Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grandparents Vacation

Hey all,

Having a little problem I was hoping someone could shed some light on.

Her parents would like to take our son on a vacation, its still in country but across the coast. I have agreed to this vacation, I dont have a problem with going and I think it would be good for him to go.

However shes adamant I need to sign a form in a lawyers office and have it notarized, however;

1) I have never recieved an itinerary or a contact number as to where the child will be staying
    2)If Ive already agreed do I really need to sign a form? I thought mutual agreement trumped all court orders....and Im not saying he cant go.

Largely I dont want to sign this form because I dont want to have to pay any money for it, I think the fact Ive agreed (written agreement) is enough.

Can anyone help shed some light on this?

Thanks in advance,

If you are flying (even domestic), safer to get notarised consent form. My sister learned this the hard way.

If she wants it notarized, she can pay for it.

Comment

Originally posted by dinkyface View Post
      If you are flying (even domestic), safer to get notarised consent form. My sister learned this the hard way.

If she wants it notarized, she can pay for it.
      plus I would tell your ex that you will do it done once you get the itinerary and contact numbers.

Comment

The form contains those details.
        If they are flying, better have it, it's everyone's interest. You don't want to get a call from the airport that you need to pick up the kid and then spend a week with comforting a crying kid.
        It is not needed to be notarized, but it is better that way. Notarizing cost maybe $40. Take it as a contribution to your kid's vacation. It is pointless to be difficult over that.

Comment

She can pay to have it notarized, or I believe you may be able to get it done at the courthouse for free.

Comment

Okay thanks for the replys,

So if I just fill out the form, sign it and send it to her she can do the rest?

Shes absolutely adamant I have to sign this in a lawyers office (I think because then Ill have to pick up the bill before I leave).

Ive already offered to fill out the form, send it to her, and then she can get it notarized if she wants, I really dont want to take time out of my day to actually make an appointment and go do this when I believe if she wants it notarized, she can do it.

Is this being unfair?

Comment

Originally posted by NeverGreen View Post
              Okay thanks for the replys,

So if I just fill out the form, sign it and send it to her she can do the rest?

Shes absolutely adamant I have to sign this in a lawyers office (I think because then Ill have to pick up the bill before I leave).

Ive already offered to fill out the form, send it to her, and then she can get it notarized if she wants, I really dont want to take time out of my day to actually make an appointment and go do this when I believe if she wants it notarized, she can do it.

Is this being unfair?
              I think if you have to be there and sign in front of the person so they can verify that you signed it. I may be wrong.

Comment

Notarizing is verifying that you signed, so you have to be present. Doesn't have to be a lawyer - look for a 'notary public' and shop around for best rate. Check if caa offers service at a discount. ... Or as blink says, at courthouse for free?

Comment

You must sign the letter in front of the notary or a commissioner of oaths. Most court houses have commissioners that may do this service for you. All lawyers are by default notaries.

Some law firms offer free notarizing services as a public service. I know my last law firm does. Call around and find out if any local law firms provide notarization a free service. You may get lucky. Failing that, see if you can get over to your local court house and get Duty Counsel to assist.

Comment

In our paperwork the that needs the form pays the cost. No of you needed one from her you would pay. Maybe propose that to her.

Comment

I used to get the travel consents done at the MPs office free of charge. You will both have to go in, not together, and make the declaration in front of the commissioner of oaths there.

Also, the form that is completed requires itinerary - ie, dates, locations, contact information of the resort/home, etc.

Without knowing where the kids are going and when, how can you provide any informed consent?

I would simply reply that you cannot provide her a notarized document of consent without the details of the trip.

Comment

commissioner for oaths would do the trick, notarizing it is overkill

Comment

Thanks guys I love this site and I appreciate the advice,

So heres where Im at;

Ive offered to print a letter I found on a government website (sample form for consent to travel) fill it out, sign it, notarize it, and give it to her.

Shes still got a problem with this....

Shes saying we both have to go in to the same lawyer and both of us have to notarize this letter.

Ive been advised if I provide a notarized letter to her that this would be enough,

Is this correct? Or should I be going to see her lawyer? I dont understand why she would need her signature notarized as its proof that I signed it.

Thanks again,

Comment

Is she going with the grandparents?? if not then she may have to provide a letter also and wants you to suck up the costs but attach her name to your letter instead of having her own.

Comment

Originally posted by NeverGreen View Post
                              Thanks guys I love this site and I appreciate the advice,

So heres where Im at;

Ive offered to print a letter I found on a government website (sample form for consent to travel) fill it out, sign it, notarize it, and give it to her.

Shes still got a problem with this....

Shes saying we both have to go in to the same lawyer and both of us have to notarize this letter.

Ive been advised if I provide a notarized letter to her that this would be enough,

Is this correct? Or should I be going to see her lawyer? I dont understand why she would need her signature notarized as its proof that I signed it.

Thanks again,
                              She is wrong.

I take it she isn't going with the grandparents either and is doing a consent letter as well. She is probably reading that each parent should sign the letter when the kids travel with a non-parent. Two letters (one from each of you) is just as effective as 1 letter from both of you. Yeah, it may mean more paper for the grandparents, but oh well......

If she is going than you don't need her signature at all. All that is required is a letter from you.

On the other hand, if she wants to go through the rigamarole of getting her lawyer to prepare the letter and you just have to show up and sign it, that may be easier and cheaper for you.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X