X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matrimonial home question

Morning everyone,

A quick question....

Long story short, I bought my ex out of the matrimonial home. A painful process but I figured it best for the kids as its in the school district. The idea being, the dust will settle, everyone regroups and move on.

Here's the question/comment cash has been paid.....title changed, mortgager changed etc etc. however the ex still thinks she needs a key to have access to the house. I know it sounds crazy....I've explained it's not happening and of course she threatens to call the police if I don't come up with one....yikes don't need that. Does she have any rights at all once the above is all completed?

This doesn't sem rational

I suspect, unfortunately, I'll have to get my lawyer involved again....

Any comments...they would be appreciated

Thanks in advance,

morning

I'd simply change the locks. Let her call the police. Do you give everyone you know a key to your house? IF you have kids make sure they don't give her a key or let her copy one.

If you think she will try to gain entry then look into a monitored security system. You will get a deduction on your house insurance. The good thing about a security system is that each person in your house can have their own access code. I used to have one and it was excellent at time of separation. I had a friend who used to visit from out-of-town. All entry/departures are recorded. Some parents find it handy to monitor their kids this waiy as well. Certainly cheaper than a lawyer.

Comment

tell her to call the police if she wants. They will tell her that its not her place therefore if you don't want to give her a key, you are not legally obliged to in any way. Get a copy of the police report in case you need it for future stuff to show how unreasonable she has been.

Comment

don't give her a key, simply change the locks. No worries, she'll look ridiculous to police.

Sent from my SGH-I717D using Tapatalk

Comment

No, she has no right. You've told her your stance, simply say no and ignore all further requests/demands until she takes further steps, either calling the police or taking you to court.

Comment

It is no longer the matrimonial home, it is your home. She doesn't reside there and is no longer on title. She has been compensated for her selling her interest to you.

She has no right to enter the house without your permission. Would she have the same stance that she could come and go in the house if it was sold to a complete stranger? Or if the house was sold and you purchased another one in another area?

Ask if you can have a key to her house and see how she reacts.... I suspect she will rebuff the idea. Then ask why she should have one to your house? Then tell her to get bent.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X