Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ex's and Youtube channels

This is a bit of an odd situation.

My husband has currently brought forth a motion (for increased access to his son with ex wife) and it will most likely go to trial. Long story and not the point of this thread but if you need answers to specific detail questions I'm happy to provide).

Ex wife has history of harassing behavior to me (verbal abuse/"assault" at piano recital and calling the cops claiming I was tweeting that I wanted to kill her (untrue and unfounded)). High conflict does not even begin to describe the situation.

I am a blogger and also want to start a Youtube channel. I used to live my life in fear of what she could find/follow/harass/etc online. Now....I just want to live my life.

Can you think of any legal protections I should take (or could take) to avoid a situation with her? I don't know what the situation could be but want to protect myself if I can.

Any thoughts? Ideas?

The only foolproof way to protect yourself from anything online being used against you is to not put anything online that you wouldn't ever want the other person to see, or better yet - anything you wouldn't want your children to see.

Comment

I'm with Blink on this one. Your ex and his legal team will be analyzing every syllable of your online content, twisting your words, etc. Not a good idea!

Comment

You are going to trial.

Expect everything you post to be used against you. Unless you derive your primary income from this channel, posting is a poor choice. There is absolutely no way to keep anything you post out of court. It can only be used to hurt you.

You get to live your life when the trial is over.

Comment

Thank you everyone. I didn't mean to make it sound like I was dumb enough to post things online about their situation, OR while the trial was happening. Should have made that clear.

It is not my ex, but my husband's ex.

The thing is, it would have absolutely NOTHING to do with her, the trial, my step-son, etc. I just want to start a channel for fun where I make videos about the cool new things I try, etc. But I completely understand that it could be used in any way they wanted, and to give them that kind of fodder would be foolish.

After the trial though.....when an order is in place.....would there be any legal things I *should* do to protect myself? I actually don't know what she could do at all, so not even sure if this is a necessary question. We have a "live free from harassment" clause in the SA but not sure if I would need to do something in addition to this.

Comment

As long as you are not mentioning her or the court case etc on the channel I am not sure what you are worried about. As long as the stuff that you want to try is legal not sure how it could be used against you in any way.

Just make sure it isn't something that you would be embarrassed if your granny or another family elder saw.

Comment

Look at YouTube's terms of service. If you put material on there, anyone can watch it, comment, etc - you can't control it. YouTube is a technically a private commercial space, although people think of it as public. You can't keep your husband's ex from watching or copying your videos, reading your blog, etc. If you're okay with this, then go ahead.

Comment

You know what they say "When you put stuff on the internet, you can always control where it goes and who sees it"

Comment

Originally posted by standing on the sidelines View Post
                  As long as you are not mentioning her or the court case etc on the channel I am not sure what you are worried about. As long as the stuff that you want to try is legal not sure how it could be used against you in any way.

Just make sure it isn't something that you would be embarrassed if your granny or another family elder saw.

Thanks everyone. Nothing I would do is embarrassing or illegal. It's just a passion project and something I'd like to do for fun. My stepson is also very interested in having a youtube channel so I wanted to investigate the ins and outs so I could help him if he ever went ahead with his channel (with all parental permissions obviously).

I felt silly for even asking. And I completely understand that anything I put on the internet is no longer private. I am fully aware that she could watch and read anything of mine.

I feel silly because 7 years ago I wouldn't even have considered asking this kind of question because I would never assume someone would take the time to do this. But this is the same devout catholic who lost it on me in front of an entire piano recital at a church and called me a "f$%#ing wh$#@". This is also the same person that called the cops (who then called me) to request a peace bond against me because I used twitter (and she was afraid that I would tweet my "plans to shoot her" (in her words). All of this was with zero provocation or interaction on my part (avoid her like the plague because of this kind of stuff).

It all seems so silly and it is. But in the land of family court and post-divorce parenting it seems all too common a tale.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v921CaZYsow

Comment

@lulubuttons......I can't even believe you are asking this question. You lot sound like high school kids with all this drama.

Most people that post on facebook, twitter, instagram etc are just attention seeking. Do your husband and yourself a favour, and don't give the ex any more ammunition.

Get off social media...PERIOD!

Comment

Originally posted by hopefull View Post
                        @lulubuttons......I can't even believe you are asking this question. You lot sound like high school kids with all this drama.

Most people that post on facebook, twitter, instagram etc are just attention seeking. Do your husband and yourself a favour, and don't give the ex any more ammunition.

Get off social media...PERIOD!
                        wow I am sure there are plenty of people on here who are on social media.

Comment

Originally posted by lulubuttons View Post
                          Thank you everyone. I didn't mean to make it sound like I was dumb enough to post things online about their situation, OR while the trial was happening. Should have made that clear.
                          But, it could happen. With blogs come message forums and trolls. From what I have seen used in court the comments sections of blogs are where people screw up the most. Not in the blog post but, how they handle trolls. It could be the ex that trolls you, her family or friends. They will try to get you to say something in response. Why give anyone a forum like this to upset you and provide evidence that could be used against the father of the child?

The thing is, it would have absolutely NOTHING to do with her, the trial, my step-son, etc. I just want to start a channel for fun where I make videos about the cool new things I try, etc. But I completely understand that it could be used in any way they wanted, and to give them that kind of fodder would be foolish.
                          Trolls. The trolls will come.

After the trial though.....when an order is in place.....would there be any legal things I *should* do to protect myself? I actually don't know what she could do at all, so not even sure if this is a necessary question. We have a "live free from harassment" clause in the SA but not sure if I would need to do something in addition to this.
                          That clause is useless. Once you put yourself online you are not free from harassment. Ever. Welcome to the internet. Welcome to trolls.

Good Luck!
                          Tayken

Comment

... I just want to start a channel for fun where I make videos about the cool new things I try, etc.
                            My mommy blog ruined my life | New York Post

Many of the women are stay-at-home mothers hoping to monetize their blogs: In exchange for free stuff and experiences, or more formal paid-sponsorship agreements, they enthuse about a company’s product on their blogs and social-media platforms. Some of them make as much as they would at a traditional job outside the home.
                            I wouldn't recommend getting sucked into the marketing scam that is "mommy blogging".

An excellent read:

Dear Mommy Blogger Josi Denise

You’re writing in an inauthentic voice about an unoriginal subject, worse if sprinkled with horrible grammar and spelling, and you are contributing nothing to the world but static noise.

Quit because your mommy blog fucking sucks. And it’s not going to get better. There are probably a dozen things you are actually good at.

Find what you love, and what you do better than anyone else, and do that.

Comment

Ex's and Youtube channels

Blogs are useless unless you actually have something important to say. If this is just to share info on cool stuff with people who like you, use facebook.

If youre trying to get famous with a blog then I encourage you to watch the west wing episode with Lemon Lymon and see how ridiculous it is to be someone who thought you were cool posting on the internet. Translation: dont do it because thats ridiculous and stupid.

Youre not Martha Stewart or Oprah. No one cares and youll just be ridiculed.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X