condo / seperation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by abu View Post
    agree , but now the kids are bigger and they had a 5years of "stability" if "something happens" now it will not affect them as much as it would before ...
    were you just waiting till now so you had some status quo with the 50/50? Were you worried that if you forced the sale of the house 6 months after separation that she would have said the deal was off and fought you?

I am just trying to figure out what your thinking was.

Comment

Originally posted by standing on the sidelines View Post
      i know you are looking for advice but I find that when people are looking for advice they are more likely have made a decision but just want some conformation that it is the right one.

What direction are you leaning towards.

by the way forcing the issue may have opened a can of worms but all you have done is delayed the opening till now.

honestly I did not make any decision , and I have a mixed feeling about it

Comment

Originally posted by standing on the sidelines View Post
        were you just waiting till now so you had some status quo with the 50/50? Were you worried that if you forced the sale of the house 6 months after separation that she would have said the deal was off and fought you?

I am just trying to figure out what your thinking was.

in part , also didn't want to "fight" because the stress to kids ... it was their home (stress for them of loosing it , with all the "poo" going around) ... and some other things ...

Comment

You are entitled to equalization of the property at your seperation date, regardless of how long it has been.

Claim for occupational rent needs to be made within a reasonable time frame, case law sets that at 3 to 6 months. At most, you could ask for interest on your portion of the ewualization.

Comment

What happens if you settle all the financial details a 6-18 months after separation (which I think is a reasonalbe time frame) and there have been big swings in real estate values higher or lower, do you still use the date of separation? It would seem unfair to one party or the other, either making one party take a big loss or a big gain, instead of sharing that loss or gain equally when it is still wihtin a reasonable amount of time to settle.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X