whats wrong here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whats wrong here?

Looking at the cosby all these organizations are throwing him out just on the basis of allegations?

Target removed GT5, not because of anything except violence against women....

Just shows how groups organizations value their reputations over what is fair, right or correct but instead it is mob rule now.

no comment on the Cosby scandal.

Violence against women is wrong. So glad that these organizations value morality in a world obsessed with ecomomic gain.

You missed the story of the public health nurse and her two sons that were murdered because of the above noted violence.

She left him and went to a shelter. In family court she lost trying to get interim custody of her kids.

Now that's something to complain about. Poor lady and her kids lost their lives over domestic violence.

Comment

I dont disagree it isnt a problem why is that the only issue found weighty enough to get the game banned? The only conclusion can be more about how it looks rather than if its wrong

Comment

Really??? Are we that desensitized as a society?

So you're upset over a damn video game?

You know what makes me upset. Jerks make me upset.

Jerks that abuse their wives and then go on to abuse the family court system.

Ever stop and ask why some women dont report violence. I'm willing to bet that nobody will believe them. Look at whats happening in the news.......
        Last edited by wantmyfreedom; 12-04-2014, 06:54 PM.

Comment

I am upset that despite the game portraying every single crime over 5 iterations it was only when the "violence against women" card was played that it was banned.

Comment

Card? Domestic violence is the worst crime of crimes and it cripples every aspect of society.

It cripples every social program here in Canada. Our taxes.

Then again it takes intellect to grasp that.

Comment

Looking at the cosby all these organizations are throwing him out just on the basis of allegations?
              I think if it was just one, two, five allegations...its one thing. There's no doubt that it may be driven by a money motive and that Cosby deserves to be presumed innocent until proven otherwise.

I just find it hard to fathom the number of women that are coming forward with credible, similar stories.

However, everyone deserves their day in court and its a great shame that these women didn't come forward a lot sooner if these allegations are true. They could have potentially saved another person from having been mistreated.

Comment

Violence against women is an excellent reason to ban a video game, so I'm not sure what the OP's point is here. Saying "well, the game shows other crimes and that didn't get it banned" is a logical fallacy - just because robbery and arson were considered okay by WalMart doesn't mean that violence against women must therefore also be okay.

And as for the Cosby case - it's not a few disgruntled accusers, it's dozens of women going back decades, many of whom are very bravely going on record and many of whom have nothing to gain and a lot to lose by coming forward (Bill Cosby is a powerhouse in American television). And it sounds like this was a poorly kept secret. I would be utterly amazed if all of these women were lying. It's unfolding very much like our own Jian Ghomeshi

If I were a "men's rights" activist, which I am not, my first order of business would be to deal with men like this, who give the whole gender a bad name.

Comment

The only thing I've read about Cosby is headlines on Huffington Post. I'm intentionally not reading anything so that if trial goes on TV, I can try to position myself as a juror and make my mind up as facts are presented. I wish I had done this with some of the other headliner trials over the past 4-5 years.

One problem with this is that I'll have to subscribe to cable TV again. When I moved months ago I didn't get cable hooked up as fibre optic wasn't available in my area. It was a bit of a drag not listening to the news every night and missing some fav shows but I've discovered Netflicks and You tube and I have to say I don't miss the commercials.

Anyhow if/when the Cosby thing goes to trial and is televised I might just hook up the cable again.

Not reading all the sensationalized stuff has been interesting. Instead I read published articles.

Comment

its up to Target if they want to sell the game or not. Has the actual game been "banned"? So if there was a pedophile in the game it would still be okay? Just trying to see where the line is drawn.

Comment

Card? Domestic violence is the worst crime of crimes and it cripples every aspect of society
                      Worse than murder? I dont think so.

its up to Target if they want to sell the game or not. Has the actual game been "banned"? So if there was a pedophile in the game it would still be okay? Just trying to see where the line is drawn
                      Right so its worth banning the game over violence against women but not murder alone?

Comment

Originally posted by Links17 View Post
                        Worse than murder? I dont think so.
                        I'd hazard a guess that a significant proportion of murders are domestic in nature, and another bunch are men murdering female strangers.

And honestly, a murder is one violent moment in time. A truly horrible one, yes. But domestic violence is a sequence of violent moments, usually worsening over time, with the perpetrator repeating over and over behaviours which he ought to realize are wrong and stop doing.

Comment

My point is the following the game GTA been out for a long time and not banned despite it showing what I consider horrific criminal activity of all sorts under the protection of freedom of speech, artistic liberty etc..

Now by simply declaring it to encourage violence against women THAT is what got it banned.

Does violence against women have a special status as a crime worse than the rest of the crimes committed in the game?

I'd hazard a guess that a significant proportion of murders are domestic in nature, and another bunch are men murdering female strangers.

And honestly, a murder is one violent moment in time. A truly horrible one, yes. But domestic violence is a sequence of violent moments, usually worsening over time, with the perpetrator repeating over and over behaviours which he ought to realize are wrong and stop doing

It is about 20-25% it seems - so significant
                          http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/85-002-...m?fpv=2693#a10

I guess about 32 women are killed a year in Ontario.

Sure but let's not get carried away with ourselves, KILLING somebody (whoever it is) IS MUCH MUCH worse than beating a woman, even torturing a woman - Murder/Death is has a finality to it unlike anything else. I'm not condoning anything but the point is that it seems to be that violence against women along with maybe child sexual abuse have been placed on altars as unholy crimes. I agree about the child abuse one because children are in fact entrusted to us as adults but I don't think (thinking out loud here) there is something particularly nefarious about violently abusing a random male and randomly abusing a female.
                          Last edited by Links17; 12-05-2014, 03:06 AM.

Comment

You're grasping at straws to make a desperate attempt at proving some kind of twisted point relating to a video game that appeals to the degenerates of society.

ALL violence is detrimental to society. Violence against women is inhumane.

Don't you dare even try to minimize the issue of violence against women. What an offensive post to the people here on this forum who have suffered from DV.

Tasteless and ignorant!

Comment

I am for free speech and freedom of expression, even when it is speech or expression I disagree strongly with. Where I would draw the line is reckless endangerment (yelling fire in a crowded theatre) or inciting violence.

But I also don't have any issue at all with Target deciding not to carry a game because they don't want to promote it and what it stands for. Do newspapers have to post every letter to the editor? Of course not. Does Target have a right to decide what merchandise it carries? Of course they do, and the reason can certainly be up to them to chose.

Similarly here, we don't have the right to say whatever comes into our head, we have rules and moderators that have criteria for posts. That does not violate free speech, because free speech has nothing to do with forcing others to publish your speech, it is about your right to express it. If no one will publish it, you can go to the street corner with a soapbox.

I would not buy GTA, nor would I let my kids have it in my residence. It is violent and mysogynistic to be sure. But as much as I don't like it, what I would dislike more is some faceless bureauacracy telling me what and what I cannot hear. It would be better for society for people to speak out against this game and shame the maker if needed, so that there would be a backlash and drop in sales.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X