any results of the investigation. What? I read the damn thing about 7 times and I'm still not sure why the can't disclose the information.

Although not as serious as lorlaman's, I believe I deserve to know what happened and I will probably appeal within the thirty day period, but first I need to seek out some advice.

Comment

Just read this post here from pokeman putting it all in perspective:

http://www.ottawadivorce.com/forum/f...om-info-10663/

Comment

Originally posted by baldclub View Post
                In my case, the police officer wanted me to obtain the information so I could understand what happened when my ex took my kids out of school when they were supposed to be on the bus to stay with me. He was surprised I had to make a request through the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.

Anyway, I applied using the procedure outlined Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. F.31
                What I received was basically blacked out (whited out would be more correct), and although I know my ex had lied to the police, I barely see any results of the investigation. What? I read the damn thing about 7 times and I'm still not sure why the can't disclose the information.

Although not as serious as lorlaman's, I believe I deserve to know what happened and I will probably appeal within the thirty day period, but first I need to seek out some advice.

Under the FOI you can also ask to have (whited out) copies of the Polic Officers not books. At least in Ontario.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by lorlaman View Post

You can get a solicitor to get them for you. You will get more information from the report they will give to a solicitor generally. If you make the request anything that may cause conflict they will take out. But, if a solicitor asks for it they generally get more information.

Good Luck!
                  Tayken

Comment

Exactly. The F.O.I. - I think it took 2 weeks, had to be prepaid (about $15) - ie: $3 per page. It's proof of the occurrence but the info I rec'd was pretty edited, I thought.

Comment

Originally posted by hadenough View Post
                      Exactly. The F.O.I. - I think it took 2 weeks, had to be prepaid (about $15) - ie: $3 per page. It's proof of the occurrence but the info I rec'd was pretty edited, I thought.
                      Have a solicitor request it. You will get way more information from the report. I have seen a parent's request and their solicitor's request. It included 3 additional paragraphs chalked full of incredible stuff that the parent didn't get.

The FIO processing the request will see that an officer of the court (lawyer) is receiving the information and will expose way more generally.

Good Luck!
                      Tayken

Comment

As well, come trial you can subpeona the officers involved. Get them on the stand and then have the Justice direct them to answer your questions if they try to smooth over the details.

This might not be a wise strategy if you don`t know what they will say on the stand, however.

Comment

My foi documents cost 5 dollars originally and i asked for the last year , it is very edited but i know the blacked out parts and if they ever come into play i will ask for the other parts .I also asked for the cas reports and the case worker couldnt understand why i would want them , i said i need them to put in my files and not to hurt her but to protect me and the kids, she couldnt understand and said well i havent had time to send the final letter yet(2 months now),i asked well can you please send it to me because we are going to be living apart and moving by end march ,she goes well i will try and do you think the new people will forward it to you if i dont, all i ever wanted from cas is to make a commitment on what they told me ,get it in writing, i have more of a problem with the case worker than what happened as i knew what to do anyways .

Comment

If you need the context of the police incident files in their entirety (un-edited) the only way to do so is to have them ordered via the court. You would need to provide reasoning as to why you believe them to be important.

Otherwise, any details that you are not directly involved in, are edited out due to privacy concerns.

.I also asked for the cas reports
                            If the file is open on YOU, you are able to request a copy of the file. There is a specific procedure that usually has to be followed. If you ask the worker, they should be able to tell you how to go about it.

If the file is open on your EX, you cannot obtain a copy without going through the same process as for an unedited police incident report. The EX can sign a document giving CAS more leeway in giving you info, however if it's suspected that the CAS files contain damaging information, what are the possibilities of that happening?

Comment

My ex and her live in boyfriend have had police involved in several incidents that I have heard of through the grapevine. The last incident involved her getting arrested for assaulting the boyfriend. I am not sure of what date the incident happened but it was in the last month and from what I heard she spent the day in jail but was not charged. I have reason to believe that my kids were with her when this happened and I want to find out for sure.

Because no charges were laid and I don't know the exact date, is there any hope for me to get this information without going through my lawyer?

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X