This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going through self-rep in Halifax

I am going self-rep until I find a new lawyer in Halifax and I am scared.

I haven't done it, but it seems a lot of people have. Read up as much as you can and prepare. There is some good stuff to read at the top in the first forum:

Divorce & Family Law - Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

Comment

Is this appropriate

It has been two weeks since I heard that I was being taking to Court - why, I have no idea as discussed in my previous posts.

I have tried to communicate with my ex - that didn't work out well. I tried to communicate with my ex's lawyer - no response. I tried to communicate with the Court Officer - rude response. Forget that.

The Court did go back and ask for information and I asked the Court to ask for additional information as well. So I am wondering where I no longer have a lawyer and don't qualify for legal aid, who do I contact to see if the date has been set down.

Comment

If everyone has your address you will be notified. If you don't have enough time to prepare your response you can attend court at the specified time and request a continuance. Keep documentation to prove when you received notice.

How do you know you are being "taken to court"? I'd ignore it until you are legally served notice.

Comment

Sent through previous lawyer

It was sent through previous lawyer. I have tried to explain to both my ex, his lawyer and the Court that I am completely willing to negotiate if they come to the table with honesty; but, I guess my ex and his new wife are determined to take me to Court. Oh well!!! I am seriously stupid when it comes to this s**t!!!

Comment

Well you have to get your shit together. File your defense or hire a lawyer to do it for you. IF you go to Provincial Court of Ontario under forms you can see what forms you have to fill out and file (as well as who you have to file with). Very straightforward. So you have 3 choices: a) retain a lawyer, b) fill out forms yourself, or c) do nothing which essentially means you agree with your ex.

Playing a victim, or stupid, or overwhelmed will get you no where. Sounds like negotiating time is over and they want resolution.

Comment

I want resolution

I WANT RESOLUTION and they are slow.

Comment

Originally posted by arabian View Post
                Well you have to get your shit together. File your defense or hire a lawyer to do it for you. IF you go to Provincial Court of Ontario under forms you can see what forms you have to fill out and file (as well as who you have to file with). Very straightforward. So you have 3 choices: a) retain a lawyer, b) fill out forms yourself, or c) do nothing which essentially means you agree with your ex.

Playing a victim, or stupid, or overwhelmed will get you no where. Sounds like negotiating time is over and they want resolution.
                Done especially after the ridiculous letter that I received from his lawyer. Getting it notarized and sending it to the Court and to the lawyer.

All my paperwork and I don't appreciate having to take the day off of work to do it.

Hopefully I will get somewhere. Seriously it is time for them to move on and stop clinging to me by taking me into Court every six months.

Comment

Good for getting things done. You must feel better already!

Comment

My ex and his girlfriend spend much of their leisure time plotting and planning for upcoming useless litigation against me. I often wonder what they would have to talk about if we weren't divorced! I think my lawyer is actually finding it all quite humorous as the last time met up at court they shared a few laughs together. My ex is so stupid I think he assumes my lawyer just likes him! Of course my lawyer likes him - he makes lots of money off of his stupidity.

Maybe your ex will start a new family or something to keep em occupied - you can only wish! [IN MY OPINION]

Comment

He already has

When he take them for everything they are worth, he will move on.

What got me going was his lawyer. She is going to make a fortune off of them.

Comment

It's pretty stupid isn't it? My ex has a a new life, new girlfriend, and you would think he'd have better places to spend his money than with a lawyer. In my case I think he just didn't get hit with enough legal bills. Well that's going to change real soon. We're talking down-payment for a house type of legal bills. Totally stupid. Total case of I TOLD YOU SO.

[IN MY OPINION]

Comment

It's pretty stupid isn't it? My ex has a a new life, new girlfriend, and you would think he'd have better places to spend his money than with a lawyer. In my case I think he just didn't get hit with enough legal bills. Well that's going to change real soon. We're talking down-payment for a house type of legal bills. Totally stupid. Total case of I TOLD YOU SO.

[IN MY OPINION]
                          My ex has more money than brains. He thinks I care about the new family. I don't give a rats ass. She should be figuring him out outside of the hotel bed by now or will shortly. Found out he lied on Income Tax Returns and his dumb lawyer placed them through to the Court.

My former lawyer didn't want the legal fees and told me not to contact him unless it was essential. even though the Court and MEPS was contacting me to contact him. I had to remind him of the same thing over and over. This is my ex's second lawyer. Have a feeling he will move on from her soon too.
                          Last edited by atlanticcanadian; 07-17-2012, 08:35 PM.

Comment

My ex had bogus tax returns and had filed it in court as well. I do know CRA was watching him closely. Ex's girlfriend tried desperately to sic CRA on me (I was contacted) but I have nothing to hide so she ended up looking really stupid, and non-credible to them in the end. She ended up eating most of the dust she kicked up as my ex had to file an adjusted return. Karma.

A lawyer not wanting legal fees? How unusual.

My ex has been through 4 lawyers so far. Yawn. I'm sure he's onto a new one soon. Think I'll start a thread asking people about the most bizarre retainer arrangements they've heard about. I'm sure my ex has something "creative" going on as he is an undischarged bankrupt.

Comment

Hired a lawyer. I don't got time for reading the law and trying to figure out how it applies to my case in Nova Scotia. However, today I was told he will give me something every two weeks; but, without an Order that isn't good enough.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X