Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not sure what I can do

I was living with a woman for 9 years . We have two
    Kids together . No violence physically but she is verbally abusive and works when she wants and then decides she doesn't want to etc . I asked her to leave 18 months ago . She did and I kept the kids . She would visit once in a while . A few months later she moved in with a guy then wanted to see them over night insaid ok and she took them sometimes and bad mouthed me to them . Never given any money for children. Neither of us make very much. She has now moved in with her 3rd guy in 18 months . This is were the trouble starts . I said she could see them once a week and every second weekend at there place . She lives 30 minutes from Ottawa . This was good for a
    Couple weeks . Now she shows up st school and picks them up almost every weekend and I can't stop her unless I leave them home on Fridays and sometimes on Thursdays . I can't afford a lawyer but make to
    Much for legal aid . I have made plans for kids and I and they get picked up at school and I have no recourse . Kids not in danger and don't mind splitting time. But can't go on like this . Is there anything I can do without court order. I can't afford to go to court

I see many people post that they make too much to qualify for legal aid and yet not enough to pay for a lawyer. Someone on here might have more specific information but I see that while a person may not qualify for 100% legal aid funding, they still may be eligible for a portion of subsidy. I was with the impression that if you made too much to qualify for 100% funding you could negotiate a repayment plan. Might be worth checking into further. When dealing with important life issues such as child custody you should get some sort of legal advice.

Comment

This is easy. Women in your situation do this all the time.

1) Get a lawyer
      2) Get interim child support
      3) Get retroactive child support
      4) Use the child support to pay for the lawyer

Not only do you get money for a lawyer, but you strip away money from the mother so she can't afford a lawyer.

You probably need about $1000. Borrow it. You'll get much more than that in CS.

Comment

Thanks, I called and said what I made and they said that I made to much to qualify. They never mentioned partial payment. I understand there is a limit. But when you have 2 kids no financial help and trying and near xmas every penny counts. I will call again.

I make around $38k gross, with 2 kids and was told the limit is $35k. don't know if this is true but person on the phone said that. I am not on social housing and trying to keep kids in same school routine friends etc.

Thanks for the help. I will find the$ 1000.00

Can't even find a part time job as everyone wants every weekend or at nights but every night etc

Comment

information is available online - you just have to dig a bit.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X