Permission to travel alone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Permission to travel alone

Im not sure if this should go here or in the vent column. Ill leave it here.

Partners youngest has requested a letter to travel outside Canada. All she has provided is the date, travel mode and time of arrival. No details on who she is meeting or where she is staying. Parents who write these letters, he needs this info right?

(Vent: his ex refused to allow kid to travel alone IN CANADA to see him but is ok with her going alone to a dangerous city outside the country. The kid the ex claims has such serious mental health issues that require thousands of dollars of treatment. The kid who refuses to have a relationship with my partner. The request came in two days after the ex filed her bs claims.)

LOL - I'd be running to sign the form! Excellent documentation of kid's independence and overall mental well being!

Comment

Oh trust me, its gone in the file. The fun part is getting them to admit that theyre withholding info because they dont want him to know about their lives.

Suck and blow!!!

Comment

Originally posted by rockscan View Post
        Partners youngest has requested a letter to travel outside Canada. All she has provided is the date, travel mode and time of arrival. No details on who she is meeting or where she is staying. Parents who write these letters, he needs this info right?

(Vent: his ex refused to allow kid to travel alone IN CANADA to see him but is ok with her going alone to a dangerous city outside the country. The kid the ex claims has such serious mental health issues that require thousands of dollars of treatment. The kid who refuses to have a relationship with my partner. The request came in two days after the ex filed her bs claims.)
        Well, that's a horrid catch-22 of a situation. If he says no, his ex is going to tell the kid that dad is a meanie and it's all his fault she can't go. If he says yes, he's giving even more control to them. So I'd suggest starting with a request for more information and an overture towards the kid. What about something like this:

Based on what you have previously told me of kid's mental health issues, and her inability to travel within Canada, I do not think her travelling outside Canada is wise, and will not be consenting to it unless you can provide me with more specific information about the travel, like a detailed itinerary, who is going with her, and what measures are proposed to help her cope with the stress and responsibility. If you believe she is improving, let's have her visit me first as a mini-introduction to travel, and we can see how that goes before more expanded travel. This will also let me have an opportunity to talk to her about the proposed trip.

Is this a school trip? He could ask the school for more information, and even to come along as a volunteer parent chaperone.

Comment

Its a personal trip. The ex has all the details but hasnt shared. I suggested he request names, address and phone.

Comment

Tayken? Both the movie and the forum poster.

Comment

I like Rioe's response suggestion, especially, since it sounds like there is history here, in the same type of thing not being reciprocated.

It's just good-parenting to not sign off on clandestine, foreign travel requests coming from your kid(s).

Comment

He told her he wanted the names and addresses of the people shes staying with and is waiting. I just shake my head that this woman doesnt see it or she thinks that hes too stupid to put it together.

Comment

I am not sure you are entitled to names AND addresses of those that she is staying with.

You are entitled to a detailed itinerary of the trip. So that would give you the address of the person, but likely not their name. You are entitled to have the emergency contact details for the child at all times if they do not have a cell phone with them.

Comment

Ex provided it over the weekend. I dont think its wrong for him to have it considering the ex refused to allow kid to travel alone to see dad.

Comment

Glad to hear you've been given an address. Search it up just in case. A private investigator monitoring the address for anything unusual may be beneficial.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                      Working...
                      X