Need help calculating CS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help calculating CS

So the tides seemed to have changed in my situation. Was an every other weekend father, now child #1 has now moved in with me full time. Child #2 has shown interest in a 50/50 week on week off shared custody situation.

How do you calculate child support in this type of situation.

Life is getting good again

You should give it a few months first in case kid changes their mind. Plus you should also be encouraging them to spend time with their mom.

When you do adjust it would be full table for one and then off set for the second.

Comment

Originally posted by rockscan View Post
      You should give it a few months first in case kid changes their mind. Plus you should also be encouraging them to spend time with their mom.

When you do adjust it would be full table for one and then off set for the second.
      I do want them to see their mother. Child #1 is older, goes to school and has a job. Child #2 is 12 years old, and that child is the one that likes the idea of 1 week on 1 week off.

Holding off for a couple months posses a problem as I am still paying full table for both children due to the Ex doesn't agree on what her actually salary should be counted as. She wants it based on net salary as she runs a daycare ($13,500) and wants to include all her tax deductions like mortgage, car payments, car and home repairs, home & auto insurance, cell phone, utilities. I am still waiting on her financial disclosure but her salary before deductions is closer to $45,000 - $55,000 plus what ever she is receiving as a child tax credit for both kids.

My cash well only goes so deep

Comment

Wow...I just did the calculations and if I did it right what a joke!

I have 1 child full-time, and the 2nd child would be 50/50 and I would still be paying her $630 a month child support! Is this possible?

Ontario
        My salary $110,000
        Ex's Salary $40,000 (guessing but due to write offs its pretty much tax free )

Comment

Originally posted by cashcow4ex View Post

I have 1 child full-time, and the 2nd child would be 50/50 and I would still be paying her $630 a month child support! Is this possible?

Ontario
          My salary $110,000

Hmm I got $380 with mysupportcalculator using the numbers you provided. How did you calculate your numbers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Berner_Faith View Post
            Hmm I got $380 with mysupportcalculator using the numbers you provided. How did you calculate your numbers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used this site: Child Support Table Look-up

I could be doing it wrong lol....wouldn't be the first time.

Edit* I think I didnt subtract the money she would owe for Child #1 to me

Comment

Oh hey, the child support tables have changed. I wonder if it's for better or worse.

Your CS for two kids 1594
              Your CS for one kid 989
              Her CS for two kids 597
              Her CS for one kid 359

Anyways, it's a grey area when you have different kids on different access schedules. I don't know which method you used, but here are a couple.

Method one

It could be calculated that you take the amount for one kid that she would pay you for the older kid, and subtract your offset amount to her for the other shared kid.

She pays you 359, you pay her 989-359=630 for a total of $271 from you to her each month.

Method two

You could take the amount for two kids for each of you, divide it in half, and have her pay the full amount to you for one kid and do offset for the other.

She pays you 597/2 = 298.5 and you pay her 1594/2 - 597/2 = 797-298.5 = 498.5 for a total of $200 from you to her each month.

Method three

Or my personal favourite, which I think is fairest and wish was in use: You each put your table CS for both kids in a pool, and take out of the pool in proportion to the amount of time you each have the kids.

You put 1594 in and she puts in 597, for a total of 2191. You have 3/4 of the kids' time, so you get 3/4 of that or 1643.25 and she gets the remaining 547.75. That means you get more than you put in, and she gets less, so the difference is 597-547.25 = 49.25 OR 1643.25-1594 = 49.25. So she pays you $49.25 per month.

A search of CanLII might help you find what method is usually used, cause if you have to argue which one to use with her you know you're each going to go with the one that benefits you the most and end up in court with the one judges like to order. But for a difference of $300 a month between these three methods, is it worth court to you?

Comment

I've never understood that concept. If living situation changes, then CS should change immediately. If it changes back, then CS can revert immediately. Why should there be any lag?

While that would be favourable to OP, what I have actually seen ordered is CS for 2 offset with CS for 1.

Note that strict offset is not mandatory nor law, despite what many on this forum believe.

Comment

Originally posted by Janus View Post
                  While that would be favourable to OP, what I have actually seen ordered is CS for 2 offset with CS for 1.

Method four

You and she pay offset for two kids, then she pays you for one kid.

You pay her 1594 and she pays you 597, and then she pays you another 359, for a total of $638 changing hands from you to her.

Compared to the other three methods, this seems to be the least fair! Am I interpreting this right?

Comment

Originally posted by cashcow4ex View Post

Ontario
                    My salary $110,000
                    You did it wrong. Method easy: Use mysupportcalculator.ca

It would be $379 being paid to the other parent.

Comment

Originally posted by Tayken View Post

Do you know how they calculate that number? It isn't even close to anything I've come up with for a system.

Comment

I would calculate it was mom pays full cs for kid 1 and then you subtract the amount for off set.

And I said the couple months thing in case kid 1 was simply doing it as acting out. Not that I think OP should be paying his ex full cs while its happening. Just that no cs should change hands.

Might want to also look up self employed income calculations. What your ex reports to cra is NOT what is used for child support. It even says it online if youre self employed. I would be challenging her on that.

Comment

Originally posted by Tayken View Post

This I could live with

Thank you everyone.

Comment

I would calculate it was mom pays full cs for kid 1 and then you subtract the amount for off set.

And I said the couple months thing in case kid 1 was simply doing it as acting out. Not that I think OP should be paying his ex full cs while its happening. Just that no cs should change hands.

Might want to also look up self employed income calculations. What your ex reports to cra is NOT what is used for child support. It even says it online if youre self employed. I would be challenging her on that.

I am trying to challenge her on it however sky is red, water is yellow and dirt is purple and there is not changing her mind. Looks like mediation is step one and see from there.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                            Working...
                            X