Counter offer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Counter offer

Is it possible for someone to put in their agreement that the support payor will only pay child support and section 7 expenses until the child reaches the age of majority? The age of majority is 18 so if I agreed to this I would essentially be on the hook for post-secondary education on my own? Or is it unwritten rule that parents are both required to pay some portion of post-secondary no matter what? Ex has counter offered and this is one of his conditions....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You dont do it that way. You write it that child support is payable until and then list out the details: withdraws from parental control, finishes first degree, turns 21 etc.

If kid reaches 18 and is not in school you can agree to something else.

Comment

Originally posted by rockscan View Post
      You dont do it that way. You write it that child support is payable until and then list out the details: withdraws from parental control, finishes first degree, turns 21 etc.

If kid reaches 18 and is not in school you can agree to something else.

Maybe it's just worded this way because it's an Offer to Settle, but he has written "until the age of majority" for both child support and section 7 expenses. Obviously if I accepted this, I would have to put in all the stipulations you listed above.

Comment

No you dont accept that. The reason why is because when they turn 18 he will stop and you will have to go after him for more. I dont even think a judge would accept that in an agreement.

Im not sure how offers to settle work but this is a dick move on his part to throw in what isnt even legal. Technically by law a child is still "a child of the marriage" if they are over 18 and unable to withdraw from parental support due to school.

Comment

No you dont accept that. The reason why is because when they turn 18 he will stop and you will have to go after him for more. I dont even think a judge would accept that in an agreement.

Im not sure how offers to settle work but this is a dick move on his part to throw in what isnt even legal. Technically by law a child is still "a child of the marriage" if they are over 18 and unable to withdraw from parental support due to school.

This is what I thought - he can't really get away with absolving himself of supporting his kids with post-secondary education. And if this is truly how he feels then he really doesn't have his children's best interests at heart because me having to foot the bill solo would likely limit where they could attend, where they could live, etc. Wouldn't be fair. We attend mediation next week so I will be able to see if this is truly what he wants and not just poorly worded in his offer.

Comment

If you have a lawyer ask them to send you the O'Brien's settlement agreement document. It has it all in it and the proper clauses.

http://www.obriensforms.com/

If not I believe the "divorce kits" you can buy at Staples (etc...) have similar information.

Comment

xx. Child support payments, contributions to uninsured health care costs, child care costs, additional costs, and the maintenance of health insurance will continue as long as the child (or children) is/are considered a "child of the marriage" pursuant to the Divorce Act of 1985, or as long as a child is attending an educational institution, full-time, and is 18 years old or younger.

There are piles of examples online....

Comment

Originally posted by Tayken View Post
                xx. Child support payments, contributions to uninsured health care costs, child care costs, additional costs, and the maintenance of health insurance will continue as long as the child (or children) is/are considered a "child of the marriage" pursuant to the Divorce Act of 1985, or as long as a child is attending an educational institution, full-time, and is 18 years old or younger.

There are piles of examples online....

Perfect - thanks Tayken.

Comment

My partners ex has filed a mtc to add additional years of support/s7 for school. His lawyer has said the courts order a fourth year in almost all cases. Your ex will be responsible for the kids as long as they are school. You just want to make sure your order is crystal clear so he cant weasel out of it.

Im curious though, did his ots waiver from his request for 50/50?

Comment

I'm curious about this also. Is he still going for 50/50?

Comment

My partners ex has filed a mtc to add additional years of support/s7 for school. His lawyer has said the courts order a fourth year in almost all cases. Your ex will be responsible for the kids as long as they are school. You just want to make sure your order is crystal clear so he cant weasel out of it.

His offer puts him just under 40%. He wants to pay zero daycare and cut his support payment almost in half. So no, he's not asking for 50/50.

Comment

And end support at 18? Wow, I cannot believe my partner is seen as a bad guy by his ex. She has no idea what she could have ended up with...

Comment

Originally posted by Ange71727 View Post
                          His offer puts him just under 40%. He wants to pay zero daycare and cut his support payment almost in half. So no, he's not asking for 50/50.

This was predictable.
                          Money thing for sure.

Comment

And end support at 18? Wow, I cannot believe my partner is seen as a bad guy by his ex. She has no idea what she could have ended up with...
                            Not making me feel better Rockscan

Comment

Originally posted by Ange71727 View Post

Counter with his access schedule requested, full CS based on you having primary access and state that CS will end when x,y or z happen. He will look foolish trying to get away with not paying CS

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X