Thoughts on FRO?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on FRO?

I may be owning a can of worms here, but what are your thoughts on FRO?

Does the payor decide when to pay the child support and direct it to FRO? Or are wages garnished automatically?

If the person owes retro, how likely are they to suspend driver's license, pilots license, passports, liens or hold a bank account?

And very open question, but general opinion of FRO and encounters with them?

I'm sorry! This is all new to me. I've never dealt with FRO ever before. I'm the receiver and requested an uncontested trial earlier today.

Thank you!

Being a payor since the early 2000s, and now in the process of trying to terminate my support obligations, I can't really comment, since I have NEVER been involved with them THANK GOD. I'm of the view that if you can deal with this issue directly with the other party, DO IT. Involving a 3rd party only stands to create headaches, both for the payor and the recipient. That's my honest opinion.

Comment

I'm a payer and I can tell you I have a case worker who I communicate to how I want to pay. I use online banking method and pay a couple of days before or couple of days after the 1st of each month. I could even pay in nickels and dimes everyday but as long as I have the total amount owning in the online account by the end of the month I'm good. That's really none of the recipients business tho.

They will work with us to setup a repayment plan if we fall behind. They will recommend us to go back to court and ask to lower the amount if we lose our job. They will need a courts permission to garnish our wage, bank account, and even suspend our license. We have a right to fight those in court as well. It's generally not in the best interests of the child to suspend the payers driving license, especially in or around Canadian winters.

They owed me money at one point and they cash credited me. They will try their best to stay out of court. They will however only comply with court orders. They generally don't have a good reputation and the courts often dislike them.

Comment

Thank you both for all this info. And I hope the best for you.

My payyor is trying to leave Canada. I filed for uncontested trial today. No financials, he hasn't been involved with the child, etc.

So he's cooperating as little as possible. It makes everything more difficult.

So it looks like DRO is the next step if I get my interim order. Thank you for your help with these opinions

Comment

FRO works for some but not for all. If the payor is intent on not paying there is only so much FRO can do. If the payor is going to a country with no reciprocal arrangement then you wont get anything unless he comes back. What they will do is file the order and when it gets to $3000 they start suspending his legal documents. This may include his passport which means if he comes back to Canada, he will be flagged and refused departure.

If he files a tax return for 2016 and your order is with FRO then they will garnish those dollars.

Comment

Originally posted by Bellbaby View Post
            Thank you both for all this info. And I hope the best for you.

My payyor is trying to leave Canada. I filed for uncontested trial today. No financials, he hasn't been involved with the child, etc.

So he's cooperating as little as possible. It makes everything more difficult.

So it looks like DRO is the next step if I get my interim order. Thank you for your help with these opinions

I have found FRO difficult to deal with. Maybe they are overloaded or understaffed but I often have to wait days for someone to get back to me. For example, I called them with a question 2 days ago and still have not been called back yet. I will say that it takes away the headache of trying to deal with an uncooperative ex. At least you know that someone has your back and will do something about it if they don't pay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've heard alot depends on your case worker..

Comment

They are understaffed and it does take a while to get help. The bottom line for you Bellbaby, based on your posts, is that FRO wont be a solution to your problem. Yes they do the work for you, yes they have the authority to garnish and file paperwork against licenses and passports but they are not an all powerful "blood from a stone" miracle worker. You will not get money if your ex can hide which it sounds like he is doing. If you are hoping that filing with FRO will mean a monthly CS cheque you need to keep dreaming. If he's living in Dubai with no plans to come back to Canada and doesn't file taxes then you are SOL.

This isn't meant to be mean, its simply a reality check. FROs tag line is "good parents pay". Your ex does not sound like a good parent.

Comment

Originally posted by Ange71727 View Post
                  I have found FRO difficult to deal with. Maybe they are overloaded or understaffed but I often have to wait days for someone to get back to me. For example, I called them with a question 2 days ago and still have not been called back yet. I will say that it takes away the headache of trying to deal with an uncooperative ex. At least you know that someone has your back and will do something about it if they don't pay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You may want to do a search on this forum of FRO. Many questions have been answered.

Comment

Your right rockscan.

Someone else said lawyers are for reasonable people, judges are for unreasonable ones. That's another thing I had to learn.

I've since actually spoken to his gf. And her entire family has contacted me. She says there is no way he is leaving Canada. She said she can assure me off that. So she knows something. But she also said she hasn't seen him in a year. And she said she would help, when I needed it. I was in shock. I thought she was lying at first. But since then, we resolved or issues. He lied to her and to me. I don't understand what he had to gain. But whatever. The whole situation is just weird. Not a typical divorce, fight, child support/custody situation, by any means

Comment

Make sure you have his social insurance and any and all work info. You may also need to keep updating FRO on his whereabouts if you know where he is working.

When I was a kid there was no FRO. We were obligated to search for my father and provide updates on our case file to an automated number. Nothing was ever done and I am not sure if he was ever forced to pay out of his taxes. Its not something I discuss with my father now and he knows any talk of child support or taking credit for what I have accomplished on my dime is off the table.

Comment

I was at family Court one day to get a copy of my file. So I'm sitting there. A bunch of lawyers who all knew one another were next to me. So if course I eavesdropped. They were talking about civil suits. This was all very random! I jumped in and said if someone is being sued in another court, his would I know. They said you need to know the territory they live in. Then go search the computer in the courthouse for their name. They pointed me, literally twenty feet away, to a computer. So I searched the guys name. Two results! He's being sued in both small claims and civil for not paying credit cards and a line of credit. Back to the lawyers I went. Asked them can I and how do i see the file. They said walk up to that window and give them the court number. So I did. In the file - credit card application. I got his SIN number, boss contact info, work info, most recent salary, mother's maiden name, everything.

All on a hunch. It was just so, so random.

Comment

There you go! Keep all that info handy as you will need it for your filing with FRO.

Comment

The only thing left to figure out if how to find his assets. I did a title property search so I have that. But no idea for the rest. May be a lost cause.

The way he treated me, and grim what his girlfriend told me he did to her, even her cousin told me I was the only one that could put Karma on him. They're Muslim so it was broken English...

Comment

They're Muslim so it was broken English...
                              My English is way better than yours.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X