Part time work vs full time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Part time work vs full time

So - Ex has an MBA in International Finance (but no designation CPA etc). She is currently teaching finance subjects between 10-12hrs a week (depending on enrollment) at a local college. Makes about 55K/yr.
    If there is an opportunity for her to work full time (36-40hrs/week) and make between 55-65K, would the courts urge that? Or would they feel that since she is making essentially that much now - there is no onus on her to get full time for the same pay?
    My concern is that if enrollment drops and she can only work say 8-10 hrs a week then that of course reduces her annual income. Our SS review is set for next year. If I can identify areas/jobs that she could have taken yet felt they were essentially the same pay and just more hours - will the courts view this as a good thing or bad?

I wouldn't work for same pay for more hours would you? Sounds like she has a good thing going for her.

Perhaps gather information on what someone with her qualifications would make with full-time employment? Emphasize that she "chooses" to work only part-time?

You must be coming to the end of SS soon no? Didn't you negotiate a 10-year deal?

Comment

Oh I understand why work more hours for the same money - I guess I don't want to be on the hook if her income drops because her hours are cut because of a diminished enrollment - when she has the opportunity to have a regular and secure wage rather than one that fluctuates with the class size/enrollment.

Separated in Fall of 2011. Started paying SS essentially right away. Review date is set....just starting to get as any ducks in a row beforehand.

Comment

She has an MBA in International Finance? She should be able to make significantly more than 55K per year.

Comment

Yup...but she really has no reason to seek f/t work seeing the amount of monies i provide....and her excuse is she can't get hired anywhere because she doesn't have a designation
          It's been a fun time the last five years...she works 10-12 hrs a week...takes a couple southern vacations a year...buys a new car...but alas can't work.
          Sorry - still some sour grapes it seems....LOL...

Comment

Thought she had a MBA?

Comment

Yep - but getting an MBA from Clemson - does not provide her with a designation. That's something separate

Comment

2 kids, home-based business + part-time job earning 55k - she certainly does not come off to me as a slacker. Wish I could work 10-12 hrs/week for 55k.

On the other hand, it sounds as though she is self-sufficient and, combined with CS, should be able to make ends meet. I'd recommend proposing a tapered off SS over next 3 years (or whatever equals .5 of SS for duration of marriage).

Comment

Her home based business (mentioned in very early posts by me and not this thread) is defunct according to her. If she has continued - it is without my knowledge. I will give her the benefit of the doubt and say it is completely defunct.
                  I guess I take a bit of an issue with the word slacker.

I have two kids as well....work full time...hope I get overtime to meet the imputed wage I was assessed and have made my required payments for the past 5 years.

It isn't as though she is a person who was married to right out of high school and has no education or marketable skills. At some point the requirement for self-sufficiency on her end HAS to come into effect. For the past 5 years, I have provided her finances to assist with her multiple trips and purchases and I would suggest it has provided an adequate amount of time for her to transition to become as financially responsible for the children and herself as I have been.
                  Its a great gig for sure...but until she is told by the courts - she will not do one thing more than she has to...and why would she?

Comment

So you put in an application to end SS or taper down to an end date.

Then it is up to her whether or not she feels the need to get a full-time job or a part-time job to supplement her current earnings.

If she only works 10-12 hrs/week she also has ample time to get a "designation" online and out of her home.

Comment

So she makes 55k working 10-12hrs per week. That's great!

What does she do with the other 28 hours per week the average person spends working? It doesn't seem like she is earning to her potential. Shouldn't she find another part time job and make more money?

Even working 28 hrs per week at minimum wage, to add up to the normal 40 hrs the majority work, would add about $16,000 to her yearly income. Could she not have more income imputed on her? It seems to me she is underemployed at 12 hrs per week.

This is just an opinion. I have no experience with imputing income, though I should soon.

Comment

Imputing wage seems to be easier to be done on men in court (certainly when I review CanLii cases)
                        What does she do with her off time? Good question. She certainly creates a lot of lengthy emails to me discussing my shortcomings, my faults, where I have let my children down, where I have not supported her, where any court action I may try to undertake will only result in tension and stress on the children.
                        Yet - she does not try to provide emails or solutions to our issues that could preclude us from court. But then that would be seen as trying to move on.
                        Again - why would she offer to change anything that would result in less money for her and less time with the children for her?

Comment

Imputing income is not an easy feat in many circumstances. You have to show a historical pattern of earning more income in the past (corroborated). You have to also show that the individual possesses the experience and qualifications to earn a specific range of money in the location that they now reside in. You have to steer away from any speculative information and deal with the here and now facts.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                          Working...
                          X