Representing yourself reducing SS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Representing yourself reducing SS

Has anyone made the attempt in getting the proper forms to reduce SS and representing yourself? I'm sure it's probably wise to have your lawyer with you although it's the cost of having him there. I'm sure the percentages are real low in succeeding lowering SS or having a judge grant a step down SS, when attempting it on your own? Any advice to this would be appreciated.

I've read many cases on CanLii where self-represented people were successful in reducing and eliminating SS. IT's a case-by-case situation.

The biggest hurdle at the start is to prove a "material change of circumstance." My advice is to do plenty of reading on that specifically then go from there.

Comment

Just wonder what is SS mean. I am new to this forum. And like to share experiences.

Comment

Any one may tell me how to post my question?
        Can not wait to ask any one has experienced Mr.Cecil lyon? Please share if you know any.

Comment

bestformykid - if you look near the top of your screen you will see

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums>Main Category If you click on "main category" you can go to the heading for new posters. That way you will learn how and where to best post your question.

Comment

Originally posted by Baffled_Dad View Post
            Has anyone made the attempt in getting the proper forms to reduce SS and representing yourself? I'm sure it's probably wise to have your lawyer with you although it's the cost of having him there. I'm sure the percentages are real low in succeeding lowering SS or having a judge grant a step down SS, when attempting it on your own? Any advice to this would be appreciated.
            Umm, its super contextual. You need to give more details. I've studied the issue somewhat and yes, its fairly difficult I would say.

Comment

Originally posted by Baffled_Dad View Post
              Do you have a review date written into your agreement? Was there an expectation that your spouse become self sufficient by a certain date? Is the spousal support compensatory or non-compensatory? How long were you married? Has your ex repartnered?
              There are many variables that affect the outcome of trying to change SS, regardless of whether you self-rep or lawyer-up.

Comment

thank you arabian

Comment

Originally posted by nogoingback View Post
                  Do you have a review date written into your agreement? Was there an expectation that your spouse become self sufficient by a certain date? Is the spousal support compensatory or non-compensatory? How long were you married? Has your ex repartnered?
                  There are many variables that affect the outcome of trying to change SS, regardless of whether you self-rep or lawyer-up.
                  My lawyer said I didn't need a review date. He said we can do it close to the half way point unless she repartners, wages increase, and a few others he mentioned.I was married 161/2 years. It doesn't say anywhere in the minutes of settlement or final order wether it was compensatory or non-compensentory. No she hasn't partnered. They run the other way..lol! I've given her almost 70%of the assets and bought her out of my pension included and she's received up to date in support payment of almost $150k her part of the assets totalled another $130K and paid vehicle. She made out pretty good. When is enough....enough?!
                  She also Has a $20/hr job with a vested pension.

Comment

How long has it been?

What was your family income at the time of marriage?

What was her role/sacrifice during the marriage?

What is the custody arrangement?

What was her income at seperation time?

How much are you paying now?

What was her career path before the marriage?

Comment

Any major health concerns (before, during and after marriage ended)?

Comment

Originally posted by Links17 View Post
                        How long has it been?

What was your family income at the time of marriage?

What was her role/sacrifice during the marriage?

What is the custody arrangement?

What was her income at seperation time?

How much are you paying now?

What was her career path before the marriage?
                        It's been almost 5 1/2 years.
                        Income based on $93,600 me, $33,000 her but that's not her true income based on her working a 40 hr work week. Her income should be $40 - $42K
                        Her role was a mother and a housewife working part time and full time 3 years before separation.
                        Joint custody at the time of separation for a 19 year old whose mow 24 and a 16 year old whose now 21. I pay no CS. All done!
                        I pay SS of $ $346/week, $1500/month, $18000/year
                        She is a unionized factory worker.

Comment

Originally posted by arabian View Post
                          Any major health concerns (before, during and after marriage ended)?
                          She psychotic! Lol!
                          She got into a car accident in 2000 and had a C2C3 fusion but recovered and runs 5k-10k marathons as well as works out 4-6 a week and teaches aerobic
                          Really no major health concerns. She's very able bodied. I know she'd suffer headaches from time to time.
                          I suffer from PVC's, daily, and on going knee problems but I still go to work and function every day.

Comment

How many years were you married?

Do you exchange financials (NOA's) every year?

Was there no end-date or mention of material change of circumstances or retirement in the separation agreement?

A change of material circumstance could be that there are no longer children of the marriage (when was that).

Comment

Originally posted by arabian View Post
                              How many years were you married?

Do you exchange financials (NOA's) every year?

Was there no end-date or mention of material change of circumstances or retirement in the separation agreement?

A change of material circumstance could be that there are no longer children of the marriage (when was that).
                              16 1/2 years married
                              Yes we're supposed to every year as per agreement but she hasn't produced hers. I asked but she never shows me. Mine are always ready in a file folder. I download them off CRA with the basic info.
                              No end date. I asked my lawyer for one but he said it will hard to get one. I do have change of circumstance. She was bought out of my retirement.
                              2013 was when I got a summary judgement to end child support.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X