This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preparing to Separate......Can. Law

Hi. My husband and I plan to split up next summer. Is there anything I should be thinking about and probably doing now in preparation? (i.e. Someone suggested that I should make sure that I know his SIN number which was something I certainly hadn't thought of...)

Also, does anyone know of any messageboards that deal more with Canadian Law?

And......does anyone know if it is legal to draw up your own separation agreement and just get it notarized? Are there perhaps sample separation agreements online that you could use as a guideline to follow to make your own?

Thank you for any advice you can offer.
    Marie

Probably the main thing that i would suggest it to make sure that you two really want/need to split up especially if there are children involved.

Comment

I thought this was a canadian forum?

I agree with Sigrent though.. With children involved your feelings and needs as well as your partners need to take a backseat. Only as an absolute last resort should you get a divorce if children are involved.

That being said, I would suggest seeking legal advice. Too much risk in trying to draw up your own seperation and divorce documents. It could really cause you issues down the road. Especially with children down the road. Not worth the risk in my opinion.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

Re children - Thankfully, we have no small children. (The youngest is just finishing high school.)

I agree......I really do need to speak with a lawyer. I have never spoken with one in my life, and am wondering how much I can expect to pay. Perhaps I will start a new thread re what to expect in that department. Tx. again.

Comment

When the time comes and if a separation agreement is drafted up and signed, one of the requirements to make a separation agreement legal and binding is that each party gives full and frank fiinancial disclosure to the other party which would include all assests and liabilities. It could also include last 3 years income tax returns etc.

I believe Jeff offers a service for separation agreements and his charges are reasonable.

Comment

Something I didn't notice on first pass is why are you guys waiting until the summer to split up?

If you both want to split up, why are you waiting?

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X