X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Australian Method for CS

Working out child support using the basic formula

It's amazing australia's CS is so progressive compared to ours considering their method was developed before ours. I read in one of the reports that the Family Law Committee rejected the Australian method of apportioning costs because it had effectively 6 equations and they wanted only one.

In Australia, I would receive $200 more per month than I am receiving right now.

Comment

Originally posted by SadAndTired View Post
      In Australia, I would receive $200 more per month than I am receiving right now.
      Amazing I would be paying $500 dollars less.

Comment

I think the basis for my increased payment in Australia is the income proportion. I make significantly less than stbx and my income matters in this calculation. (Stbx is currently at $70,000 and I am at $9,000.)

Also, stbx is a eow dad (by choice) and therefore my percentage of care is very high....

It is an interesting comparison for sure. I would be interested to hear what other posters' situations would work out to be.

Another website said the key components of this formula are:

(Bolding is mine.)

The key components of the formula are that:
        • it is based on independent research
        • the basis of the formula is the costs of raising children
        both parents’ incomes are taken into account and considered equally
        • the same self-support amount is deducted from each parent’s income before child support is worked out
        • the percentage of care each parent provides is taken into account, and
        • children from first and subsequent families are treated in a similar way

Comment

Interesting... I'm in the same range of income as your ex, but my ex actually has no income (subsides completely off CS, CCTB and a rent subsidy). I have just over 30% of the access time ( I actually worked it out to 31.5% - 115 days / 365 days). and my payment (3 kids) dropped from $1380 to $827. I used the estimator here: https://processing.csa.gov.au/estimator/About.aspx

Comment

Ah, your estimator works better than my pen and pencil. LOL.

The first time I calculated it myself. The second time I used the estimator.

The second result I got was $90 less than my Canadian amount. Perhaps I did it wrong the first time.

Interestingly enough when I put in $9,000 income or 0, the amount stbx would have to pay is the same.

Comment

I think it has to do with the personal reserve (similar the basic personal amount on your taxes) they have in the calculation. Your income is apparently less than the personal reserve used in the calculation so your ex would effectively have 100% of the income percentage.

Comment

Interesting - I rather agree with their method of calculation.

I ran the numbers for my household, and I would receive $100 less per month as opposed to the Canadian tables.

Of course, since I voluntarily receive about $300-350 a month less on the Canadian tables, and have for the last 16 years, I'm not probably the first choice to survey.

I do like the ideal of combining each parents income, and using that as a starting point. After all, we were combined when we were living together and playing the happy family.
                Start a discussion, not a fire. Post with kindness.

Comment

Much like spousal support here, I wonder if Australia has a greater number of parents who are intentionally underemployed so they can have a great amount of child support?

Comment

$453.00/mo more here

Originally posted by SadAndTired View Post
                    Seems its based on "care level" and for most on here who are fighting for equal (50/50 at min) it makes sense.

In cases where a NCP is quite ok with seeing their children "whenever" then it works far better to the parent who does 95% of the "parenting"

Edited to add : the $453/mo is in Cdn $ as I converted the currency
                    Last edited by DunnMom; 03-01-2013, 10:32 PM. Reason: To add info

Comment

Never said it was stbx's fault that I only make $9,000 a year but I have sweat and toiled through our entire marriage so that he could obtain his medical degree. I only made $9,000 or so in each of the last five years (which includes 3.5 years of being married). Prior to kids, I supported him, his education and his ridiculous tuition costs.

Originally it was so our family could have a bright future. He gave up a professional 6 figure income because he was "unhappy" with the job to go to medical school. Short term sacrifice for long term gain.....

I don't see it as any different than I put money, hours and effort into a business. I expect to be able to get some of my investment back. If I worked my butt off and put my time into renovating a house, should I not be entitled to half of its value? What if I grew a business that he got to keep? Would that be fair?

There are complicating factors that go along with our situation that are best kept to myself. Fundamentally when all things are considered (the most important not posted here), I have such a clear case of entitlement that stbx has conceded by paying voluntarily for over a year now.

I would love to work in my field as I love what I do but that will be another year or two while I reestablish that.

I don't disagree that it is a complicated system where everyone seems to lose out in some way. However, in my own situation, table child support/cctb is not enough to level out our households.
                      Last edited by SadAndTired; 03-01-2013, 10:47 PM.

Comment

After calculating, had to impute my ex's income my number is about $200 less than I am paying. I inputed $10 000 and $20 000 for my ex's income but I am not sure her actual income, either way it made no difference.

Comment

My child support would drop from $1261 a month for my 2 kids to $881.00

Comment

Its interesting as well because if I add in potential new children, IE my fiancee and I have a child, my support goes down. Its not a big difference but at least they are taking into account the fact that both children need care.
                            Its all a pipe dream though, our system will not change

Comment

Originally posted by fireweb13 View Post
                              Its interesting as well because if I add in potential new children, IE my fiancee and I have a child, my support goes down. Its not a big difference but at least they are taking into account the fact that both children need care.
                              Its all a pipe dream though, our system will not change
                              A system that accounts for the actual situation of the families and children involved is definitely a breath of fresh air.

It will be slow to change, but it will have to with time. Many states that use the Delaware-Melson method for CS (very similar to what we have in Canada) have started to rescind those tables for other methods. Unfortunately Canada seems to be on the trailing edge of these changes more often than not.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X