Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can a settlement conference be served via fax?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a settlement conference be served via fax?

I have a Settlement conference coming up on July 30. If I serve Via courier then it has to be mailed out July 22. I have had some issues at home and haven't had the time to work on the SC brief and getting an extra day would be great for me. I don't have money to serve via a personal server.

Is fax considered a valid way to serve the other party's lawyer?

And can it be faxed on 23rd ?

This will give me one extra much needed day!

Ok anyone? Please

Comment

not sure if you can or not.
      Best thing to do is pull an all-nighter and get it done.

Comment

Nope. My opposing lawyer served me proper. I served them in person (their offices). I don't think it can be done via fax

Comment

I don't think service by fax is allowed because you have no way of proving who picks up the documents from the fax machine. You have to serve documents on a person (whether it's the opposing party him/herself or some other person acting on their behalf), not a fax number.

Comment

Fax service must be less then 16 pages when it is allowed. If you are at settlement conference I would assume your document is much longer then 16 pages (although almost never enforced I wouldn't take the chance). This document should resemble almost the entirety of the case in one document including all the orders from the past. There will probably be a multitude of financial disclosures and exhibits to support your position.
            Serve in person.

Comment

Thanks for the response. I opted out using a process server which gave me extra time to work on the document. 75 bucks but atleast I had peace of mind that I was including everything that needed to be in the brief.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
              Working...
              X