Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Canada Child Benefit

Hi there,

In a 50-50 split with two kids, will both parents be able to claim for it? What if one parent doesn't qualify due to salary? Can they still claim it so the other parent doesn't get the full amount?

Yes, I understand it will beneficial to the kids for someone to get it but it's just a question.

Thanks for any help.

If you don't qualify, for whatever reason, I can't imagine they would allow you to claim it just so the other couldn't. You don't qualify = you don't qualify. Period.

Comment

Originally posted by blinkandimgone View Post
      If you don't qualify, for whatever reason, I can't imagine they would allow you to claim it just so the other couldn't. You don't qualify = you don't qualify. Period.
      I don't think it would be any different then the benefits now that are often income based. In a 50-50 arrangement, one parent should not receive 100% of the benefit, just because the other parent makes too much to qualify. That would be fraud no? And if CRA found out, the parent claiming the full amount would be made to pay it back.

I would say both parents should apply as they would the other benefits and if one makes too much, oh well they get none, but the other parent only gets what they are entitled too.

Comment

BF... It is income based, and if parents have 50-50 and one parent makes too much money, they don't qualify for any money. It's the same now.

I'm not entirely sure what happens if a parent who makes too much to get anything back applies, because you have the right to apply. But for one parent to apply, knowing they don't qualify just so the other parent (in reality, the child) can't get it, is absolutely petty and spiteful. It's up to each parent to apply, but you're not obligated and the other parent shouldn't be penalized because you don't.

Comment

Yes but just because one parent doesn't qualify doesn't mean the other qualifies for the full amount. Right now parents split the benefit, lower income still get more. The new system is no different. Both parents are entitled to apply in s shared access situation. If one parent based on income makes too much, this doesn't mean the other gets to apply like they gave full custody. It's not petty or spiteful. It's the law and the lower earning parent isn't entitled to double the money because the other doesn't qualify

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have recently been dealing with this.

Ex and I have 50-50 shared custody. She currently collects full child benefits from the Gov, as she earns alot less than I and the benefits I would receive would be minimal at best, I decided to not apply. CRA recently asked her to provide proof of our parenting arrangement. I provided a signed copy of our schedule but suspect she just gave them letters from school and other stuff to provide proof she has sole custody. We do not have a written agreement.

She is playing a dengerous game, if CRA catches on she will be on the hook for a big sum of money as the benefits are quite generous. I really wish she would just get her stuff together and find a way to live in her means but alas, I can only control what I do.

Comment

Originally posted by calicodacat View Post
              I have recently been dealing with this.

Ex and I have 50-50 shared custody. She currently collects full child benefits from the Gov, as she earns alot less than I and the benefits I would receive would be minimal at best, I decided to not apply. CRA recently asked her to provide proof of our parenting arrangement. I provided a signed copy of our schedule but suspect she just gave them letters from school and other stuff to provide proof she has sole custody. We do not have a written agreement.

She is playing a dengerous game, if CRA catches on she will be on the hook for a big sum of money as the benefits are quite generous. I really wish she would just get her stuff together and find a way to live in her means but alas, I can only control what I do.
              If there is no court order then CRA will grant it to who ever applied first. If he/she (I assume she) claims she has the child and CRA takes it back from you, you can object that with CRA.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
              Working...
              X