This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pay half the bills? Too much???

My wife and I recently separated (2 weeks) and I left our matrimonial home. I am currently living wherever I can and only went back to the home to get my clothes. We have met several times to discuss a separation agreement and have not hammered out a final. While discussing financials I asked her to pay for half the monthly house bills. I am no longer living there and due a recent salary reduction and living off fast food etc. I'm strapped for cash. IMO she is just as responsible for her 50% as am I. She said that she will not based on the fact that I always paid all the bills. She makes more than enough to cover the bills so I don’t' really know what game she's playing. Since my name is on everything I will have to find a way to pay the bills. What are your thoughts on that if she doesn't pay then I occupy the home??? I'm not sure she'd leave if I moved back in though.....
    <O</O

Thanks in advance.....<O</O

If the bills are in your name I would cut them off. If they are in her name I would consider it her debt. It could take months or years to hammar out a separation agreement. That is what I would do.

Comment

I would mve back in and tell her that if she expects you to pay the bills then you are living there.

Comment

I agree with Phoenix and SOTS. Either move back in or take your name off the bills. It's never a good idea to leave the home without an agreement. Do you have any kids?

Tell her that you would be asking for occupational rent for exclusively using the house. Utilities are part of occupancy costs and whoever occupies the house is responsible for them. The only thing you would be required to pay half and half is the property tax on the house.

Comment

Simple solution, get on the phone and cancel eveything. Very very easy. If you feel to harsh, send her a registered letter...something to the effect since you no longer reside in the matrimonial home you will be removing your name/cancelling all accounts in your name as of a date that you feel fair, say 30 gays notice. It's a non issue no one wold expect you to pay given your statements.

Comment

Do you have kids or not?

If no kids then tell her that you will be cancelling the bills in your name effective on month from now and provide her with the information on which companies she should contact to get them in her name. Mortgage is another issue as are property taxes, but the utilities is a good place to start.

If there are kids, then you have to start paying CS according to the tables and your custody situation (though it would seem she is taking care of them if you have children), once you start paying CS, then you can cancel the utilities in your name as mentioned above.

Comment

Move back in until you hammer out a separation agreement then have the agreement reviewed by a lawyer before you sign it. Speak to a lawyer, usually they will offer an hour of free advice to get an understanding of your case. Call as many lawyers as you can until you understand your rights.

Comment

Thanks everyone. No, we do not have kids. I think I'll attempt to move back in. I have to speak to a lawyer first.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                Working...
                X