Lawyer to reduce their bill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lawyer to reduce their bill

So up to my eye balls in legal bills. Porceeding to a settlement conference, but EX served another motion.
    Can't take time off work to send represent.
    Have anyone tried to bargain with the lawyer to reduce their rate?
    At what point I can fire lawyer and get a cheaper one?
    Thanks

Ask your lawyer if they would consider becoming a "friend of the court". You do all the paper work, etc with a little advice from them .. and they show up to assist you in court...at a reduced rate.

Comment

LovingFather's suggestion is a good one.
      It's usually referred to as 'unbundled legal services'. A 'friend of the court' is a different concept usually reserved for third parties who have no interest in the case, but in the law underlying the case. But I digress...

Having a lawyer step in 'just for court' works well when they have faith in your ability to do the documents yourself, but there is a wide range of skill in drafting. I wouldn't appear for just anyone as the arguments and supporting material could be terrible.

As for lower fees that's unlikely. But done right they should take less time.

Comment

I have told my lawyer about my financial situation when I hired him, he agreed to let me pay him what legal aid would pay him. Current legal aid rate was around $170/hour(In Ontario) when I could afford that route, but I had to seek other options once I exhausted my funds.

I highly doubt that any lawyer that does not accept legal aid would do this, but maybe try and make some calls to ones that do.

Comment

I'd take $170/hr for a client with demonstrated financial need. My normal rate is $275/hr.

Private retainer > LAO. The bureaucratic nightmare of Legal Aid hardens the hearts of even the most optimistic counsel.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X