This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X Lawyer calling to tell me Late Response to Motion to Change

My X's lawyer just called me 1 day before the 30 days end to file her Response to Motion to Change and tells me that my X just retained her and there is no way she will be able to file the Response.

What are my options? Can I not go ahead with my Motion to Change? She had 30 days to find a lawyer and get a response in.

Advice please.

Just to clarify. My X's Lawyer called me. This lawyer has never been my lawyer. I am self-represented.

Comment

Your X cant retain your lawyer. If this lawyer represented you its a "Conflict of Interest".

You can have the motion adjourned.

Or do you mean a Notice of Change of Representation?

Comment

Clarify my question. My X wife's lawyer just called me one day before her response is due. I consider this unfair and I expect that my X needs to request an extension. What are my options? Can I go ahead with my motion due to her failure to provide me with a response within the 30days deadline?

Question is about Late response to my motion to change.

Comment

They can ask for an extension or ask the court to allow a late responce. chances are they will give it to them. You go to court as scheduled.

Comment

I understand that it is frustrating to deal with someone who is being passive aggressive (my ex in a nutshell) but you do not want to be perceived as being uncoorperative by a judge; so cooperate with your ex as much as possible; I coorperated for 2 years with my ex; first it was lets try mediation - 6 months later my ex backed out of the agreement; then she got a lawyer; stalled the process again by wasting time and money on her feelings about things rather than the issues that needed to be ironed out; finally I had enough and decided that going to court was my only option to move things forward; filed all the paperwork and then received a request for an extension which I granted because really this was going to happen whether she liked it or not; after the first and only court appearance my ex's lawyer calls me up to negotiate the terms of the agreement. Within a short period of time it was all done and signed off on; stay focused on the end result; thats what got me through alot of crap; I have become an expert at dealing with a passive agressive personality since a finalized agreement was only the beginning if you have kids together; good luck

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X