Fraud? Or just plain stupid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fraud? Or just plain stupid?

I'm divorced from my ex 5 years. He was in a work accident that left him with severe back issues. He had to retire and his income became a monthly disability cheque. Unfortunately he became a reclusive couch potato who drank often. He also became verbally abusive, so I left him. I have an excellent paying job with great health benefits so when negotiating the terms of our divorce, which was pretty air tight for me because I insisted on us having a prenup which protected my income and he his,

The one thing we had to discuss was my health benefits. He had none and I had an excellent policy. So the deal was I would continue to carry him for no more than 3 years. Simple done and over with. This is where it gets sticky. He filed a claim to the insurance company for reimbursement of the out of pocket expense to him for his eye exam. The normal practise was he had blank claims forms that I only put my signature on and my address and of course I'D numbers, he would fill out the actual claims portion and then send it in with receipts. If it was a good claim the insurance company processed it, it would get mailed directly to me and I would then cash it and then give to him. It was fair and I didn't mind

Today I found out that he received a check at HIS house from one of his claims being filed and approved. Turns out he put his address where my address should go because I am the member, not him! He know it's wrong because we did it the same way every time and it included him putting my address on it.

To flu this up for you he took at cheque addressed to me, and somehow was able to cash that check that I didn't endorse and which had my name on it, not his!

It's being investigated by my insurance company as they say it's fraud, no matter if the funds were technically his or not. He cashed a check that was not his and possibly forged my signature. What should I do legally. I've had it with his antics. I'm so mad I want him charged!

Anyone else here ever have a check forged or any other criminal behaviour?

Was he injured while you were married?

Comment

How long were you married (the words "for better or worse... sickness and in health" come to mind)?

And yes, my ex was charged for, after a lengthy and thorough investigation by the city police, of fraud over 5,000.00 Charges were later dropped simply because it was felt that it was a family court matter.

My experience (after spending serious money on this) is to drop the matter and move on. You are only out a few hundred bucks. Let it be a lesson to you: don't sign a blank cheque/form for anyone, anywhere, anytime. Your ex is no longer family.

My lesson: being a partner with my husband in an incorporated business was worthless.... had we not been married I would have had legal recourse.

Comment

This man was abusive to me for a very long time. So bad in fact that I had to,and still do, seek medical attention for PTSD. How dare you.

You might want to go back and read my post. No where did I say that I signed any blank check!

Him illegally cashing a check that is in my name, without my enforcement. That's fraud no matter how you look at it and it won't cost me a dime when the authorities take my complaint.

Are you ppl serious? What the hell does the length of my marriage have to do with my ex husband committing fraud.

Am I being pranked here? The last time I heard this kind of foolishness was listening to Trump give a rally speech.

Comment

I am just curious - because there is no such thing is prenups in Canada (they can be thrown out easily). Also, if he was injured during the marriage all bets are off he can re-open up the agreement on that basis alone.

Comment

Originally posted by Matilda View Post
            I'm divorced from my ex 5 years. He was in a work accident that left him with severe back issues. He had to retire and his income became a monthly disability cheque. Unfortunately he became a reclusive couch potato who drank often. He also became verbally abusive, so I left him. I have an excellent paying job with great health benefits so when negotiating the terms of our divorce, which was pretty air tight for me because I insisted on us having a prenup which protected my income and he his,

The one thing we had to discuss was my health benefits. He had none and I had an excellent policy. So the deal was I would continue to carry him for no more than 3 years. Simple done and over with. This is where it gets sticky. He filed a claim to the insurance company for reimbursement of the out of pocket expense to him for his eye exam. The normal practise was he had blank claims forms that I only put my signature on and my address and of course I'D numbers, he would fill out the actual claims portion and then send it in with receipts. If it was a good claim the insurance company processed it, it would get mailed directly to me and I would then cash it and then give to him. It was fair and I didn't mind

Today I found out that he received a check at HIS house from one of his claims being filed and approved. Turns out he put his address where my address should go because I am the member, not him! He know it's wrong because we did it the same way every time and it included him putting my address on it.

To flu this up for you he took at cheque addressed to me, and somehow was able to cash that check that I didn't endorse and which had my name on it, not his!

It's being investigated by my insurance company as they say it's fraud, no matter if the funds were technically his or not. He cashed a check that was not his and possibly forged my signature. What should I do legally. I've had it with his antics. I'm so mad I want him charged!

Anyone else here ever have a check forged or any other criminal behaviour?

your own words madame

Comment

Irrelevant.

Comment

[QUOTE=Matilda;214134]This man was abusive to me for a very long time. So bad in fact that I had to,and still do, seek medical attention for PTSD. How dare you.

You might want to go back and read my post. No where did I say that I signed any blank check!

Him illegally cashing a check that is in my name, without my enforcement. That's fraud no matter how you look at it and it won't cost me a dime when the authorities take my complaint.

Are you ppl serious? What the hell does the length of my marriage have to do with my ex husband committing fraud.

Am I being pranked here? The last time I heard this kind of foolishness was listening to Trump give a rally speech.[/QUOTE]

Last time I checked the news Trump won the election.

No prank.

If you think you have a case then have the police press charges. Wait 6 or 7 months for a full investigation. Let us know how you make out in court.

I don't know how your PTSD is relevant to fraud.

Length of marriage - I asked that because it came to my mind that your ex may be entitled to spousal support. Issues that come out of your fraud case may very well support his claim. I'd be very careful before walking down that corridor.

BTW - I had been in receipt of my divorce order for over 6 months when my ex committed fraud against me. I had a family law lawyer, a corporate lawyer and a criminal lawyer. Made no difference in the end.
                Last edited by arabian; 11-11-2016, 12:25 AM.

Comment

None of what you are talking about is relevant . MY EX HUSBAND CASHED A CHECK THAT WAS NOT ADRESSED TO HIM!

The girl that warned me that this forum was full of trolls who chomp at the bit every time they see an opportunity to make assumptions and practise their non-existent law degrees because IQ is too low to ever come close to any formal post secondary education, let alone a law degree.

Comment

Semantics my dear. Forgive me for offending your sensibilities. We had a Marriage Contract. Shame on me for calling it a prenup. I don't know what I was thinking!! I wonder will they deport me for using the American terminology for the exact same thing as a Marriage Contract.

Comment

None of what you are talking about is relevant . MY EX HUSBAND CASHED A CHECK THAT WAS NOT ADRESSED TO HIM!

The girl that warned me that this forum was full of trolls who chomp at the bit every time they see an opportunity to make assumptions and practise their non-existent law degrees because IQ is too low to ever come close to any formal post secondary education, let alone a law degree.
                      Feel better now?

Happy to respond to your question. Anytime!
                      Signed
                      Troll with non-existent law degree with low IQ and no formal post-secondary education.

Sheesh
                      Last edited by arabian; 11-11-2016, 12:45 AM.

Comment

You made the comment about in sickness in health and tried to shame me for Lea I got him. I have self respect and that's why I left. My marriage contract does not allow for SS to be paid to either of us.

Now you Troll. Go back to your Nintendo and bleak meaningless life.

Comment

I know your type. Hostile, bitter and low self esteem. Probably borderline personality - definitely failure to thrive. I'm sorry your parents didn't hug you enough.

Comment

You made the comment about in sickness in health and tried to shame me for Lea I got him. I have self respect and that's why I left. My marriage contract does not allow for SS to be paid to either of us.

Now you Troll. Go back to your Nintendo and bleak meaningless life.
                            ???

Nintendo? Do they still make Nintendo in 2016?

Comment

Wow. That escalated quickly.

Matilda, please refrain from personal attacks.

Your issue is unrelated to divorce in any way.

Curious though, as most insurance companies will only cover a current spouse and not a divorced spouse.

Either way, not a divorce issue.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X