This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sick and stressed

Hi, just wondering how to continue to cope every day without falling apart??
    I'am so negative..I have been forced to put my home up for sale. Its in such bad shape that the few offers I've had on it are far below the asking price. My ex dosen't care about anything. The last thing he said to me was he would make sure I loose everything. I feel overwhelmed, 3 years of unpaid property taxes, mortgage due in Feb., mounting lawyers bill, unpaid home insurance, unpaid car insurance, much needed home repairs. Not sure if I should move out and rent an apartment and just let the house rot. Maybe I should borrow money to fix my house and pay of some debts?? I'm exhausted to the point I can't think straight!!
    Sorry everyone, feeling very very down and out.

Separation and divorce are both emotionally and financially draining. I've been at it 3 years and I can tell you that time does heal.

Talk to your real estate agent to get an opinion on how much more your home would sell for it you completed the repairs. Also a scrub brush and can of paint can work wonders, to spruce up a home. Do you have friends, family that could pitch in free labour?

Try and keep you chin up.

Comment

sick and tired

Thanks Grace...but my house needs major repairs such as windows, plumbing, flooring, eves trough, heating, etc. I suppose I should thank my higher power for giving me the strength to finally stand up for myself. Except my short comings. I guess I can't have it all!
      You mentioned you've been in battle for three years...I commend you!!
      Where do you live?

Comment

I guess, the scrub brush and paint won't help then. Too bad your ex won't help finance some of the repairs it would be to both your advantage when it comes to getting the price you want for the home.

For me the first year and a half was a living nightmare. I did the councelling route so that really helped. Now all that's left is to divide the assets, which hopefully will be done through a trial in the Spring.

I live approx. 40 KM east of Toronto, what about you?

Remember your stronger than you think.

Comment

Grace, I have read alot of your posts and I can only hope that I will soon be in the same frame of mind as you!!
          Two years ago I discovered my husband had been living a double life under a different name...I was a mud puddle for a year. Last year around this time through counceling and the police I was able to have him removed from our home. You are right, time does heal.
          Do you own your own home, and if so do you have to sell it??
          I live just ouside of Barrie...little town called Stroud.
          My ex lives with a woman who owns a home much, much nicer then ours. He couldn't care less if or when or for how much we get for this house. He just wants to see me and his two kids end up with nothing!!
          Well, thats enough for me. Thanks Grace!

Comment

You can too be free. As long as you allow yourself to let go of the hurt, bitterness and anger. Don't let him, your hurt, or anger control your life or you will be forever in grid lock. This does take time to work through, think of it as a grieving process.

Yes, I am still in the matrimonial home, but not by choice. When my ex left, he purchased a new home for himself and his girlfriend. Then by court order all the assets were frozen (including this home) so I'm here maintaining a home that I can no longer afford. I would much prefer a smaller home with less maintenance. Hopefully our litigation will be finalized this spring, and I can move on.

Do you have a lawyer, are you at least receiving child support. You may be also entitled to spousal support.

Comment

Hi Grace. I too would prefer to live elsewhere. Too many bad memories plus my two kids ( 18 and 20 years old ) would like to live in Barrie. Better opportunitiy for jobs and closer to Georgian College. I recieve some support for my daughter. Yesterday was her last day in high school. My son is training to be a gas fitter. I feel so terrible...I was so wrong to stay in an unhappy marriage for the sake of the kids. They tell me now it would have been better to leave long ago. I hope they will be okay emotionally when they are my age!! I hope its not too late to break the chain of abuse!!
              Yes I have a lawyer...the next conference will be a settlement conference. We are just waiting for the house to sell. We have a mortgage on the house ( should be morgage free after 19 years of owning the home ) which the ex is paying. I would like to purchase a small townhouse and rent the basement out. Not sure if any equity will be left to put a down payment. Not sure if I'll qualify for a mortgage due to being self employed. Not sure if I'm entitled to spousel support. My ex makes twice as much as me, he claims I'm untruthful about my income. I have shown all my bank statements, gave a list of my clients and how much they pay me and how often I work for them. I have nothing to hide. I know he is hiding alot of his income because he travels alot and is paid a perdium in huge chunks of cash.
              Well thanks again Grace for your postive words. I hope everything works out for you too!!

Comment

Sunday,

you are right your ex should care but doesn't.

I would sell the house.

I hope your receiving tabled child support for the children and additionally perhaps spousal support.

If your ex is living commonlaw with a women, they would factor in her income when it comes to his ability to provide spousal support mainly because he current living expenses are much lower.

These are tough decisions to make but they don't get any easier by putting them off.

It is tough to start your life over, but turning a page in one's life can make a big difference in your happiness.

Comment

Thank you. My marriage was like no other. I financially, emotionally, physically etc supported my husband and two children. I put my husband through school a few years ago so he wouldn't continue going from job to job.
                  My parents also helped us for the first 15 years of our marriage.
                  I could go on and on about how much I supported my family but I don't want to sound like a martyer. I don't want to be the victim any more.
                  I'm so sad for my kids..their father never calls them...never asks if they need anything...he was away at Xmas...never got together with his kids...not even a Xmas card!!
                  Oh what have I done...what a mess. I'm so ashamed I didn't have a back bone years ago!
                  Thank you!

Comment

P.S. I'am trying to sell the house but my ex will not except an offer below the asking price. Does anyone know if I can get a court order stating my signature has the final say of the sale of the house. My lawyer says its expensive. Maybe I can get an order without my lawyer. I started this separation without a lawyer. Went to court a number of times before a judge ordered me to get a lawyer for my own protection.
                    Thank you

Comment

You can ask a court to force the sale of a home, which in your case is unnecessary as you have both agreed to sell it, but I do not believe the courts would fix a selling price.

Comment

Sunday
                        Don't be so hard on yourself-there's not a single person on this planet that doesn't have regrets. At the time, we think we're doing the right thing or at least trying to do the right thing. Sometimes it works out sometimes it doesn't. Imagine you didn't get out when you did and then, when you're 65, all funds have been sucked up by ex and then you split(regardless of who leaves). What a bind that would be. We can look back and be proud of many accomplishments, and vice -versa. We can all say...."why didn't we........"

Comment

Sunday,

It is not the past that defines who we are today or where we will go but how we react to present circumstances. LogicalVelocity advice about making decsions (taking action and not being frozen by fear) and turning a new page does bring you closer into the light.

Grace is right. Seperation/Divorce does involve a 'mourning' process. The bonds that were formed over the years now must be undone. Even though you cannot see this, the pain and all is real. Our bonding does not really happen at the physical level per say but our bonds are from soul to soul. They give us the most pain cause a soul to soul connection is all about love. It's just that our ego hides this. And letting go of love can be hard (cause that is what we are all here to experience) , but do know, that what you let go of, shall once again be replaced.

I truly believe that the harder the circumstances one faces on earth; has a direct correlation to the might you have in heaven. In other words, those that are considered to be mighty in heaven, are given the hardest and most challenging missions to do on earth. Your's and others stories make my situation seem like baby food ... I'm honoured to meet such a mature and mighty soul from above such as yours.

So Sunday, remember who you really are.

Hubby

Comment

Hubby, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You for your kind words!!!

Comment

God Knows the Truth, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You for your kind words!!!

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X