Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Region and lawyer rate

Hi all,

just curious to get to know statistics about legal fee rates across Canada. If you don't mind, could you write how much your lawyer charges and the province/city you come from.

Thanks for responses,

A

In Toronto, I think the rate is about $400-600
    In GTA I think the rate is about $250-500
    In KW, probably about $250-400 would be my guess
    Regardless of location, they are worth about $100/hour, so they are overpriced everywhere.

These are wild off-the-top-of-my-head figures

Comment

$300/hr in Edmonton, back in 2011/2012

Comment

My lawyer is in Fergus (about 30 minutes to KW) and he charges $240 an hour. More importantly, he doesn't try to get you into court to rack the bills up. He told me my settlement wouldn't be worth the court battle, and he's pointed me to some online resources so I can do my own research.

His name is Christopher Unruh. chris@ferguslaw.ca

Comment

I personally think that biggest money is spent on a) lawyers writing letters back and forth; b) 4 way meetings and finally the biggest - c) case conferences. In my situation (no child custody issues) going to court on motion was cheapest... If you think about it, most motions are over and done with very quickly so you're in and out of the courtroom sometimes in under 1/2 hour.

Comment

I made money off lawyers... you need to exploit them for their insurance policy. If they make certain mistakes you can cash in.

Comment

$125 - $350 in smaller cities.

$350 - $500 in GTA

$350 - $600 in Toronto

You must be nuts to pay a lawyer $700 an hour to do anything.

And don't be surprised if you find out your lawyer has been charging you an hour to pour him/her self a coffee and 2 hours to wipe his/her a$$ a couple times a week
              Last edited by trinton; 01-20-2017, 01:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by trinton View Post
                $350 - $600 in Toronto
                350-800 is more appropriate for the Brampton, Milton, Toronto, and Durham court houses.

5% (dedicated top family law lawyers) 800 (barristers)
                20% (good dedicated family law lawyers) 600 (barristers)
                75% (mixed practice (criminal/real estate) family law partial practice) 350 (solicitors)

Key point is only 5% of cases need the 5%ers... (Mobility, material change, false allegations.) 20% are needed when there are complex financial situations and 75% are needed and mostly settlement focused.

Good Luck!
                Tayken

Comment

Originally posted by Tayken View Post
                  350-800 is more appropriate for the Brampton, Milton, Toronto, and Durham court houses.

5% (dedicated top family law lawyers) 800 (barristers)
                  20% (good dedicated family law lawyers) 600 (barristers)
                  75% (mixed practice (criminal/real estate) family law partial practice) 350 (solicitors)

Key point is only 5% of cases need the 5%ers... (Mobility, material change, false allegations.) 20% are needed when there are complex financial situations and 75% are needed and mostly settlement focused.

Good Luck!
                  Tayken
                  I think a "dedicated top family law lawyer" should be settelment focused as well. A good lawyer is one that can settle the matter out of court, by one or two phone calls. I know that rarely ever happens but good lawyers know how to get the other side to settle out of court.

Comment

Originally posted by trinton View Post
                    I think a "dedicated top family law lawyer" should be settelment focused as well. A good lawyer is one that can settle the matter out of court, by one or two phone calls. I know that rarely ever happens but good lawyers know how to get the other side to settle out of court.
                    It takes two parties to settle a matter. So, if the other party in the matter is unwilling to settle no matter how good the lawyer is... they can't settle the matter. A lawyer only represents ONE party in the matter. So it is a pipe dream to think a "good lawyer is one that can settle the matter out of court, by one or two phone calls".

Let's take your matter as an example. You want 50-50 the other parent does not want that. It takes two reasonable LITIGANTS to settle a matter. If you don't have that... The lawyer can be the very best but, you will never get what you expect.

Lawyers have NO CONTROL over the other party in the matter. They just have control (and often they don't really) over their client. Ultimately, the parties in the matter have all the control in the matter. Lawyers facilitate things but, they do as their clients want.

Settlement has nothing to do with a "good lawyer" often. It has to do with "good clients". Settlement is all about compromise on the part of both parties and something called "maturity".

For example... WD can never settle his matter no matter how "good" of a lawyer he retains.

95% of matters that go to court should settle out of court but, one (or both) of the parties are unable to or unwilling to settle. Only 5% of family law matters should ever see an actual court room.

Good Luck!
                    Tayken
                    Last edited by Tayken; 01-20-2017, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                    Working...
                    X