X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Totaly lost , once again...

Hello,

I'm a single Dad, divorced since 6 yrs now. I have been looking at 2 of my 3 kids. Things were going well, after a disastrous divorce that left me completely broke and out of energy. But over those 6 yrs I got back on my feet and spend all my energy over my family…. 3 Boys together, woo Our life should be “great” …

My older son turn 16 last February, he is a “teen”, with teen come “teen problem” and for sure he went to it... not critical, but important enough to take action.

Since he got in some problems my 16 yrs old Son will like to move out of my house and go live with his mother in Quebec City…

On the other side, “my Ex” do support the decision and she plan ahead to collect more Child Support….

This situation jeopardizes my life and will devastate me financially, I can not support any other expense and I will be force to sell house to provide for the move and support of my childs.

My Question is:
    “What are my obligations toward my 16 yrs old son, that will decide to move out of my house and go live with his mother?

Any Help

Thank You

Are you in Ontario or Quebec? If the child is attending school full time you will be obligated to pay child support for him.

Comment

I am in Ontario, my son will move to Quebec qith his mother.
      Thank You

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay
        polar,

Normally, termination of child support for each/a child takes place when one of the following occurs:

(1) the child ceases to be a "child" as defined in the Divorce Act,
        (2) the child no longer resides with the custodial parent. ("Resides" includes the child living away from home for school, summer employment or vacation),
        (3) the child turns 18, unless the child is unable to become self-supporting due to illness, disability, education or other cause,
        (4) the child becomes self-supporting,
        (5) the child obtains one post-secondary degree or diploma,
        (6) the child turns X years of age (often 23 or 24 years old),
        (7) the child marries,
        (8) the child dies, or
        (9) a party dies, provided that life insurance is in place at the time of death.

Lindsay
        I'm not sure if Quebec & Ontario laws are the same, but I beleive you will have to pay child support.

Comment

Yes I assume child support will be a must until he is 18.
          If you are asking whether he is "allowed" to go, yes he is. It is his choice and there is little you can do.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X