Passport and international travel rights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passport and international travel rights

What does it take to obtain an order for OP to obtain a passport and an order for international travel rights?

Is it as simple as just asking for it? What could OP possibly respond back with?

Should this be asked from OP directly before bringing up the issue in court?

We strongly recommend that Canadian children carry a consent letter if they are travelling abroad alone, with only one parent/guardian, with friends or relatives or with a group. For the purposes of this consent letter, a Canadian child is defined as anyone who is under the age of majority (18 or 19, depending on the province or territory of residence).
    https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/children/consent-letter

Comment

We recommend that you talk to a lawyer about the legal issues that apply to you and your children’s unique situation
      How do you physically get the child's passport? My assumption is that you have to ask for an order from the court that the custodial parent let you have the passport during holiday season, or to apply for a passport to begin with, and authorize travel outside of Canada.

All of this given that OP will say No, No, and No.

Comment

Most final orders have a clause that says the passports will be provided upon request.

Comment

If this travel is within your normal vacation allotment, then you just need a clause in your agreement to indicate that
          - for international travel and domestic air travel, other parent will provide notarized consent letter and passport at least 10d before the trip
          -consent not to be unreasonably withheld
          - what travel details are required, beyond basic contact info
          - how much notice is required
          - who normally holds the passport,
          - a valid passport is to be maintained at all times

You might also consider adding something to permit usage of a Nexus pass

Comment

You might also want to include a line similar to "neither party will prevent the other from opportunities for the children when they arise" or something like that.

Comment

Travel Consent going unanswered by other parent

My fiancée is having one heck of a hard time trying to get in contact with her ex husband so that she can get permanent ability to have her daughter travel with us.
              Her ex-husband has not been in contact with them for four years now. Three attempts have been made through letters done up by a lawyer and all have been unanswered.

What steps can be taken now? Will this result in a court summoning for both of them to appear together?

Pls advise.

Thanks,

Filthy1

Comment

What does it say in the divorce order? If you are going away during your fiancee' parenting time, then having the divorce order in hand will help avoid any drama if asked by border immigration

Originally posted by filthy1 View Post
                My fiancée is having one heck of a hard time trying to get in contact with her ex husband so that she can get permanent ability to have her daughter travel with us.
                Her ex-husband has not been in contact with them for four years now. Three attempts have been made through letters done up by a lawyer and all have been unanswered.

What steps can be taken now? Will this result in a court summoning for both of them to appear together?

Pls advise.

Thanks,

Filthy1

Comment

File a motion, attempt every possible way to locate and serve him, document all of it. Present info to the judge and ask for an ex parte order, sole custody, his consent not required and potential termination of parental rights if necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by blinkandimgone View Post
                    File a motion, attempt every possible way to locate and serve him, document all of it. Present info to the judge and ask for an ex parte order, sole custody, his consent not required and potential termination of parental rights if necessary.
                    Prior to doing this... Make an offer to settle, fill out the passport forms, sign them and attach them to the offer to settle. Outline the dates you want to travel and to where. Also provide every detail about where you will be staying in the offer to settle.

If the other parent has a lawyer they will compell them to be reasonable. If they are not and you do have to go on motion. Then you will get your costs.

Comment

As Canada doesn't have passport control when leaving the country, I'm curious who checks if the parents are separated or divorces and if the child has permission from the other parent to travel.

Back before my separation, my STBX and child travelled overseas just about every year. Only once, when reentering Canada, did the customs people ask if she had a letter. I remember thinking that it's a little late to check when they are returning to the country.

Comment

You are right...they only bother checking when a person flies / drives back

Originally posted by ifonlyihadknown View Post
                        As Canada doesn't have passport control when leaving the country, I'm curious who checks if the parents are separated or divorces and if the child has permission from the other parent to travel.

Back before my separation, my STBX and child travelled overseas just about every year. Only once, when reentering Canada, did the customs people ask if she had a letter. I remember thinking that it's a little late to check when they are returning to the country.

Comment

Originally posted by ifonlyihadknown View Post
                          There are no outbound checks done by CND government. So it is up to the country that they are going to to check or the airline.

As a result things like this happen more than they should:

Grandpa sentenced for helping daughter take sons to Poland - Toronto - CBC News

Comment

Some countries have measures in place to put a child on a watch list for crossing without permission. The US does it. Its a complicated process but if you have a concern your child will be abducted, its worth looking into.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                            Working...
                            X