Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignorance is Bliss

Look at some of the guys here
    Child-care costs in Canada among highest in the world, OECD says - Business - CBC News

Letting their wives stay at home because their entire income would just go to childcare. Not realizing that they are creating an annual liability equivalent to 50% of their net income of their best years..

People still don't know...

Originally posted by Links17 View Post
    Look at some of the guys here
    Child-care costs in Canada among highest in the world, OECD says - Business - CBC News

Letting their wives stay at home because their entire income would just go to childcare. Not realizing that they are creating an annual liability equivalent to 50% of their net income of their best years..

People still don't know...
    This is a decision made by both people in the relationship.
    Why doesn't the husband stay home? Answer is pretty obvious - higher income earner works.

I sincerely believe that there exists a large disparity of wages between men and women.

If I were male I would strongly support wage parity for women in all industries. This isn't likely to happen in my or your lifetime but you can certainly implant the seeds in your children of equal pay for work of equal value and the importance of higher education for your daughters.

Comment

In my industry the women get paid exactly the same as the men, they also get treated a lot better than the men when it comes to looking after them when family situations make it difficult to do the normal job and they bend over backwards to keep them working one way or another even if it means kicking out a guy who has 30 more years in out of his job for her who maybe has been around 1 year or 5 years. I think its great that they treat them equally in pay and help to keep them working through difficult situation but I also see the females get taken care of much much better than the men. I guess it just has to be that way to change things over time...eventually at this rate hopefully everyone in every situation gets treated equally.

Comment

Originally posted by undersc0re View Post
        In my industry the women get paid exactly the same as the men, they also get treated a lot better than the men when it comes to looking after them when family situations make it difficult to do the normal job and they bend over backwards to keep them working one way or another even if it means kicking out a guy who has 30 more years in out of his job for her who maybe has been around 1 year or 5 years. I think its great that they treat them equally in pay and help to keep them working through difficult situation but I also see the females get taken care of much much better than the men. I guess it just has to be that way to change things over time...eventually at this rate hopefully everyone in every situation gets treated equally.
        In your industry and a few others this may very well be true but it certainly doesn't hold true for other employers/industries. Perhaps the current push to higher minimum wage would help/not help?

One huge problem is the increase of part-time jobs (no benefits) all over the country. Who fills those part-time jobs? Predominantly women and students. I can see how unions get their momentum with this sort of thing going on.

Comment

Really....how many times have we read it from posters who said their wives refused to go back to work after kid was of school age? Point here....once you are married, it's hard to win the argument when a wife decides she doesn't want to go back to work

Originally posted by arabian View Post
          This is a decision made by both people in the relationship.
          Why doesn't the husband stay home? Answer is pretty obvious - higher income earner works.

I sincerely believe that there exists a large disparity of wages between men and women.

If I were male I would strongly support wage parity for women in all industries. This isn't likely to happen in my or your lifetime but you can certainly implant the seeds in your children of equal pay for work of equal value and the importance of higher education for your daughters.

Comment

Perhaps it's a case of people not going to university, or ending up with a degree that is marketable???? History, arts, music, aesthetics is hardly going to earn you mega bux

The men and women in my field also get paid the same

In your industry and a few others this may very well be true but it certainly doesn't hold true for other employers/industries. Perhaps the current push to higher minimum wage would help/not help?

One huge problem is the increase of part-time jobs (no benefits) all over the country. Who fills those part-time jobs? Predominantly women and students. I can see how unions get their momentum with this sort of thing going on.

Comment

I agree with Links though... I have found in the past few months, if you've been through a recent separation/divorce, the people have quite a bit of knowledge in regards to law, costs, support, access, etc. Obviously.

But if someone has not been through it, they know absolutely nothing. They don't realize how they set themselves up. I'm the girl and I don't know if I'd ever be involved in a serious relationship with liabilities again. My son's pediatrician said "Prenup - Solid prenups are the building blocks to a lifelong happy, healthy relationship. Without the prenup, you're guaranteed an average of seven years of wedded bliss, followed by a lifetime of migraines and hemorrhoids"

Comment

HAha, there are no prenups in Canada.

Comment

Originally posted by Links17 View Post
                  HAha, there are no prenups in Canada.
                  There are pre-nuptial as well as post-nuptial agreements in Canada - check CanLII for samples.

Comment

How did this conversation come about? You also know that prenups can be tossed out of the window in some circumstances e.g. if a partner becomes disabled / serious health issues....a Judge will struggle to let the current prenup stand based on the new issue

Originally posted by Bellbaby View Post
                    I agree with Links though... I have found in the past few months, if you've been through a recent separation/divorce, the people have quite a bit of knowledge in regards to law, costs, support, access, etc. Obviously.

But if someone has not been through it, they know absolutely nothing. They don't realize how they set themselves up. I'm the girl and I don't know if I'd ever be involved in a serious relationship with liabilities again. My son's pediatrician said "Prenup - Solid prenups are the building blocks to a lifelong happy, healthy relationship. Without the prenup, you're guaranteed an average of seven years of wedded bliss, followed by a lifetime of migraines and hemorrhoids"

Comment

Gender, Occupation Choice and the Risk of Death at Work

Women and men tend to work in different occupations... Our results suggest that women choose safer jobs than men.
                      CARPE DIEM: Male-Female Occupational Death Gap Is 13 to 1

One other explanation for wage differentials could also be that men tend to work in higher-risk, less safe occupations, with a greater chance of injury or death (e.g. coal mining), at a higher rate than women, and are therefore compensated with higher wages for the greater exposure to risk (e.g. a window washer hanging off the top of the Sears tower washing windows outside 1,000 feet from the ground will make more than a window washer working inside the building.)
                      If I were male I would strongly support wage parity for women in all industries.
                      Equal pay for equal work, we can all agree on that.

Comment

If I were a woman..I will strongly support shared custody 50-50 right out of the gate at the breakdown of a relationship.

But then...we can all expect pigs to fly

Comment

Speaking of pigs. How are you doing Oink?

Comment

Originally posted by hopefull View Post
                            If I were a woman..I will strongly support shared custody 50-50 right out of the gate at the breakdown of a relationship.

But then...we can all expect pigs to fly
                            I think most women would support it, why wouldn't they want what is best for the children. Most women could take that break from the kids to go out and socialize etc...
                            If they have legal aid, and they despise the guy then maybe some can not resist but to make the ex's life a little more expensive and difficult, but most I am sure would do 50/50 if both parents are in a situation to do it and it does not make the children's life too hard, would suck to spend a week with mom a block from school, then the other week with dad 2hrs drive from school and friends, but it depends on a lot of other things I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by undersc0re View Post
                              I think most women would support it, why wouldn't they want what is best for the children. Most women could take that break from the kids to go out and socialize etc...
                              If they have legal aid, and they despise the guy then maybe some can not resist but to make the ex's life a little more expensive and difficult, but most I am sure would do 50/50 if both parents are in a situation to do it and it does not make the children's life too hard, would suck to spend a week with mom a block from school, then the other week with dad 2hrs drive from school and friends, but it depends on a lot of other things I guess.
                              Most divorcing women do not support it (I don't have a stat)

The standard position of at least some feminist groups is that it is a strategy by men to impoverish women and they are against any presumption of shard custody.

Financially speaking women have no incentive to give up sole custody. Consider.

1 - via spousal support they get PAID to raise the children (above and beyond anything child support and S7 expenses). The "salary" they get is based on their ex-husband income. Taxable (but you have such low income and everything else is tax-free so this is effectively taxed at such a a low rate becase you get 20000$ of tax-free credit) so in most cases TAX-FREE

2 - They get double the tax benefits which comes up to more than 10 thousands of dollars per year tax-free

3 - The father pays the majority of expenses of the child via S7 including daycare. (once again tax free)

4 - The father pays you child support. (once again tax free)

5 - You get the "celebrated" rank of "single mother" like you are "raising the kids alone" when in reality you have full support of the state and privatized welfare of your ex-wife.

6 - You get 50% of your weekends off anyways - as much as the dad (who really wants to go out every weekday?). And if you want to go out and bang random guys on weeknights you can get a babysitter or a family member do it and nobody can say a thing.

7 - Since you don't have to have a job , you can travel as much as you want and you have custody so as long as you have a "care" arrangements you can do what you want.

8 - let's not forget you can get remarried and get the support of the new guy and keep the support of the old guy
                              Last edited by Links17; 10-23-2016, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X