X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Second job

Hello all,
    Another question.
    If I get a second job after the separation, does that income get added to the equation in determining child support?

thanks

Yes because it will go on your taxes. Anything you earn you have to claim as income for child support.

Comment

...and, once you have taken a second job and increased your CS obligations, you may not be allowed to stop doing that second job.

If you pay CS, there is no value in officially working more than you already do. Your ex will possibly get more than half of the real income from the second job, since you have to pay for all the extra expenses of the new job while she just gets the money for free. If you must take on a second job make sure to be paid in cash and never mention it to the ex or the kids.

Comment

I turned down a promotion for that reason.

1) cs then possibly ss is based on gross. Not net, so.....say your grossed another 10k. After all deductions etc your down to 4500. It's based on 10K.

2) two years from now, the position comes up for review, you don't get it again, your on the hook for the 10k. I.e. you might have to get another job to pay for it. If you don't, it's seen as 'avoidance'. Asked my lawyer the exact question.

You may even have to work past your retirement date.

It's kind of like SS. Who in their right mind would get another job if you are receiving SS. Why would you work part time, when you don't have to. It's like a lotto win. Why take courses etc., to better your self.

I would be very cautious with this. Take cash if you can. Hard to trace and expensive to do so. AND don't tell your ex anything. The claws come out when money is on the line. My humble opinion.

Comment

I will offer a different perspective. While yes the second job will come into play for CS and maybe SS depending on your agreement, if you're own household needs more money then a second job helps you out as well.

My husband pays full CS... when his marriage ended he only made $30k a year for the past 5 years because he worked at a factory all his marriage.

Fast forward 8 years, he has landed himself a financial management job paying basically double. Over the years of us being together he has furthered his education and worked his way up the ladder. Sure his ex benefits from this (even though his children should be the ones benefitting) but we also benefit. The percentage he pays his ex isn't always fair but we also have gotten further ahead because of his increased income.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

unless you can get paid cash under the table, don't take the second job.

Going to school part time instead of a second job and taking a higher paying job down the line would make more sense to me.

Comment

lol...I've changed jobs to increase my pay and taken multiple promotions since my divorce.

Yes I pay more in child support but I make a lot more and so should my kid.

If the second job is temporary and you can't maintain it, I wouldn't do it. But if it improves your quality of life and as a result, your child gets more money...I wouldn't let that hold me back.

The amount of CS I pay is a pittance compared to the benefits of getting promoted...but I do pay offset...not full table. So that makes a difference.

Simply do the calculation with both salaries and figure out what makes sense for your finances.

Comment

Originally posted by Pursuinghappiness View Post
                lol...I've changed jobs to increase my pay and taken multiple promotions since my divorce.

Yes I pay more in child support but I make a lot more and so should my kid.

If the second job is temporary and you can't maintain it, I wouldn't do it. But if it improves your quality of life and as a result, your child gets more money...I wouldn't let that hold me back.

The amount of CS I pay is a pittance compared to the benefits of getting promoted...but I do pay offset...not full table. So that makes a difference.

Simply do the calculation with both salaries and figure out what makes sense for your finances.

Me too. It's irritating to have pay more in offset CS because I'm getting ahead at work, but the value to my own household (as well as the gratification that comes from seeing my efforts rewarded) outweighs any pain.

Comment

Originally posted by North of 40 View Post
                  I turned down a promotion for that reason.

1) cs then possibly ss is based on gross. Not net, so.....say your grossed another 10k. After all deductions etc your down to 4500. It's based on 10K.

2) two years from now, the position comes up for review, you don't get it again, your on the hook for the 10k. I.e. you might have to get another job to pay for it. If you don't, it's seen as 'avoidance'. Asked my lawyer the exact question.

You may even have to work past your retirement date.

It's kind of like SS. Who in their right mind would get another job if you are receiving SS. Why would you work part time, when you don't have to. It's like a lotto win. Why take courses etc., to better your self.

I would be very cautious with this. Take cash if you can. Hard to trace and expensive to do so. AND don't tell your ex anything. The claws come out when money is on the line. My humble opinion.
                  As a recipient of SS I can assure you it is not a "lotto win" - it is fully taxed for the year in which you receive it. In my situation, as SS is inconsistent (some years I receive it, other years I do not) it screws with my taxes in a big way.

I would gladly accept the thousands, upon thousands of dollars which my ex absconded with, at the time of our separation, instead.

Please do not make such wide-stretching generalized statements. SS is NOT the same as child support. The person who pays SS (you) receives a tax CREDIT.

Upgrading your education is your own personal (and likely tax deductible for you) decision. What you do AFTER your separation has no bearing on the amount of SS you pay today. I think it stands to reason, however, that if you improve your situation in life you will be a happier, more confident individual don't you agree? Using a failing past-relationship as an excuse for not pursuing self-improvement bespeaks a kind of "victim" mentality in my opinion.

Comment

VeryConfused: If you get a second job...your just going to pay it away in taxes first then half of what is remaining to your deadbeat ex. The laws in Canada as you're finding out is VERY HOSTILE toward the working parent. Hence the moral of the story is "While in Canada do NOT get married or attached". Not that it matters but, Massachusetts USA recently changed their laws to respect equality across parents; ie 2nd jobs are not to be included into payment equations; SS is terminated after 3 months living with another, CS has been reduced etc. Time to move to Boston....

As an option to earn additional funds, you could take up UBER. CRA allows for millage deduction of $0.56/km; ironically thats what you get on average from UBER. Its not much but it helps put food on the table, it keeps your hard earned money in your pocket and NOT your lazy ex's pocket, and you work your own hours. Down side: it wont make you rich. I know of 5 other fathers paying outrageous CS/SS working UBER....

ARABIAN: You're kidding? Who are you kidding? You say, "SS is NOT a lottery win"? Man goes to work, man makes money, woman stays home, woman complains, woman gets money. hmmm? let me think some more hmmm? Nope its a lottery win. If it were not a lottery win, I should be able to stay home and collect money from my deadbeat ex......but I can not....just like I can not seem to find the 6 numbers to get 6/49. Similarities between a lottery and SS: Lotto - Must choose the correct 6 numbers out of a 49 that match the random numbers; SS - Must choose the correct man out of random suitors that earn a good salary and is stupid enough to marry in Canada; Lotto - you get to live on money you never had to work for; SS - You get to live on money you never had to work for. YUP SS is a lottery, pick the wrong guy(s) and your take home will be lower.

SS is a means for a deadbeat parent to take revenge against the other parent; is a means to live a more comfortable life on the back of someone else's hard work, is a means to limit the success and motivation of the other parent due to their limited ability to increase their financial wealth, is a means to use the other parent to reduce your own financial burdens that are independent of the other parent, is a means to better your life at the expense of the other parent.......is a means to insure your completely dependent on the other parent and are unable to support yourself or your family on your own.

Arabian, Become a strong independent modern woman....let your ex go. Do you really need him? Why are you hanging on to him? Release him...be a strong women....take care of yourself. Why do you need to rely on "forced' payments from your ex to survive? Just remember, suicide rates for divorced SS paying fathers quadruple that of divorced mothers receiving SS....I wonder why? I think its salt in ones eye that you would have the nerve to take SS, knowing that suicide rates for separated fathers are so high and yet you post a "suicide help" post in December. You want to help suicide rates? Refuse your SS for starters, then join CAFE to promote equality!

I've been sleeping on the floor for the last 12 months, as I can not afford a bed to sleep on; yet my ex took a vacation to Florida and she does not work. I want that lifestyle! Its now my turn! oh wait...I was not lucky enough to win the LOTTERY!

Comment

Hey, don't snark at Arabian. She isn't receiving spousal support because she's "won the lottery" and is too lazy to get a job, she receives it because her ex bilked their joint company of hundreds of thousands of dollars and spousal support is the only way to recover any of it. He profited off her work for their company, and she's getting compensated for that. If you've read any of her threads, you'll know that her ex keeps going to court to try to get the SS order overturned, and he keeps losing. Why? Because Arabian has an excellent case for spousal support and judges recognize this. They don't hand it out like Halloween candy. They look at the facts of Arabian's marriage and decide accordingly. There are certainly some people (male and female) who are getting spousal support that isn't justifiable, but she isn't one of them.

And spousal support has nothing to do with suicide rates. I tried to follow that logic and ... I just gave up.

Comment

Yikes!!! Cant believe I just read that.

Yes...ditto with Stripes

Comment

Wow Newfie... you sure are a bitter one. You do realize that marriage takes two? The decisions made in a marriage take two? If your ex was sitting at home and you didn't agree why didn't you leave? If you had to get up every morning and work while your ex sat at home and you didn't agree, why didn't you leave? You created this situation just as much as your ex did. But of course most payors won't admit they are also at fault. They blame the lazy ex and courts. You're old enough to take responsibility for your actions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Hilarious! Even my ex would find Newfie's post laughable.

Just last week I temporarily lifted my ex's SS payments. Ex continues to be (as this poster likely is) a disaster when it comes to finances. He squandered all of our money on a large home (which he ended up having to sell), trips and stupid shit for his g/f. I am acutely aware that my ex could be bull-shitting me. He has a documented history of lying to the court so he doesn't get any sympathy from the court. At least 8 different judges have upheld my SS Order and I can assure that not one judge felt that I was a deadbeat.

I have been self-sufficient all of my adult life. I provided financing for our business and bought one of our matrimonial homes. I was a good catch for my ex. He knows it now more than ever.

If you sleep on the floor then you have no one but yourself to blame. Get a second job, stay with a friend (if you have any) or go to court and get a stay of enforcement to temporarily relieve yourself and become the deadbeat parent that you sound like you aspire to be?

Yes I do give advice to people contemplating suicide: suicide is the ultimate selfish act. One should focus less on themselves and more on others. Try volunteering to better-balance your view on your own situation as there are ALWAYS people out there who are worse off than you are.

OR you can do what others do - find another unsuspecting woman to shack up with and produce more children with?
                            Last edited by arabian; 02-01-2017, 09:54 AM.

Comment

I guess your ex manages her money better than you do. Sleeping on the floor indicates poor money management skills.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X