Non divorce question -spouse dies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non divorce question -spouse dies

If married couple in Ontario have both their names on the title to the matrimonial home, and one spouse dies, how does the surviving spouse (who is the executioner in the last will) sell the matrimonial home? I called the city land registry office and they said to see a lawyer. It probably involves producing a will and death certificate but want to be sure.

TX.
    Last edited by DeadBeatDouchebagDad; 01-20-2014, 11:37 AM. Reason: Ontario

Originally posted by DeadBeatDouchebagDad View Post
    If married couple in Ontario have both their names on the title to the matrimonial home, and one spouse dies, how does the surviving spouse (who is the executioner in the last will) sell the matrimonial home? I called the city land registry office and they said to see a lawyer. It probably involves producing a will and death certificate but want to be sure.

TX.
    My understanding, and my experience is limited to a parent dying, is that the estate would have to be settled first. Is there a will? Are there debts owning? All that has to be worked out. So yes, going to a lawyer is necessary.

Comment

If house is owned in both names, as joint tenants, surviving spouse visits lawyer, produces death certificate only, signs and registers a Survivorship Application and title is transferred to survivor alone. Survivor deals with house. [p.s. I think you mean "executor" and not "executioner". ]

If house is owned in both names, as tenants in common, surviving spouse visits lawyer, with will and death certificate. 50% interest of deceased is dealt with pursuant to the will.
      Start a discussion, not a fire. Post with kindness.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadBeatDouchebagDad View Post
        If married couple in Ontario have both their names on the title to the matrimonial home, and one spouse dies, how does the surviving spouse (who is the executioner in the last will) sell the matrimonial home?...
        Are you planning on knocking-off the other spouse?

Comment

Originally posted by dad2bandm View Post
          Ahahahahha....I guess it's just a hypothetical question. The OP has to hope though that nothing goes and happen to an ex, and then this thread surfaces, it will be like a GRENADE just went off

Comment

Originally posted by dad2bandm View Post
            My apologies to the OP. I re-read this, and I meant this to be tongue-in-cheek, given it's a "divorce" forum, and missed the "non-divorce" label.

Comment

Sorry; the spouse is the executor; natural causes the executioner.

There's a will, no debts, spouse wants to sell the house. Looks like Survivorship Application would be the form to fill out.

2000-6 Estate Documents - Ontario.ca

Thanks for replies.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
              Working...
              X