Tampered Police Reports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tampered Police Reports

What recourse do I have regarding tampered and modified police reports? I can't get into details right now, but all 3 of these reports have either been modified, tampered with and/or critical information has been blacked out. I'm not talking about black-outs of other people, but the modifications, tampering and blackouts of critical and relevant events.

I've spoken to the officer involved and he denies everything. I've emailed my lawyer (he was the one who instructed me to get those reports). In the meantime, I'd appreciate any helpful comments. Thanks.

P.S. My STBX was a very well-known businessman in the community. This information we're seeking is about him, and it is incriminating.

If you have the original (unaltered) copies of police reports I would simply use those. If you don't have the unaltered version then I don't think there is anything you can do.

Comment

Thanks Arabian, but if I had the original and unaltered reports I wouldn't be asking this question.

Comment

Originally posted by arabian View Post
        If you have the original (unaltered) copies of police reports I would simply use those. If you don't have the unaltered version then I don't think there is anything you can do.
        Would the altered/blacked out version not make the judge question even more maybe??...I wonder

Comment

Caranna, you are saying that the police reports were altered. Do you meant that you request police report about your ex yourself?

Police can not release police reports about someone else without being subject to ATIP regulation.

Under the ATIP regulation they have to block any personnal information. The only way to get unaltered report about someone else would require a court order.

Comment

You imply a 'cover-up' by the attending officer.

Your recourse would be to file a complaint with the appropriate police service board, and follow up on that complaint.

If you obtained said police reports via the freedom of information act; and the people named in said reports did not consent to the release of their private information - you may very well have posession of documents with broad black strokes through them.

That should have been explained in correspondance to you.

If you feel you need to be able to prove certain things that have been blacked out, you would motion the court for 'un-redacted' copies of the same documents. Or, you could subpeona the police court clerk (and/or) the attending officer for trial.

The police court clerk, upon direction, would be obligated to bring all relevent file and be prepared to testify on them. The attending officer could then be questioned as to his understanding of the factual events having had occured.

'police court clerk' is not the proper title. I'm sure if you investigate you'll understand what I mean.
            Last edited by wretchedotis; 04-27-2013, 05:58 PM.

Comment

No, it is the law and not a cover up. No institution can release any personnal information unless it is your own. Therefore when you make such a request they can release the document but blocked all info that is considered personal infomation.

Read the regualation under Access To Information Act. There is nothing you can do unless you have a court order or if the report also contains yourself.

Police Reports are not public information.
              Last edited by Moolight; 04-27-2013, 06:16 PM.

Comment

The reports were about incidents pertaining to his actions against me, not personal information about him.

Comment

Yes, but still about him therefore subject to ATIP. unless you get his consent you may not get the full report.

Comment

Police reports involving incidents that myself and my stbx were involved in were extensively filtered almost to the point of being useless. Even statements that I made were missing. There is an appeal process but if it is personal information you are not going to get it.

Comment

One of the reports, the most important one, appears to be retyped from the officers' usual notebook entries, and except for STBX's name, no blackouts, just the incriminating information gone. Looks like this one will need further investigation.

Comment

How do you know they have been altered? In order to know that you would have to of already had a copy of the reports?

Comment

I didn't say they were altered, but I suppose modify and tampered are somewhat the same meaning. The one I'm most concerned with is supposed to be a copy of a notebook but instead is on a sheet of paper and doesn't mention a very important issue...the physical beating.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                          Working...
                          X