X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R. v. Elliott, 2016 ONCJ 35

R. v. Elliott, 2016 ONCJ 35 (CanLII)
    Date: 2016-01-22
    Citation: R. v. Elliott, 2016 ONCJ 35 (CanLII), CanLII - 2016 ONCJ 35 (CanLII)

Gregory Alan Elliott not guilty in Twitter harassment case
    Gregory Alan Elliott not guilty in Twitter harassment case - Toronto - CBC News

A man charged with criminal harassment over his dealings on Twitter with two Toronto women's rights activists has been found not guilty — ending a trial that is expected to set a precedent for cases of online harassment.

Gregory Alan Elliott was accused of harassing Stephanie Guthrie and Heather Reilly over several months in 2012.

Guthrie and Reilly said they feared for their safety, testifying during the trial at the Ontario Court of Justice that they believed Elliott kept tabs on them and their whereabouts through social media, even after they blocked his account.

There were rumblings in the courtroom as Judge Brent Knazan read his decision. Supporters for both sides filled the benches, with some even sitting on the floor.

In his tweets, Elliott was largely explaining himself and furthering his views "however offensive or wrong they may be," the judge said, while recognizing the language could be "vulgar and sometimes obscene."

The charges were dismissed.

I actually wasted time reading part of this decision, its pretty much false accusations but there is so much noise that it takes time to get there.

I found the women who filed the harassment charge were worse than the defendant.... They were making false allegations he was sexually assaulting 13 yr old girls or something....

Pretty ridiculous....

Comment

Originally posted by Links17 View Post
      Pretty ridiculous....
      It is... The whole thing does shed light on the extreme nonsense "gender war" going on in social media.

Comment

Tremendous waste of court resources IMO. However, I guess with social media being so popular nowadays a case like this was to be expected sooner or later.

(I wonder what one has to do, or hold which credentials, to be considered an "expert in twitter"?) LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Tayken View Post
          It is... The whole thing does shed light on the extreme nonsense "gender war" going on in social media.
          What happened to that whole the moon is made out of spare ribs?

Comment

Originally posted by Links17 View Post
            What happened to that whole the moon is made out of spare ribs?
            I posted the case law that goes with the article. Still waiting...

If the moon was made of spare ribs would you eat it?

Comment

I posted my 2 case - or are you referring to a specific case I used?

Unfortunately, you can't have your moon and eat it too..

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
              Working...
              X