Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Protesting at the court house

Hi all...

I was wondering how legal it is to carry a protest sign in front of the court house these days. Fathers for justice sort of thing.

Are we still a free country with constitutional protections or will you get halled off the sidewalk like were in east Germany?

just curious to know, I searched on the forums here and didn't see anything.

Thanks

The law of street protest in Canada : Law is Cool

Quick google nets....

Comment

Thanks for the link, I had seen a few sites like that. Thats for large groups. I`m talking just one person, in front of the court house. On the sidewalk, not blocking traffic or causing a disruption, no noise.

Was wondering since I don't see much of this sort of thing. No convicts protesting their convictions..lol.

Comment

Originally posted by toronto_father2 View Post
        Thanks for the link, I had seen a few sites like that. Thats for large groups. I`m talking just one person, in front of the court house. On the sidewalk, not blocking traffic or causing a disruption, no noise.

Was wondering since I don't see much of this sort of thing( no convicts protesting their convictions..lol). Is the sidewalk around the court house sacred ground, In the event anyone has seen or heard of anything directly about it.
        Large groups do not have constituional rights. Individual people do, and the principles hold for one as much as 100.

At one point in my life, I worked on Parliament Hill, across the street from the Bank of Canada. Every Thursday like clockwork the same protesters picketed with signs for years. Three of them. There was never an incident.

But give the police a reason to interupt you and they will. Don't interefere with sidewalk traffic, don't engage in disruptions of the public peace and you should be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by toronto_father2 View Post
          Hi all...

I was wondering how legal it is to carry a protest sign in front of the court house these days. Fathers for justice sort of thing.

Are we still a free country with constitutional protections or will you get halled off the sidewalk like were in east Germany?

just curious to know, I searched on the forums here and didn't see anything.

Thanks

Protest away! I thought about doing this myself. Call the media....as I am sure you'll get a intimidation visit from the cops...Let them remove you and hopefully the media would be there to capture it all. I would bring a friend that could video it as well.

Comment

I'll join you juys. I'll book a day off and WILL join you. The cops are fathers (majority) too.

Comment

How about justice for all of us - not just fathers?

Comment

OP, what are you protesting exactly ? I may join you too.

Comment

Originally posted by HappyMomma View Post

I think we have to understand what is being "protested".

I for one am disgusted at the way FCS Renfrew in my area has acted as judge, jury and executioner without even speaking to me and based on BS by stbx. For the past 8 months of my life, they have stonewalled me and prejudged me as some a**hole father.

I would be happy to protest about that. I would be happy to protest the lack of ethics and standards that most family lawyers have. The way they exploit pain and grief for their own personal gain.

Legal aid should be available to everyone, like health care. Right now if your middle class it can financially destroy you.

I can go on.

Comment

I am all for it but how many cases you personally know when a father takes the children and moves them from the matrimonial home elsewhere, claims the primary custodian rights and acts as such and then the mother needs to prove in court that she has rights to be with the children at least 50% of the time, spending thousands of dollars in the process?

Just honestlly please tell me this. Thanks

Yes, I know for very sure there are bad, bad fathers out there. I also personally know tons of fathers that are million time better than any mother and I am mother myself. Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by Mother View Post
                      I am all for it but how many cases you personally know when a father takes the children and moves them from the matrimonial home elsewhere, claims the primary custodian rights and acts as such and then the mother needs to prove in court that she has rights to be with the children at least 50% of the time, spending thousands of dollars in the process?

Just honestlly please tell me this. Thanks

Yes, I know for very sure there are bad, bad fathers out there. I also personally know tons of fathers that are million time better than any mother and I am mother myself. Thanks again.
                      Thank you for understanding so succinctly. Now, where is that box of Kleenex?

I think fathers have an uphill battle from the start, and you better have the skin to "fight".

The good news is that the system is slowly doing a 180 in my favor. There is a lot of inertia there and it takes a lot of effort (and you can get screwed by a bad lawyer in the meantime) but it is possible. I know. I am doing it.
                      Last edited by plainNamedDad44; 10-21-2013, 01:09 PM.

Comment

FatherAs someone who has spent over 85k in the family law INDUSTRY. I've seen criminal in their orange jump suits given more respect and room in front of a judge then most fathers. We're treated as checkbook daddies where are sole purpose is to pay...pay...pay. Fathers are not treated with equal standing and bias against fathers is clear and evident....however this treatment is allowed to continue. I haven't really seen an outcry from women...with the exception of a small few (god bless their soles) it usually isn't until they themselves who are now effected. Meaning now that some...and when I say some... I mean a few are experiencing having fathers with custody and majority of access...now having to pay CS....that now all of a sudden its an issue that they need to be included in. Personally I don't care what gender you are....what fathers go thru....or a mother...no one should be treated differently and should be given equal standing

It maybe unfortunate that some woman are now seeing the other side however IMO woman should join our cause and as a result maybe it will change for all.
                        Last edited by LostFather; 10-21-2013, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Completely agreed. While I admit, men often have an uphil battle...its imperative for these men to know that there are women in the exact same situations.

Comment

It would be therapeutic for me to do something. I cant see the child, mom is blocking reasonable access so if I cant spend time with the child and I`m not doing anything...why not hit the court house and log some time at the picket line...I`m not doing a call to action...its that in my sadness I have to do something productive...turn that sadness into action.

Comment

Originally posted by plainNamedDad44 View Post
                              Thank you for understanding so succinctly. Now, where is that box of Kleenex?

I think fathers have an uphill battle from the start, and you better have the skin to "fight".

The good news is that the system is slowly doing a 180 in my favor. There is a lot of inertia there and it takes a lot of effort (and you can get screwed by a bad lawyer in the meantime) but it is possible. I know. I am doing it.
                              Check your desk. Kleenex should be somewhere there.

They say "People deserve the governement they have" and this is true in our case as well. If we do nothing, we deserve what we have in family courts and we have no right to complain. I just want to do little something to change things. Every child and parent has right to be togethet equally. Violence excluded of course.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X