How to improve this forum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to improve this forum?

I think some of most knowledable ppl have left the forum. There are still people left who have great knowledge in certain areas of family law but 2-3 years ago we had more people with knowledge.

Those that help others currently are the forum holders. But what if they leave too? I dont wanna name them because some may feel offended but IMO there are upto 5 regulars with knowledge.

It would be nice if we got like 5 more people to help others. I dont know of any other family law forums like this one in canada. I asked 2 canadians, 1 on yt other in yahoo to join here but they never did.

But at least on the bright side we do have a rich forum when you click the search button you can find almost everything

In the world of internet information sharing the next step from here is to setup a wiki....

Comment

Perhaps I wasnt able to find a good, non bias website and all I did find was weak, few if any members websites, mostly from the states (if you take out dads or moms only). In 2008/09 I was desperately searching for forums and IMO this one is the "richest" divorce support forum in English language.

Comment

There are lots of biases here. Lots. Everyone's view points stem from their standing/starting points. Then, some members can look at issues objectively and irrationally, others already have their mind made up that they dislike first/second spouses or the individual is a fool for ponying up support in excess of what *may* be awarded. All that to say, it is what it is.

Comment

I find the forum has a lot of opinions. That to me can be a good thing because it makes me look at things from different angles. I think sometimes you have to filter through the advice. I do agree though there seems to be a handful of regulars with a rich knowledge base and would be great to have more but along with that will also come a lot of trolls, and people with very little knowledge. I agree with Serene....It is what it is!

Comment

I 'outed' myself to two friends recently, who are FLA lawyers, to ask if they would consider joining and offer some advice in their spare time. They were concerned about anonymity and potential liability.

Does anyone actually tell their lawyer they are participants in this forum? I think each and every time this website is provided to a lawyer, we have a chance at one perhaps contributing. Jeff could easily, in the background and privately, check the creds before confirming lawyer status. I'm not sure that would deal with their concerns re: potential liability.
            Start a discussion, not a fire. Post with kindness.

Comment

Originally posted by mcdreamy View Post
              I 'outed' myself to two friends recently, who are FLA lawyers, to ask if they would consider joining and offer some advice in their spare time. They were concerned about anonymity and potential liability.

Does anyone actually tell their lawyer they are participants in this forum? I think each and every time this website is provided to a lawyer, we have a chance at one perhaps contributing. Jeff could easily, in the background and privately, check the creds before confirming lawyer status. I'm not sure that would deal with their concerns re: potential liability.
              If they are not hired by someone then would there be a liability issue? They would be on here offering advice from the limited facts that are presented on the board, they would be giving their opinion just like the rest of us. Maybe some sort of disclaimer stating that advice here isn't legal advice and the forum and members are not liable??

Comment

Standing - I think it was a personal comfort level on the advice, as they can always disclaim they are monkeys on a keyboard, I believe their major concern was anonymity. Of which there is no guarantee whatsoever once you start posting.

And frankly, if someone can be successful in a lawsuit against Tim Horton's for coffee served too hot, there are no limits, are there.

Hopefully I managed to tweak some interest. I'm debating hitting a few others up... but that said, the members of this forum can reach, on a provincial level, many many more. With accurate advice, this forum could become a powerhouse.
                Start a discussion, not a fire. Post with kindness.

Comment

I have to say that I do enjoy the unencumbered flow of people's opinions and I find it interesting to read of how people manage to get through their day-to-day lives during divorce/separation.

I suspect that the ODF has been logged onto many time by lawyers who practice family law.

We have been fortunate to have OrleansLawyer contribute many times.

Comment

When I told a lawyer 2 years ago that I use this forum he said "that must be a good website you are using". The reason I told him was because he was impressed by my affidavit which was actually for most part written by a couple of people here that helped me. Prior to that he assumed it was written by me alone. No I said. ODF has been mentioned on canlii as well.

Comment

The other concern I would have about lawyers is shilling for business. We've already had a few such incidents - "I had the same problem as you, but then I found this amazing lawyer in [insert city] who sorted it out for me! PM me and I'll send you the name!". However, if these are people you know personally and they're not looking to drum up clients, their knowledge would be welcome.

Comment

What kinda lawyer would snoop around a forum to secretly refer people to himself? Especially because Canada is in need for more FL lawyers where many leave this job and move on to real estate and other better paying jobs.I dont have a link but I read it in local newspaper a couple years back. Googling will confirm it.

Comment

Not meaning to be offensive but I too found this forum to be a wealth of excellent information years ago however in the last couple of years I find it is information that people "think" or have "heard" to be true. It is more what posters think makes sense which unfortunately is not how family law works in my experience.
                          I am being taken back to court for the 17th time over 10 years. I have been through full trial and numerous motions all self rep'd over the years and do enjoy lurking and reading the various opinions and glad the site is here. I do take everything on here with a gain of salt as everyone should. Keep posting!!

Comment

Realty - it might be of benefit to many posters if you were to perhaps chime in more often and point out your personal reality of family law as a self-represented litigant. My experience in family law has been quite different from many posters but I keep in mind that, more often than not, posters are residents of Ontario and I do know that things can differ province to province.

In the end would you agree that many rulings from the bench do come down to the judge's discretion? These decisions should be sound and based on case law - of which we can find on CanLii.

One small, but important difference between Ontario and Alberta for you to note is that when a judge determines spousal support (a topic which I have personal experience with - certainly not professional), in Alberta the judge does not have to stipulate a reason for diverting from the SSAG - in Ontario, should a judge not follow the SSAG, the judge must give written reason. "I believe" this latter statement to be true as I was told this by my lawyer. This may or may not be correct as I cannot find case law to back up this 'rule of thumb' statement. I take the information as being correct as my lawyer has many years experience under his belt as well as having graduated from law school. I don't believe I have ever posted this information until now as I cannot corroborate it.

What I am saying is that people ultimately have to do their homework. It matters little if you are self-represented or represented by competent counsel - one should most definitely be independently convinced of laws and matters pertaining to their own individual family law matter. In my opinion that is.

Comment

Originally posted by Reality View Post
                              Not meaning to be offensive but I too found this forum to be a wealth of excellent information years ago however in the last couple of years I find it is information that people "think" or have "heard" to be true. It is more what posters think makes sense which unfortunately is not how family law works in my experience.
                              I am being taken back to court for the 17th time over 10 years. I have been through full trial and numerous motions all self rep'd over the years and do enjoy lurking and reading the various opinions and glad the site is here. I do take everything on here with a gain of salt as everyone should. Keep posting!!
                              no one here has ever claimed to be an expert in family law. In fact we are just everyday people who have had to deal with the aspects of divorce.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X