X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Should Read...

HEY EVERYONE....

I posted a question under "Is this Normal" and everyone that read my question read it WRONG.... EH your out... ha ha ha

Come on guy's read the questions, just don't read 1/2 the question and reply. For those of you that did reply why don't you have a go and re-look over the question.

Jeeze....(okay guy's I am asking questions in English right?)

honey I'm home - regarding people not reading the other post correctly - and I'm pretty sure the consensus was - yeah it is normal, lawyers take a long time to respond and I don't think it really matters whether its to another lawyer or to their client. It more than likely depends on their case load. IN my case ( which is my only frame of reference) it took 7 freaking years, that was because of him, his lawyer and my lawyer taking their sweet time to do anything! The only time I saw my lawyer move quickly was in the beginning for an ex parte hearing to get my kids back. I know for my ex he was waiting an average of 6 wks to get a phone call to advise him of paper work we sent..not including the 3 times they lost the paper work that is.

The people that answered can only speak from their own experience, sorry if it wasn't the answers you were looking for but frankly if any of us were experts on lawyers and how the law should work we wouldn't need lawyers to begin with.

I have to say I find the tone of your post rather offensive. Just because we are all relatively anonymous doesn't mean you should be rude or unecessarily sarcastic..is this how you would speak to us if we were all sitting in a room face to face? Why get all crappy about it, if you feel people misunderstood, try to clarify the question..

Comment

Dear Jlalex

Hey....

Well sorry I don't buy that. I work within an industry where everything I do is time sensitive to a point.

Let me put it like this how about you go to the bank tomorrow with $5,000 in cash let's say all $20 dollar bills and it's taken you 3 years to stash it away, and you want to go on holidays.... the next day you go to the bank to take out $520.00.... the teller disappears and a couple of minutes she reappears with the bank manager and the bank manager asks to speak with you alone....

I know yesterday you came in here and deposited $5,000, but unfortunately we have not had the chance to check every $20.00 bill that you brought with you so until we can confirm that this is legal tender you will have wait. And then weeks and weeks go by your trip is gone.... then what...

Sorry don't buy that one. You know what a lawyer is like a doctor (and I do want to say in advance that I do not work for the firm hosting this site and I have had no dealings other than this chat area, mind you I am enjoying myself)... anyway a lawyer is like a doctor... and if the lawyer has to many people to look after, maybe the lawyer should not take on so much work.

JUST my point of view.

Comment

I work for the law firm hosting this site.

A huge part of family law involves deadlines, adjournments, waiting, waiting and more waiting. Lawyers that have their client's best interests at heart don't want their clients to suffer through a long, drawn-out procedure, but sometimes this cannot be avoided. We're not always just dealing with opposing counsel and their client. We're dealing with appraisers, valuators, the court staff, the judges, psychologists, counsellors.. the list goes on and on. It is impossible for a firm and all of these people to synchronize their schedules perfectly. That being said, a lawyer's case load is not always the culprit.

I agree with jlalex's comments on not all of the members being experts. They are here to try and help. However, if anyone wants to start a thread simply to vent, by all means, go for it. Let's just try to avoid attacking the intelligence of our members.

Thanks,
        Lindsay
        Last edited by Lindsay; 03-09-2006, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Actually another time a lawyer will move their buns is to collect their money!

Hubby

Comment

Honey I'm home - Hey..I whole heartedly agree with you!! In my opinion things should probably move faster. And from the perspective of the client after plunking down a significant wad of cash I would have liked to have seen my lawyer move a lot more quickly. In fact between myself and my ex we've paid approximately 25,000 dollars in what should have been an easy breezy divorce. But 7 very long years later its finally coming to a close.

I can understand the furstration your friend must feel, because when you are in the middle of divorce you just want it to be over more than anything. But unfortunately it takes as long as it takes. If your friend is really concerned I would advise them to talk to their lawyer and see if things can't be moved a long a little more quickly and express their concerns regarding delays.

And I further agree that when a lawyer has too heavy a caseload it is not any kind of excuse for delays..if there is just too much work and not enough hours in a day, why take another on, just like doctors with too many patients ( I have one of those doctors by the way..average waiting time for appointments is an hour ) It ain't right but what are ya gonna do?

I too work in a very time sensitive field - emergency services - and there is simply no tolerance for delays..and even as fast as we can send help often times it isn't fast enough for the public as far as they're concerned. Though I know from my end of it, help got there as fast as humanly possible, but public isn't aware of my side of things.

But also like Lindsey said there is a lot going on behind scenes that us the client are not aware of that likely have in impact of how long things take.

I hope for you friends sake things go well and the delays are a minimum.

Peace,
            J

Comment

Lindsay:

Just a note to file I wasn't poking a finger at your firm - I was poking a finger at the system, which your site supports sometimes it's not a fair system, but hey what's fair in life so on that note if any of you felt that I was poking a finger at you... sorry

I have to admit I'm just sooo glad that it's not ME that has hired a lawyer cause I would drive the lawyer NUTS...(just like I'm doing to my friends lawyer... ha ha ha)

OOOO this is fun.... :-)

Comment

No problem honey,

I didn't take it that way at all. I was just confirming that I work for Jeffrey, so I know first-hand reasons why certain things like delays may occur.

I agree, the family law system can seem very unfair to someone going through a family law situation. But, at the same time, the other party in that same proceeding may find the family law system extremely fair We like to hear from both sides!

Lindsay

Comment

Lindsay:

When I left my husband 15 years ago, I got no support, blah blah blah, I'm sure you've read my story. Anyway so many years ago my ex said "everything goes into the pot - everything is paid out of the pot - and what is left - we split 50/50" Now... in all due respect that was fine by me then, and if I was splitting up with someone today "I" would insist on the same, we went in as partners and we split as partners. Not that we are any closer today than 15 years ago, and despite all the struggling to raise the kids on my meager wages. Today I stand on my own, my own house, my own snazzy vehicle, and if I don't like what he has to say I hang up on him... ha ha ha (oh and by the way - that's why I stay single - so NO ONE can STEAL IT FROM ME....) like my friends ex is trying to do to him and she'll probably win cause... oh yeah our courts are fair... right....

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                  Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                  Working...
                  X