Forged Signature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forged Signature

Upon receiving documents from my exs lawyer, I found a document that has my signature but was not signed by me.
    I called my ex and he admitted to signing it.

I emailed the lawyer to advise that this was not my signature and that her client admitted to me that he signed my signature.

(It was for the sale of a vehicle that was in both our names)

What do I do now? Does this affect our case?

Forging a signature is clearly a criminal act of fraud. However ....

The vehicle is now sold.

Did you suffer any financial damages because of this? If yes, then you could seek compensation in small claims court.

In family court, there will be no issue - except to possibly split the proceeds of sale (or trade for some other asset) as part of equalization of assets. Are there other assets that you are concerned might be liquidated by forging your signature?

Possibly, if your ex is behaving fraudulently in other matters, you can use this to help establish their lack of credibility and honesty i.e. to back up YOUR version of reality.
    Last edited by dinkyface; 05-13-2014, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Stop caring about things that don't matter and get divorced.

Comment

Don't really know your case but I realize its not for forging a signiture to sell a car, You recieved information on dividing up assests and the ex was honest on what he did is what I gather.

As a married couple did you give implied consent to do things of this nature, like over the phone, or maybe had a local car dealer friend that did this a few times?

There is no Order in place by the sounds of it.

Is it both your intentions to sell the car? Your obviously going to get your share of the car monies the other party isn't hiding anything.

make sure you separate everything you have "jointly" there's a grey area on everything from health plans to bank accounts to credit cards, and life insurance until a Separation Agreement is made and your Divorced.

Comment

as long as the car was sold for a fair price, I wouldn't worry. Now if he sold a car worth 50k for 2k then I would pursue it.

Comment

Sorry, this does matter to me.

Comment

What would you LIKE to happen, and how will that affect/benefit you long-term?

Comment

Originally posted by chapter2 View Post
                Sorry, this does matter to me.
                It may matter to you but it may not matter to a Judge in the grand scheme of things. One thing you will learn about separation and divorce is that sometimes your feeling are irrelevant.

As long as the asset was accounted for, it doesn't matter. It will basically be a he said she said. He can argue you gave him verbal consent and you can argue you didn't. As was stated, unless he drastically under sold the car or is selling off all the assets without your consent, it wouldn't be worth your time.

That being said... what are you hoping happens?

Comment

My ex did some big-time fraudulent things (with our business assets) shortly after we were separated. After a thorough investigation, he was charged with fraud over 5,000.00 by the police. 6 months after that the matter was dismissed because the crown prosecutor shrugged it off as a "divorce matter to be dealt with in family court." Meanwhile I was out significant amount of money. What happened in the end? Not a thing. Affect his credibility? I have my doubts. Without charges it lacked substance.

Divorce is just a numbers game. Like others have said before on this thread, it will merely be calculated in the end.

Comment

My ex forged my initials on changes in our divorce order, before it went to a judge. I was not happy about that. However, the changes he made did not have a material effect on the disposition of the order, so there wasn't anything I could do other than send him an email telling him that I was aware of the changes he made and that this was fraudulent. I suggest you do the same - note that you are aware of this forged signature, and the move on, as you haven't suffered any damages because of it.

Comment

Thanks for the input everyone. This whole process has def educated me on the game of divorce.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                      Working...
                      X