Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is claiming domestic violence in a divorce 'worth' it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is claiming domestic violence in a divorce 'worth' it?

I am at the point where I am considering getting out, finally.

Only been married 3 years, but things have been getting worse in terms of general not getting along, but there has been ocassional violence. I have been pushed into walls a few times, once in a fight I called him an idiot and he pinned me to the bed by my neck, fist to my face, saying he'd kill me if I ever called him an idiot again. We stayed together, tried to make it work... then 2 nights ago we went out, came home and started fighting about stupid stuff (i.e. him not snowblowing the driveway, saying that *I* should have shoveled it myself after I'd come home from work, despite him being home all day)... anyways, he was yelling at me, I was sitting down waiting for him to shut up, and he decided to come at me, pushed me back into the wall so hard my head bounced off it, then choked me for about 10 seconds while yelling at me. Then said I'm apparently 'the reason men kill their wives then kill themselves'. Then asked me to leave the house so I 'wouldn't see what happens next'. He left the room, I heard him dragging things out of the closet, where his gun cabinet is. I called 911.

So I think I probably have enough to claim domestic violence to get the hell out of this shit sooner than waiting 1 year. But if I do claim it, am I going to have to get a lawyer, 'prove' things, fight it out and drag things out moreso than if we just go our separate ways for a year? Will it be messier and more difficult for me, I wonder?

I am HOPING I can get him to agree on a separation agreement between just us two, bring it to a lawyer and have it filed to cut down on costs, and then potentially file the divorce paperwork ourselves too. Am I crazy to think that can be done smoothly if I claim domestic violence?

Thanks in advance.

what does it matter if you wait the one year? You would have to prove domestic violence by police reports etc. Believe me the one year goes fast.

Comment

I am just hoping to get it all done and over with quickly, not have to deal with him again in a year from now. I could prove what happened Friday night as the police did come, but I don't know if it will just make it messier that way. I want things to be as quick and painless as possible, though I realize that rarely happens.

Comment

Originally posted by goosie77 View Post
        I am just hoping to get it all done and over with quickly, not have to deal with him again in a year from now. I could prove what happened Friday night as the police did come, but I don't know if it will just make it messier that way. I want things to be as quick and painless as possible, though I realize that rarely happens.
        It would be less messy to go thru the one year separation.

You use to domestic violence angle then he may try and fight you every which way he can. In fact the domestic violence thing may drag it out more. The police were there but was he arrested? Is he going to be charged and go to court?

Comment

Agree with standingonthesidelines. I'm not dismissing your assaults in any way, but you don't need them to get divorced, and the time frame really won't be any different. Because of the paperwork involved it will take a year anyway.

The positive thing about the year wait is that tempers cool (hopefully) and people move on (hopefully.)

You need to either move out immediately or get a restraining order and exclusive possession of the home immediately. As soon as you take the first step to divorce, the situation will escalate. You need to be in a safe place.

If you have no kids and you have a place to go, then the best solution is to just go. The paperwork can be sorted out later.

Filing for divorce immediately and citing abuse can give you some satisfaction that is all on the record, and that can be important. But keep in mind it will also antagonize your ex and make them even more hostile and drag things out and possibly have things become more dangerous. Only you can be the judge of which is better for you, but if it were me, I would just go and not look back.

The concept of a quicker divorce due to cited abuse has to be compared to the increased antagonisim from the ex because you are putting the issue front and centre in the divorce. It's your call, but if you want out, just get out. Let your lawyer file the papers and don't involve yourself more than you have to.

Comment

Violence is unaccceptable.

Divorce in Ontario is 'no-fault', meaning you don't need a 'reason' to divorce.

Claiming abuse won't be a factor on your divorce being granted, or in the amount of time it takes for the process to unfold.

Comment

Was he arrested/charged?

You need to plan your exit. Don't tell him you're leaving or filing for divorce. Speak to a women's shelter. Someone will be available to speak to you and help you develop a safety/exit plan. Things will absolutely escalate when he knows you are filing for divorce/speaking to lawyers.

What did the Police say? Are the weapons still in the house? By your description, he sounds like a ticking timebomb. Do not engage in arguments with him. Do not "tell him" what you are "plannng to do." Just plan it and DO it. I hope there are no children involved.

Comment

all good advice^

Keep in mind Christmas/holidays always see a rise in domestic violence.

Get through this time and make sure booze/drugs are not involved.

You can always call 911 and ask to be taken to a women's shelter for protection.

Comment

Domestic Violence : I need help. : Safety plans

Comment

Are there children involved?

Comment

There are no kids involved. I'm not going to a shelter or leaving my home, he's gone to stay at his mother's home anyways. He claimed he wasn't going for his guns, but for wrapping paper, but I heard his keys jingling. He was half in the bag at the time, now he's claiming he didn't do anything wrong... this was via text. I told him to stop contacting me.

I'm quite sure in retrospect he was trying to be dramatic and 'scare' me, he's always been the type to create drama and exaggerate everything to garner sympathy, but still, no excuse for being a jackass. The police came here and spoke to me and said they'd try to locate him, I'm not sure whether they did or not. I know he hasn't been arrested though. I didnt tell them he choked me... I didn't say yes or no when she asked me though either, I didn't want him to get arrested and have his life ruined. I still care about what happens to him, as stupid as that may sound.

Comment

Originally posted by goosie77 View Post
                        There are no kids involved. I'm not going to a shelter or leaving my home, he's gone to stay at his mother's home anyways. He claimed he wasn't going for his guns, but for wrapping paper, but I heard his keys jingling. He was half in the bag at the time, now he's claiming he didn't do anything wrong... this was via text. I told him to stop contacting me.

I'm quite sure in retrospect he was trying to be dramatic and 'scare' me, he's always been the type to create drama and exaggerate everything to garner sympathy, but still, no excuse for being a jackass. The police came here and spoke to me and said they'd try to locate him, I'm not sure whether they did or not. I know he hasn't been arrested though. I didnt tell them he choked me... I didn't say yes or no when she asked me though either, I didn't want him to get arrested and have his life ruined. I still care about what happens to him, as stupid as that may sound.
                        So are you planning on staying with him then/working things out?

Comment

My recommendation is to immediately eliminate the alcohol.
                          You might need some counselling in this area. There are many people who will help you.

Children are the priority. Make sure they are safe. If you or your partner have a drinking problem leave the kids with friends or family.

If you're living in a fog you won't be able to see the grass from the trees.

Comment

No, I am not planning on working things out. But I don't want to ruin his life just for the sake of doing so, either.

Arabian - nobody has a drinking problem. We had went out to a charity event at a bar that night and he had had a few beer. Neither of us drinks except for the occasional social event like that one.

Again, there are no kids.

Comment

To recap: You don't want to "ruin his life," but he's threatening yours.. That's kind of you to protect him like that. The next time he's choking you, you might want to re-think your position. You really should seek counseling - your self esteem has been lost.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X