New Wife Inherits Large Sum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Wife Inherits Large Sum

My current wife recently inherited a large sum of money - $135 thousand dollars. Is there any way my ex wife, who is extremely money hungry, can possibly have any entitlement to this? My current wife's income has never been included in any of our past or present negotiations and ex wife has not attempted, to date, to include my wife's income in her claims.

Also, we are using 30 k to legally finance my fight for access to my child and to fight SS. We are willing to spend any amount to see justice served. Is there any way that ex legally can find out that I now have the money to see it through? I don't want her to know that I have given my lawyer the go ahead to do whatever it takes to get the job done, including interviewing dozens and dozens of individuals as potential witnesses.

My understanding is that any monies I give my lawyer are private and ex can in no way find out how much I give my lawyer. Is this correct?

Currently fighting the ex with current wife's money?

Yep your wife can blow through her money any which way she likes.

I'm sure your lawyer will keep the fight alive. Keep in mind that no amount of money will help you if you don't have a case. Lawyers love well-funded clients. Lucky lawyer.

Comment

Originally posted by rainman View Post
      ... I don't want her to know that I have given my lawyer the go ahead to do whatever it takes to get the job done, including interviewing dozens and dozens of individuals as potential witnesses.
      Your current wife's inheritance is hers. Your ex can't touch it. It's up to your wife how she wants to "invest" that money.

I bolded the above because I would never-ever-not-in-a-million-years tell my lawyer I had unlimited funds.

Comment

I bolded the above because I would never-ever-not-in-a-million-years tell my lawyer I had unlimited funds.
        Unless of course they see your financial form. In the OP's case though, the new partner's inheritance should not be brought to any Lawyer's attention. All of a sudden numerous emails, phone calls and drafts will be racked up

As Mr Wonderful (Kevin O'leary) will say..."I love money", and that is exactly what Lawyers say to themselves

Comment

Originally posted by rainman View Post
          My current wife recently inherited a large sum of money - $135 thousand dollars. Is there any way my ex wife, who is extremely money hungry, can possibly have any entitlement to this? My current wife's income has never been included in any of our past or present negotiations and ex wife has not attempted, to date, to include my wife's income in her claims.

Also, we are using 30 k to legally finance my fight for access to my child and to fight SS. We are willing to spend any amount to see justice served. Is there any way that ex legally can find out that I now have the money to see it through? I don't want her to know that I have given my lawyer the go ahead to do whatever it takes to get the job done, including interviewing dozens and dozens of individuals as potential witnesses.

My understanding is that any monies I give my lawyer are private and ex can in no way find out how much I give my lawyer. Is this correct?
          It's also not yours either. If she keeps it separate you have no entitlement to it...should your marriage end badly...

Comment

Anyone find this pathetic? First that the new wife is willing to use death-benefits money to interfere in someone else's divorce. Second, that someone would use their new spouse this way.

By the way, interviewing dozens of witnesses sounds like an absolute waste of your new wife's money.

I guess there's a sucker born every minute.

Comment

Seriously, you realize there are no winners in family law except lawyers and their children. Please don't say things like:

We are willing to spend any amount to see justice served.
              This is the LEGAL system it isn't a system based on JUSTICE, its based on politicians pandering to constituencies, Special Interest Groups etc....

Just deal with the essentials and DON'T LET your lawyer know you're rich

Comment

Originally posted by Pursuinghappiness View Post
                Anyone find this pathetic? First that the new wife is willing to use death-benefits money to interfere in someone else's divorce. Second, that someone would use their new spouse this way.

By the way, interviewing dozens of witnesses sounds like an absolute waste of your new wife's money.

Well personally I would avoid involving the new partner in any old battle. It helped end one relationship of mine when the new partner wanted to wade in.

And while fighting for access isn't a bad thing, this "at all costs" notion is a bit antagnostic for me. I wouldn't spend 10s of thousands to avoid 10 thousand in spousal support. It doesn't cost much to get access, just time and energy. And you are correct, witnesses are pretty much useless, unless they are experts like doctors.

Comment

Originally posted by Pursuinghappiness View Post

Absolutely agree with you PH. Yes it is indeed pathetic. Don't think I'd be looking at a guy who wants money from me to fight his ex. Yikes!

Comment

Your lawyer must be drooling!

Comment

Rainman, I have to agree with all above, giving your lawyer that kind of go ahead is very naive. Of course your lawyer will promise you the moon, he/she is in business to make a good living same as anyone else.
                      Even if this money did win you your case, what happens say 5-10 years down the line if you and new wife split up? She'll be wanting the money back in some way ... Karma or call it whatever you like.
                      If your case against ex wife is solid, you don't really need that kind of cash anyway.

Comment

Well personally I would avoid involving the new partner in any old battle.
                        It's no different from others that are now in "new relationships", even though there is unfinished business with their ex.....the "new partner" now involved in one way or another

The OP just happens to have a "new partner" that is willing to fund his fight for justice at any cost.

Comment

Rainman:

I am confused by some of your information. I thought you had access already but now you say you want to use current wife's money for access and to fight SS? Did you lose access or are you looking to increase your access?

In some of your previous posts you mentioned that you were doing very well for yourself financially. I believe one of your posts mentioned working 70 hrs a week. Unless you are a minimum wage earner I don't see why you would need to take money from your current spouse to fight the ex wife?

Comment

Rainman didn't say he was taking the money from his new partner.....his original post reads like this...

Also, we are using 30 k to legally finance my fight for access to my child and to fight SS.
                            No different from a low earner in a household, being carried by a higher earner in a household. For a example a paralegal that married a Lawyer

Comment

Your interpretation is quite interesting.

I guess when my ex used my money it was me supporting the lower income earner?

Hilarious - never thought of it that way.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X